Reload this Page >

WHV - Advice, tips and feedback appreciated

WHV - Advice, tips and feedback appreciated

Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Porcelaina is an unknown quantity at this point
Default WHV - Advice, tips and feedback appreciated

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this site for months, ever since I started seriously considering going to Australia on a WHV. I am a soon to be 29 year old Canadian so my time for a WHV is running out. I am lucky to be able to take a year long leave of absence from my job and hope I can find the courage to go forward with my plan. I'd love to hear some feedback as to whether or not I'm being realistic in my expectations.

Based on my likes, personality and research I think I would like to work in Queensland. I am currently an administrative supervisor in a psychiatric hospital inside a jail and I would like to use this experience to find a medical administration temp job (or jobs). The idea would be to rent a room or share an apartment and find a job that would keep me in one area for awhile.

Queensland Health seems to have regular postings for temporary positions in administration that I think I'm well qualified for. The problem is I won't know how easy it is to find work until I'm able to apply, and to be taken seriously it seems I need to be in Australia. Does it seem realistic for me to expect to be able to find a reasonable paying medical administration temp job in QLD while on a WHV? Reasonable would be enough to pay living expenses, plus enjoy the occasional night out (dinner, movie, some drinks) and also travel a bit to get to know the area well.

Thanks for any responses!