Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's rooting for who ?

Who's rooting for who ?

Old May 14th 2003, 1:20 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who's rooting for who ?

I have come to the decision that I still be supporting Australia in all sporting events even when playing against England unless of course Old Blighty should somehow win !
This is due to the fact I just don't know what it feels like for my country to win a World Cup Final in a major team sport.
Although my wife thinks I'm a traitor and wants the kids ( when we have some ) to support the Motherland.
How does everyone else feel and who will they be rooting for ?Not forgeting that Australia will now be your adopted country and how we felt when all those second generation Asians are supporting India and Pakistan at Lords !
Anyway I'm off to learn my New National Anthem .... luckily there are only two words .... Aussie and Oi !
Cheers
Simon.
Old May 14th 2003, 1:25 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who's rooting for who ?

Originally posted by Snitzy
I have come to the decision that I still be supporting Australia in all sporting events even when playing against England unless of course Old Blighty should somehow win !
This is due to the fact I just don't know what it feels like for my country to win a World Cup Final in a major team sport.
Although my wife thinks I'm a traitor and wants the kids ( when we have some ) to support the Motherland.
How does everyone else feel and who will they be rooting for ?Not forgeting that Australia will now be your adopted country and how we felt when all those second generation Asians are supporting India and Pakistan at Lords !
Anyway I'm off to learn my New National Anthem .... luckily there are only two words .... Aussie and Oi !
Cheers
Simon.
I reckon I'll treat it a bit like watching Man Utd vs Arsenal on the box. Unlike some, I don't hate them both and want them both to lose. (My useless team Villa always loses enough to satisfy that particular craving.) I love their great players to play brilliantly and score great goals and just applaud the action on the field, whover is winning. I reckon it'll be like that watching the Kiwis take on England at cricket or rugby - an excuse to have have an enjoyable time and drink a beer or two in the sun hopefully. So I'll root for SPORT!

Cheers - Don
Old May 14th 2003, 1:31 pm
Sydneysider as of May'05

drog1998 is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with your wife - You are a trator.

It like most Man U supporters. They only support them because they've got the best team.
Old May 14th 2003, 1:59 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

I agree too, Traitor.
I suppose when they play each other in a "Serious" ie world cup football match
you,ll find your english voice again
who needs fair weather supporters.
Old May 14th 2003, 2:11 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

You should choose your words with care Simon ... rooting has a very different meaning in Oz!

It's barracking in Oz (as in "Who do you barrack for?").

Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Originally posted by Snitzy
Cheers
Simon.
Old May 14th 2003, 2:16 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Call me a traitor if you like, but I'm already a dedicated supporter of the Aussie cricket team, and have been for 5 years, even though I haven't got my visa yet (its getting hard typing with my fingers crossed, so i wish they'd hurry up!). If I'm going to become an Australian (by getting a passport & citizenship eventually) I guess I ought to start thinking Australian.....although I have English friends over there who still think totally British after 40 years, and support the England teams in sport.

I've been to Ashes Test Matches in both England and Australia and cheered so loudly for my adopted team but my Aussie fiance threatened to abandon me!
Incidentally, If anyone knows the words to 'Under the Southern Cross' which the Aussie team sing in the dressing room after their matches, I'd be very grateful......
You have to follow your heart, and support the one you feel most in tune with, where sport is concerned I think!

Pollyana
Old May 14th 2003, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

Andrew P is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Unbelieveable

Everyone, come on what are you thinking? How can you possible not support your country in sporting events? If my (as yet unborn) kids want to support Australia that's a different matter all together as they will have been born and brought up over there. You can't pick and choose your country, unless that is you're an Australian who happens to play rugby for Wales! You have to go with where you were brought up!

How many Aussies do you think come over here and then support the English rugby team because we happen to have beaten Australia. How many Americans would back a rival countries teams? What so you do, pick the best team at each sport? SO Aussies for cricket, England for rugby, Brazil for football, England for bog snorkelling?

Come on guys, moving down under for a better life etc is a great thing and I can't wait but giving up on following your homelands sporting achievements (or lack of them) never!

The whole sporting banter with the Aussies is good value as well, you don't want to be thought of as a wannabe Aussie, you're just deciding to live there that's all. You'll get lot more respect if you stick up for dear old blighty!
Old May 14th 2003, 2:44 pm
will be there soon!!!!!

debs&tim is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Alan Collett
You should choose your words with care Simon ... rooting has a very different meaning in Oz!

It's barracking in Oz (as in "Who do you barrack for?").

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Hi Alan
So it is worth me applying to emigrate with a surname of Root?
What chances do the children have of being tormented?
Can you define what the word actually means!!!
Or is it a pm sort of thing?????
Do you think we ought to change our name by deed poll

Regards Tim
Old May 14th 2003, 3:13 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

You don't know what ROOTING means?????????????
I can see you have kids, so you must have some experience
Old May 14th 2003, 3:34 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I admit it, I'm a Wannabe Aussie and proud of it!!! Well if I'm marrying an Aussie I have to have some loyalty to my new country!
And I also know all the words to the Aussie National Anthem... real lost cause aren't I!
Pollyana
Old May 14th 2003, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Pollyanna, what's to be done! I've married an Aussie as well, but that doens't mean I have to become one.

Come on think about all the good things in the UK, be proud to be a Brit overseas. How bad are you going to feel in October when England win the rugby world cup in Australia, will you still support the Aussies then.

Come on you know it makes sense.
Old May 14th 2003, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Incidentally, If anyone knows the words to 'Under the Southern Cross' which the Aussie team sing in the dressing room after their matches, I'd be very grateful......

Pollyana [/QUOTE]

The words are:

Under the Southern Cross I Stand
Under the Southern Cross I Stand
A sprig of wattle in my hand,
A native of my native land,
Australia you little beauty

Enjoy,
Old May 14th 2003, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

garywarby is an unknown quantity at this point

Loyalty to my new country my arse!!

I cannot believe that anybody from England can start supporting the Aussies at anything. Don't they win enough for gods sake, as for the earlier post saying that people supprt the teams at the top I think a few are doing the same with the Aussies. I remember the dark days at Old Trafford! When Liverpool were winning everything, now it's payback! Swings and roundabouts with sport.

ENGERLAND,ENGERLAND,ENGERLAND,ENGERLAND,ENGERLAND, ENGERLAND.........!!!!
Old May 14th 2003, 5:20 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point

I see everyone to off to Oz to have greater opportunities/Better Health Service/Better Education/Safer for the kids / Weather/ Beaches/ Open spaces and all that blah blah blah andto get away from cold/misery/crime etc. Just to carry on supporting England like nothing has changed !
Mmmm interesting........
Old May 14th 2003, 5:30 pm
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Awww c'mon youve gotta support ENGERLAAANNDDDD !!!

The wifes an aussie and i have to admit it does get a bit depressing hearing her go on when its england v aus cricket !!

However....rugby is normally a good one (we somtimes win )

And football is'nt normally a problem for me either !!! (exept the last time they played.....that was bad eh )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.