Wikiposts

Why???

Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:31 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I knew this thread would turn into an anti-Uk rant

G
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

jerzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Because I've worked hard for 15 years to get where I am now and I now realise it wasn't worth the effort.
To get out of a country where you're judged not by who you are but by what you own and what labels you wear.
Hopefully to provide a more balanced family life for my son and to help him avoid falling into the 'work to own' mentality that I so easily fell into.

I don't know whether Oz will be any different but I certainly will !
Old Jun 9th 2004, 9:55 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Why???

Originally posted by Grayling
Wasn't aimed at you Chippy.

It was at the thread in General.

It's just the way some of these threads turn out that I was commenting on.

G
Yeah. Know what you mean. Sometimes it can be funny though.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:00 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Why?

Originally posted by Simone
But 90% (or something like that) live in a few cities on the coast.

There are a lot of big empty deserts in Oz.........
Although I live in the city I love that feeling that I can go to a place where there will be no-one else for gawd knows how many miles.

It's the feeling of knowing that you can go to an isolated place if you want that is important. You just can't get that in the UK.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why?

Originally posted by chippy
Although I live in the city I love that feeling that I can go to a place where there will be no-one else for gawd knows how many miles.

It's the feeling of knowing that you can go to an isolated place if you want that is important. You just can't get that in the UK.
One of the things I loved in Oz is when your driving on the B class roads, you can actually count in terms of 10's of minutes, how long it is till you see another car.

All the car adverts in the UK paint that picture, wide open roads, no-one else for miles. In Oz you can actually do it.

In my own twisted way, I really enjoyed driving with the petrol light on looking for the nearest petrol station in outback victoria. It was exciting. In UK it would have just been embarrassing to run out 1 mile from a petrol station.

JTL
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy
Yeah. Know what you mean. Sometimes it can be funny though.
It Can, but then some people go getting all upset

Best wishes

G
Old Jun 9th 2004, 10:57 am
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by sjn2003
Last chance to do something/live somewhere different before children nail us down in one place or we become too set in our ways.

Why Australia? Climate, outdoors lifestyle, English speaking, have a visa.
Your only here on this planet the once ........ so why not broaden your horizonse
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to alllynnbrooks is a name known to all
Default Re: Why ?

Originally posted by Graham67
Why not.
Love Scotland, and uk in general. I know moving my wife and son to the other side of the world, is a rather drastic move but I hope the correct one. I have the same worries as most of you, money, settling in, work, schools etc.
We have just passed stage 1 (skills assessment) and fingers crossed if visa's available will move mid to end next year.
Main reason for moving is my son, he seems to spend too much time indoors due to the wet/cold weather. He plays football, swims for our District and loves the outdoors as we do, problem is he is prevented by our wet climate.
We decided to give our son his secondary education in Aussie, as their education standards are very good, according to my family in sydney.
We consider it a new start, an adventure, a change of life style hopefully for the better.
Even if the living costs are the same as the uk (which I doubt) at least the more reliable climate will be a bonus.
We are taking a month out of the Uk in October to stay with family in Sydney (Picton) to do our fact finding and make final decision's, school's, areas, etc.
Life is an adventure but you've got to search for it, it won't come looking for you.
If anyone has been in Picton, Campbeltown, Camden area your views and experiences would be gratefully received as this is our first and only visit before we move.

Hi,
I noticed your message and thought i'd e-mail you to ask a couple of questions if that was ok?
My name is lynn and i live in alnwick,northumberland.I am married to garry who is on his last 4 months of his degree course in i.t..I am a qualified hairdresser of about 19 years and we would like to migrate to Perth au on a skills ass visa.
I noticed that you said that you have completed the first stage of your skills ass and wondered if you could let me know what that involved and how did you make a start cos i'm bamboozled on all the things that seems to need to be considered.
I don't know which ones apply to me and when to apply them.

