British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   WHY? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/why-645529/)

Dreamy Dec 20th 2009 11:07 pm

Re: WHY?

Originally Posted by mohogony (Post 8187186)
Why do some people with great well paid jobs , a great house in a nice area and plenty of friends and family want to immigrate to OZ? are most of these people doomed to return to the UK becasue OZ can't make up for what they have left behind.

We did just that. We lived in a beautiful village just outside York, kids went to a great school, OH had a damn fine job. He was so good at it (lol) that he was offered a job out here, which he took. Nothing ventured, nothing gained etc.

Other Half is now on approximately double that of his wages in the UK (depending on exchange rate), we have a beautiful house on about 1/3 acre in the fantabulous Blue Mountains and have just as wonderful a life as we did in the UK.

Why on earth would we want to return back to the UK?

Amazulu Dec 20th 2009 11:12 pm

Why do some people with great well paid jobs , a great house in a nice area and plenty of friends and family want to immigrate to OZ? are most of these people doomed to return to the UK becasue OZ can't make up for what they have left behind.

I had all of the above (apart from family) in the UK and still emigrated. I have it even better here.

stevenglish Dec 20th 2009 11:16 pm

We did it too, were very comfortable, good friends, great family. Just wanted adventure though, my wife and I were both born, brought up, and worked and lived in the same town for nigh on 40 years.

That was 2 years ago, next year we go to Malaysia, South Africa, Botswana, Bosnia, and India, I got the adventure I wanted at last:)

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 20th 2009 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by stevenglish (Post 8187996)
... next year we go to Malaysia, South Africa, Botswana, Bosnia, and India, I got the adventure I wanted at last:)

You need to get that coach driver a better map mate. I'm sure he should have turned left at Albuquerque. :)

mohogony Dec 21st 2009 12:23 am

Originally Posted by stevenglish (Post 8187996)
We did it too, were very comfortable, good friends, great family. Just wanted adventure though, my wife and I were both born, brought up, and worked and lived in the same town for nigh on 40 years.

That was 2 years ago, next year we go to Malaysia, South Africa, Botswana, Bosnia, and India, I got the adventure I wanted at last:)

Are you a third world aid worker or something?

Hutch Dec 21st 2009 12:45 am

My wife's globe-trotting 75 year old Aunt is staying with us at the moment (just back from some hiking in the high country in NZ) and the subject of why some people get on okay and some hate it came up. She said that some people were just always looking for something better and it didn't really matter where they ended up, they'd soon be looking for the next 'better'.

BAY Dec 21st 2009 1:48 am

Originally Posted by quoll (Post 8187605)
The grass is greener and the tv tells us Australia is paradise.

Because it is ! :thumbsup::thumbup:

moneypenny20 Dec 21st 2009 1:50 am

Why not?:D

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 21st 2009 2:25 am

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 8188208)
Because it is ! :thumbsup::thumbup:

There is no way that grass is greener in Australia than the UK. It's brown for half the year. :p

Hebe Dec 21st 2009 2:35 am

We are not doomed to return - although I don't think we are! We did it because we could. I gave up my own house, car, career to follow my new husband here as he got a job offer and I thought "nothing ventured, nothing gained".

We are both very outgoing and so haven't found it difficult to make friends. Our true friends from the UK come and visit and as for family we pay for them to come - which for them is a double :thumbsup: as they get to see us and have a great holiday too. A win/win situation.

ABCDiamond Dec 21st 2009 2:38 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8188255)
There is no way that grass is greener in Australia than the UK. It's brown for half the year. :p

Not sure the Tasmanians would agree with you .... in fact, many Queenslanders won't agree with that either. :thumbup:

ShoreyM Dec 21st 2009 2:42 am

[QUOTE=Petals;8187421]For their children, even though they have a really good life they feel their children may not in the future.

QUOTE]

Spot on. That's why we did it. Everyone has a different story though.

ozzieeagle Dec 21st 2009 3:04 am

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 8187676)
Probably.

However, fewer people than you might think have a life with all of those attributes . . .

There seem to be a fair few on my London Board. I'd say a large proportion of the well heeled Surryites and other Home Counties migrants, that are something in the City need not apply.

In fact it was via My London board and meeting someone off of it who had migrated here with his Aussie Wife, circa 6-7 years back that woke me up to the fact that a fair proportion of people from the UK who liked Aus... still preferred life back in the UK and according to him the far wider diversity and choice. It actually took me aback at the time and was pre my days on this board. Most of them are well established and have plenty of choice and spending power.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 21st 2009 3:41 am

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond (Post 8188272)
Not sure the Tasmanians would agree with you .... in fact, many Queenslanders won't agree with that either. :thumbup:

Tassie I will give you... but how can you tell what colour it is in QLD when its underwater? :)

ABCDiamond Dec 21st 2009 4:24 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 8188362)
Tassie I will give you... but how can you tell what colour it is in QLD when its underwater? :)

Not had a flood here since, well at least since I arrived in 2002... :D