Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's in Melbourne

Wikiposts

Who's in Melbourne

Old Dec 7th 2005, 11:46 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's in Melbourne

[QUOTE=OzTennis]Just ignore him, he lives near FTG. Don't let it put you offQUOTE]

It'd put me off.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 3:03 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE=HUP]
Originally Posted by OzTennis
Just ignore him, he lives near FTG. Don't let it put you offQUOTE]

It'd put me off.

Smart ass.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Wantirna Caravan Park on Mountain Highway is a lot nearer FTG & isnt in as grim an area as Chelsea.

Its a few mins walk from the bus route up Burwood Highway to Ferntree Gully & you'll be able to visit Bordy's sculpture of Edinburgh Castle (made entirely out of Tennents lager cans) which is legendary in the Knox area & which will shortly be on the official Dandening Ranges tourist trail
Old Dec 7th 2005, 4:09 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hawk2005
Wantirna Caravan Park on Mountain Highway is a lot nearer FTG & isnt in as grim an area as Chelsea.

Its a few mins walk from the bus route up Burwood Highway to Ferntree Gully & you'll be able to visit Bordy's sculpture of Edinburgh Castle (made entirely out of Tennents lager cans) which is legendary in the Knox area & which will shortly be on the official Dandening Ranges tourist trail
I just need another 2 dozen cans to finish it off so if anyone is coming over feel free to pack some.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hawk2005

We stayed at Chelsea Caravan Park when we first got here.

It is basic but clean and has what you need. The beach is a short drive and there is a Bistro in walking distance. Carrum also has a library with internet access and Southland's Centre isn't bad.

We now live in the Dandenongs though as the napean scared me

I shop at Knox shopping centre which has to be my fave. Some others are just too big!!!

Wantirna is a nice clean burb but a bit further from the beach if you are wanting a little break. Not sure where the caravan park is though.

As for FTG... A nice burb but some of the schools may need looking into as I have heard a few bad things. FTG has everything that you will need on a daily basis and it gives you great access to most places. There are many different styles of homes here, old, new, small plots and large ones. Some are really tucked away from major roads so there is little traffic noise. Only Bordy's snoring
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:30 pm
The Godfather

This must be "Pick on Bordy day"
Old Dec 7th 2005, 5:34 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

We also stayed at Chelsea Gdns for eight weeks, it's clean and cheap what more could you ask for

Plenty of nice shops and restaurants and internet access in the library at Chelsea.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:44 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
This must be "Pick on Bordy day"
I wish someone had told me I would have put a lot more thought into such a special occasion
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

TracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really niceTracyAnne is just really nice

Originally Posted by jwlms
Hi there,

My family are emigrating to Melbourne, landing on February 9th and just wanted to know what you think of the place. We are planning to move to Ferntree Gully.

J
Hi,

We live in Berwick, have been here 1 month today and feel so settled its like we've been here years! Our daughters are all settled in school, the dogs out of quarantine and life is looking pretty rosy.I'm waiting for the homesickness to kick in but nothing yet! If you would like any more info about this lovely part of Melbourne just let me know.

Tracy
Old Dec 7th 2005, 9:53 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jwlms
Hi there,

My family are emigrating to Melbourne, landing on February 9th and just wanted to know what you think of the place. We are planning to move to Ferntree Gully.

J
We (Carl and I ) are in Elsternwick (not far from Elwood and St. Kilda)

Were in Williamstown, which is lovely, but quiet.

Over here is more buzzy and has a great atmosphere.

Melbourne - I love it !!!!

Cas
Old Dec 8th 2005, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

jwlms will become famous soon enough

I have a 5 year old daughter who I need to find a school for, any recommendations or any I should avoid ?

J
Old Dec 8th 2005, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

jwlms will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TracyAnne
Hi,

We live in Berwick, have been here 1 month today and feel so settled its like we've been here years! Our daughters are all settled in school, the dogs out of quarantine and life is looking pretty rosy.I'm waiting for the homesickness to kick in but nothing yet! If you would like any more info about this lovely part of Melbourne just let me know.

Tracy
Hi Tracy

Thanks for your answer. What made you choose Berwick over other areas ?

Jason
Old Dec 8th 2005, 12:37 am
Forum Regular

DJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant futureDJMA has a brilliant future

Don't know anything about FTG, although have driven through. We are in Armadale, soon moving to Camberwell, a great area, although a bit pricy. Having been here nearly 4 weeks, I can safely say we are really glad we came to Melbourne. If nothing else, the weather is really interesting, especially the storms a couple of days ago.

Your choice of area should be based on some of the following:
- where you plan or need to work
- good schools for kids
- do you want to be near the beaches
- what sort of mix of community you want to live in
- how much do you want to pay/can afford to pay to rent/buy
- who on this discussion board you want to avoid ever meeting

This may be FTG for you, but until you live there for a while you won't know for sure. You may find this link useful. It gives info about each of the Melbourne city councils, including population, ethnic mix, employment and house prices.

http://www.liveinvictoria.vic.gov.au...1&contentId=-1