Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

why australia? any more advice?

why australia? any more advice?

Old Jun 29th 2010, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: why australia? any more advice?

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Put simply, more losers spend a greater amount of time on their own typing their bitterness into the internet, than winners do. There are plenty of intelligent winners on this forum, but they are outnumbered by the former.
Are you inferring that people who dislike living in Australia are "losers" and "unintelligent" or have I misread that? You really do not like people who do not like Australia do you?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:39 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Are you inferring that people who dislike living in Australia are "losers" and "unintelligent" or have I misread that? You really do not like people who do not like Australia do you?
I'm not sure either

Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe they mean that people who are disenchanted with any particular lifestyle choice, wherever they are living, are more likely to spend time online complaining about it & looking for support from like-minded souls. Those who are settled with the choices they have made & are just going along happily living their lives, don't tend to spend hours online...

maybe

Old Jun 29th 2010, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

mojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nicemojo72 is just really nice

[QUOTE=Bermudashorts;8665497]Are you inferring that people who dislike living in Australia are "losers" and "unintelligent" or have I misread that? You really do not like people who do not like Australia do you? [/QUOTE

]VE175 Accountant lodged 01.05.09; VISA GRANTED 4.12.09. Move to Sydney 06.07.10 ... start job 12.07.2010.

Best of luck with your move, BermudaShorts!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 3:08 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojo72
Just read through some replies to a posting 'why australia' by another member - a lot seems to be negative - are there any positive aspects to coming out there ?????
Nope, it's backwards, racist and parochial.

I love it, your mileage may differ
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Do you mean implied? What I infer and imply about Australia could be two entirely different things, after all. But in this case it is clear I did not imply anything of the sort.

My point was that people who spend all day long criticising a country on the internet are motivated by quite different impluses than people who spend all day helping people with objective information.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:30 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: why australia? any more advice?

My point was that people who spend all day long criticising a country on the internet are motivated by quite different impluses than people who spend all day helping people with objective information.
I have to agree.

BB
Old Jun 29th 2010, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Seneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond reputeSeneca21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
I'm not sure either

Giving the benefit of the doubt, maybe they mean that people who are disenchanted with any particular lifestyle choice, wherever they are living, are more likely to spend time online complaining about it & looking for support from like-minded souls. Those who are settled with the choices they have made & are just going along happily living their lives, don't tend to spend hours online...

maybe

Exactly. If one was 100% content and led a busy life packed with interesting work and a hectic social schedule, one would not be able to rack up 10,000 posts on an internet forum. But these are just the kind of people who would be enthusiastic about their new environment.

Conversely, those with boring jobs, or those who are unemployed are more likely to spend hours collecting 10,000 posts whingeing about their new environment. In addition to this, once inside a forum with the above inherent bias - well, misery loves company, as they say.

This sample is biased, for sure.

I'll add in edit that there are plenty of good, helpful and happy people on this site, it seems to me (I made this point in my first post), but that they seem to be outnumbered by the Doom & Gloom Brigade.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly. If one was 100% content and led a busy life packed with interesting work and a hectic social schedule, one would not be able to rack up 10,000 posts on an internet forum. But these are just the kind of people who would be enthusiastic about their new environment.

Conversely, those with boring jobs, or those who are unemployed are more likely to spend hours collecting 10,000 posts whingeing about their new environment. In addition to this, once inside a forum with the above inherent bias - well, misery loves company, as they say.

This sample is biased, for sure.

I'll add in edit that there are plenty of good, helpful and happy people on this site, it seems to me (I made this point in my first post), but that they seem to be outnumbered by the Doom & Gloom Brigade.
Employed, Happy with Oz and working in ED can hardly be called boring.... but post online coz I work unsocial hours and HE doesn't like it when I wake HIM up in the middle of the night to have a chat...
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:26 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mojo72
Just read through some replies to a posting 'why australia' by another member - a lot seems to be negative - are there any positive aspects to coming out there ?????
safer, cleaner, slower pace of life, great climate, lifestyle very orientated around family and friends, incredible natural environment, great tasting beer*.

* Actually I might be stretching the truth a little re: the beer.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by asprilla
great tasting beer*.

I don't know about that. James Squire's porter is better than Guinness for sure.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
safer, cleaner, slower pace of life, great climate, lifestyle very orientated around family and friends, incredible natural environment, great tasting beer*.

stretching the truth.???????.. as much as I love life in Oz... the beer is sh1te
Old Jun 29th 2010, 11:45 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: why australia? any more advice?

Originally Posted by eddie007
stretching the truth.???????.. as much as I love life in Oz... the beer is sh1te
Mate you come from a state which brews my favourite mass produced beer - Redback.

I still say though that the very best beer comes from Victorian microbreweries. My favourite is the Bright brewery.

BB
Old Jun 30th 2010, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Mate you come from a state which brews my favourite mass produced beer - Redback.

I still say though that the very best beer comes from Victorian microbreweries. My favourite is the Bright brewery.

BB
I take back what I said and apologise... forgot about Little Creatures...
Old Jun 30th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

neil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond reputeneil248 has a reputation beyond repute

Got to agree about the beer though, most people seem to drink absolute rubbish and make out it is good stuff. Easily avoided though as Coopers beers are fine and sit next to the other stuff so not hard to find.
Old Jun 30th 2010, 5:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Do you mean implied? What I infer and imply about Australia could be two entirely different things, after all. But in this case it is clear I did not imply anything of the sort.

You're so funny.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.