We have 3 children 12,7 and 5 and like you ,we are outdoor pursuit kinda people and fed up with the weather,we noticed that hairdressing is in high demand in oz and have been considering the poss for the last 3 weeks.
Please if it's not too much trouble could you tell me your story?
Lynn
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:28 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Why?........

Because we can

Don't want to live a life of "I wish"....."I could have"....
"If only"....."I wonder"..........

Better to have loved and lost.....then never loved at all

Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sunny spells
what else?

the violence that is inborn in people, the drinking that brings it out, the fact that cities are used as toilets by the drunken violent people, the food that tastes of chips regardless of what it is, the rain, the fact that buses have got exhausts a face lavel for the cyclists to die faster, the fact that a cappuccino costs 3 quid and tastes of washing up liquid, the fact that people drive 4x4 a 4 miles to the gallon to take 1 fat kid to school around the corner and perhaps the fact that pensioners are supposed to pay council tax in proportion to the current value of a house they bought 50 years ago when it was worth 1/10 of what it is now.

a part from the above, I see hardly any reason why people should leave.

And which of these reasons do you expect to be different in Oz?

JTL

(Not giving you a hard time, just curious how you think cities in Oz would be different from anywhere else)

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 9th 2004 at 11:40 am.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 11:43 am

gedge has disabled reputation

It's not that we don't like England, but at the mo we prefer Australia. We we're lucky enough to get the chance, and would have regretted not taking it. It's not the right move for everyone.

Call me a parrot but..
'Why not?'
'Because we can'
Old Jun 9th 2004, 1:49 pm
I'm lovin' it

Originally posted by Grayling
It Can, but then some people go getting all upset

Best wishes

G
So true...I have to laugh even more when this happens, cos if the punters get 'upset' by a website gawd knows what they'll be like when they get here.
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:13 pm
Mel Gibson

Go to one of those Australian beaches on a summers day,with a clear blue sky, crystal clear blue water, miles of golden sand,
the sound of the surf breaking and surrounded by young topless
women that could pass for supermodels and you don't need to ask why you want to move to Australia.

Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:39 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Yes girlies and check out those tanned hunky men, oggle girls at the sights you will see....
Old Jun 9th 2004, 3:56 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sunny spells
what else?

the violence that is inborn in people, the drinking that brings it out, the fact that cities are used as toilets by the drunken violent people, the food that tastes of chips regardless of what it is, the rain, the fact that buses have got exhausts a face lavel for the cyclists to die faster, the fact that a cappuccino costs 3 quid and tastes of washing up liquid, the fact that people drive 4x4 a 4 miles to the gallon to take 1 fat kid to school around the corner and perhaps the fact that pensioners are supposed to pay council tax in proportion to the current value of a house they bought 50 years ago when it was worth 1/10 of what it is now.

a part from the above, I see hardly any reason why people should leave.

so how long did you come to OZ for???

Catch up on the crime in OZ, the rapes, the drunken rages and attacks..the expensive coffees etc..don't forget your earning dollars not pounds, etc etc....sorry I know the UK is expensive etc and has all the above but so does OZ the only difference it happens in the sunshine...I watched on TV last night how a pro surfer came out of a club with his girlfriend and as they walked home some blokes starting taunting the girlfriend and when the boyfriend stepped in he was attacked. He has now lost his hearing in one ear and the other ear he only has a certain percentage of hearing ability. Therefore his balance is affected, therefore the bloke may not be able to pro surf again....
Another one for you and this happened New Year 2003 a young lad was attacked by group of about 7 blokes ages from 16 to 19 and they were trying to rob him of his mobile phone, but not content with that they then decided to pick him up and use him as a ramming pole against a telegraph pole....well that lad of 18 is dead and the flowers mark his spot. These are just a few examples..but please don't come to OZ thinking shit doesn't happen here cos it does !!
Do you know about the AFL footballers and the rape allergations??Not just one incident either...plenty !!

I am not Anti- OZ I speak as it is..the same as you. !!Crime, murder etc happens everywhere !!!I am not being a downer just being realistic...each to their own.

Last edited by Pants; Jun 9th 2004 at 4:33 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.