Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Why is it.............

Why is it.............

Old Oct 5th 2008, 6:54 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute
Default Why is it.............

......that whenever you have time off work for holidays, you get sick. Its just the cruelest phenomenon in the world. You work your ass off all year, come home on that last Friday knowing you have a whole week to relax, do what you like (well actually I'll be running round like a blue assed flea packing and sorting stuff) and bingo!!!!! Within 24 hours you get the worst "autumn cold" known to man. Its pants.

UK weather is pants too!

Oh yeh thats why I'm swopping it!

Rant over!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default Re: Why is it.............

I know what you mean, its sods law!

hoping your feeling better soon

Bluekipper
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ponyrama
......that whenever you have time off work for holidays, you get sick. Its just the cruelest phenomenon in the world. You work your ass off all year, come home on that last Friday knowing you have a whole week to relax, do what you like (well actually I'll be running round like a blue assed flea packing and sorting stuff) and bingo!!!!! Within 24 hours you get the worst "autumn cold" known to man. Its pants.

UK weather is pants too!

Rant over!
hope you get better soon, sent you a little get well Karma
Old Oct 5th 2008, 8:24 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluekipper
I know what you mean, its sods law!

hoping your feeling better soon

Bluekipper
Originally Posted by mad city fan

Awwww thank you! My mates in Oz just call me a whinging pomme! Ha ha!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You could check to see whether you are able to convert your rec leave into sick leave with a doctor's note - you certainly can here. It seems very unfair to be crook on your holiday that's for sure! Hope you get well soon!
Old Oct 5th 2008, 10:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ponyrama

UK weather is pants too!

Rant over!
Sending lots of sympathy, and a partial explanation that I got from a doctor years ago - when you're at work, you keep pushing your body to work hard, thus you keep it alert and watchful and thus it beats the germs. As soon as you relax - stopping work for a holiday is a good example - you unconsciously let down your alertness level, and thats when the germs get in.
Best way to beat it is to have stuff planned for the first few days at least, so that your body knows there is stuff it has to do, and so it has to keep going. Sounds crazy, but its all true :
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:08 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, my husband used to fly around the world like crazy on business, then be ill for the first few days of every holiday. Once the adrenalin stops pumping, the bugs seem to get to you.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

jaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nicejaca is just really nice

It happens in OZ too ...the kids have just had 2 weeks hols & I've had tonsillitis:curse::curse: VERY bad timing...& it's been SOOOOOO hot & our container arrived...why can we put things like flu on hold to a more appropriate time
but still would rather be here with a sore throat & a ragin temp in the scorchin sunshine than back in uk
jacq
Old Oct 6th 2008, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

TMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to beholdTMRE is a splendid one to behold

Or you step of the plane in to a new country where your immune system is met with the local virus red carpet!. They are sneaky though, they wait until you have been here for a few weeks and then pounce! Just got over a cold in the UK before we left and had another really nasty one here. Plus I now seem to have hayfever which I didn't have in the UK
Old Oct 6th 2008, 5:28 am
beach bum

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Sending lots of sympathy, and a partial explanation that I got from a doctor years ago - when you're at work, you keep pushing your body to work hard, thus you keep it alert and watchful and thus it beats the germs. As soon as you relax - stopping work for a holiday is a good example - you unconsciously let down your alertness level, and thats when the germs get in.
Best way to beat it is to have stuff planned for the first few days at least, so that your body knows there is stuff it has to do, and so it has to keep going. Sounds crazy, but its all true :

Thanks Polly - that definitely sounds like a bad dose of what I've got! Oh well - down with the lemsip max strength capsules and on with the sorting.
Old Oct 6th 2008, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

margy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to allmargy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Hi All,

The same explanation goes for migraines. Quite a few people just get them at the weekend after working like the devil and having a stressful week. Your body senses you are relaxing and thinks right I've got time to have this damn migraine now.

Of course it could also coincide with the Friday night take out and glass (or more) of wine.

Thanks All.

M
Old Oct 6th 2008, 8:20 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad city fan
Bet you felt sick yesterday around 4.45.