Wikiposts

Why???

Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Why???

Simple question really and would only need a simple answer. All I would like to know is why? Why do you want to leave the UK and live In Australia. I have just been asked this very same question and am curious to know what your answer was when and if you were asked that question.
Good luck to all that are trying.
Regards Chris and Andrea.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

I just got fed up of England, the job was going nowhere, my wife is aussie, the kids were grown so I just thought "why not?"

The day I handed my notice in was a cold, wet november day, and my boss said "what can I do to make you change your mind?"

I just looked out of the window, through the pouring rain, being blown horizontally by the gail force winds, across the railtracks to another companies carpark, which was being used as a gypsy camp, with s**t and scrap metal everywhere and said "well can you change all of that?"
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Why???

Originally posted by Handyandy180
Simple question really and would only need a simple answer. All I would like to know is why? Why do you want to leave the UK and live In Australia. I have just been asked this very same question and am curious to know what your answer was when and if you were asked that question.
Reason 1:
Cos I've been travelling for the last 10 years. Everytime I take a job now I ask 'Does it require travel', they say 'No', and then I spend 6 months in Oz or London, or Frankfurt, or Brussells.

Reason 2:
I've a nice house I never get to live in, in a beautiful place. Its become apparent to me I'l never get to live in my house while I dream of living here.

Reason 3:
Worked in Oz a few times loved the environment, the people, the attitude.

Reason 4:
Have just gone through 3 winters Uk/Oz/Uk. Need some sun

Reason 5:
Love a new challenge. Especially when the payoff could be so good

Reason 6:
House prices slightly cheaper so can get a better starting base for our new life

Reason 7:
Parents/inlaws/friends will all come and visit us in Oz.

Probably a few other reasons that Mrs JTL will remind me of, but I think 7 good solid reasons are enuff.

What about you?

JTL

Last edited by JackTheLad; Jun 7th 2004 at 11:46 am.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:52 am
mickj

Simple really.....love travelling and seeing the world ! Howzat?

Old Jun 7th 2004, 11:54 am
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Met an Aussie bloke
Married him
Got to the stage of thinking of starting a family
thought about where was best to bring up kids
south east england or Western Australia
spoke about my childhood
spoke about hubby's childhood

decided we'd rather any offspring have a childhood that was a real childhood like my hubby had rather like mine where I spent it hanging round shops smoking a drinking and scaring any normal person out shopping like I get of the kids out there now (oh my god I'm 26 and sound like my nan)

kala
Old Jun 7th 2004, 12:26 pm
ABCDiamond

I had been out here on holiday a few times, and decided I liked it.
So I sold up my business and my house, and moved !

I'd also already been around most of Europe, so I was ready for a change.

Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Graham67 is on a distinguished road
Default Why ?

Why not.
Love Scotland, and uk in general. I know moving my wife and son to the other side of the world, is a rather drastic move but I hope the correct one. I have the same worries as most of you, money, settling in, work, schools etc.
We have just passed stage 1 (skills assessment) and fingers crossed if visa's available will move mid to end next year.
Main reason for moving is my son, he seems to spend too much time indoors due to the wet/cold weather. He plays football, swims for our District and loves the outdoors as we do, problem is he is prevented by our wet climate.
We decided to give our son his secondary education in Aussie, as their education standards are very good, according to my family in sydney.
We consider it a new start, an adventure, a change of life style hopefully for the better.
Even if the living costs are the same as the uk (which I doubt) at least the more reliable climate will be a bonus.
We are taking a month out of the Uk in October to stay with family in Sydney (Picton) to do our fact finding and make final decision's, school's, areas, etc.
Life is an adventure but you've got to search for it, it won't come looking for you.
If anyone has been in Picton, Campbeltown, Camden area your views and experiences would be gratefully received as this is our first and only visit before we move.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:58 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

why not?!

why stay?!

Could probably argue for and against it almost as many points each way, but basically for me its because I met an Aussie bloke & at the moment its difficult for him to come here (has a daughter and her mother is in Aus) and I have no problems with going there!
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:29 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Here's your simple answer...

'Cos it's better here.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:35 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by chippy
Here's your simple answer...

'Cos it's better here.
This thread could easily get out of hand like so many other similar ones

Is that the intention?

G
Old Jun 8th 2004, 10:44 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Why ?

Originally posted by Graham67
If anyone has been in Picton, Campbeltown, Camden area your views and experiences would be gratefully received as this is our first and only visit before we move.
I had a friend in Picton, and drove down there quite often, when I was living in Parramatta. Its a nice country area, or at least it was It may have changed a bit by now.

It's a bit of a drive out from Sydney, but with family already there, it should be a good place to start.

Old Jun 8th 2004, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

midge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant futuremidge04 has a brilliant future

Cos i live in a crappy council estate, in a small house, my kids havent got anywhere safe for them to go or play, hubby is self employed and his work is drifiting down to virtually nothing, cant afford a mortgage, work all hours god sends just to survive, and pay the bills.

Dont see much of either family, so dont rely on anybody really.

Not saying things would be much diffrent over there, but i cant see as i have anything to lose by not going.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 7:32 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

When I was just a nipper I told my mum that I was going to live in another country when I grew up. I've never felt English - I'd call myself British, but I have no sense of patriotism and I've never really liked this country.

I do, however, love Australia for its landscape, its size, its way of life and most importantly its people. I'm happier and healthier in Oz than I am here.

The there's the fact that I'm engaged to an aussie and, like others, want to have our kids in Oz where they can grow up in the small rural town where Mr B comes from.

The only thing to keep me in the UK is my family, but then again I come from a family that lives all over the world so we're used to people upping sticks and moving away. My family is pleased for us to go because they know I'm happier out there.
Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:51 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Met an Aussie girl.

Have given England 2 years and plan to give Oz the same and then make a decision. Could end up back here if thats what we wanted.

Personally dont think Oz is a better place than England (both have good and bad points) both places are as good as you make them and want them to be.

TT

Old Jun 8th 2004, 8:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

Last chance to do something/live somewhere different before children nail us down in one place or we become too set in our ways.

Why Australia? Climate, outdoors lifestyle, English speaking, have a visa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.