Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whv Spending Money

Whv Spending Money

Old May 24th 2003, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Whv Spending Money

Hi was wondering if someone could give me info i am or planning to go on a working holiday visa start of next year for 12 months and im sure there is a rule i might be wrong that you cannot take over a certain amount of cash/money with you into that country.

As i will be going away for 1 year and maybe and maybe not work while there would best take lots of money to make sure i have good time and i dont run out.

I was apart from taking a credit card wondered if there was other ways i could take money and lots of it with me, i know of travellers cheques and i could take some of these but is there any cards or stuff like that i could load money into and then use it when over there.

The ideal thing would be to have an australian bank account and open one and put money into it before leaving uk but if i am correct you cannot open an australian bank account unless you have a pr visa and are moving there or if you are over there on your whv then can go to bank and open an account provided you give them an address.

The ideal thing would be for me to put money aside now in an account that i can use over there anybody know of such account and who with and where as said a credit card is the answer but i would rather not use that
Old May 24th 2003, 9:55 am
Just Joined

pjones is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Whv Spending Money

Originally posted by brian.w
Hi was wondering if someone could give me info i am or planning to go on a working holiday visa start of next year for 12 months and im sure there is a rule i might be wrong that you cannot take over a certain amount of cash/money with you into that country.

As i will be going away for 1 year and maybe and maybe not work while there would best take lots of money to make sure i have good time and i dont run out.

I was apart from taking a credit card wondered if there was other ways i could take money and lots of it with me, i know of travellers cheques and i could take some of these but is there any cards or stuff like that i could load money into and then use it when over there.

The ideal thing would be to have an australian bank account and open one and put money into it before leaving uk but if i am correct you cannot open an australian bank account unless you have a pr visa and are moving there or if you are over there on your whv then can go to bank and open an account provided you give them an address.

The ideal thing would be for me to put money aside now in an account that i can use over there anybody know of such account and who with and where as said a credit card is the answer but i would rather not use that
I spent 1 year on the same visa....all i did was go into a bank with my visa/passport and opened a bank account !
Old May 24th 2003, 10:05 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: Whv Spending Money

Originally posted by pjones
I spent 1 year on the same visa....all i did was go into a bank with my visa/passport and opened a bank account !
Yes i know you can open a bank account when over there but was wondering if there was anyway it could be done before i go so would not have to take lots of it with me

also im not going to be in one of the big city's like sydney,melbourne,perth etc but only passing by or from time to tiime shopping etc i think geelong in victoria will be place of stay anyone recommend what bank account i open and who with not just so i can get money out there but also when in the city's.

who is most used over there and best and is most common in smaller areas, i will probably be traveling a bit but i think geelong or lara will be a place i might be most.

i know there is accounts online but these are no good unless i can get money from atm's etc