Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's heading to Qld 2010?

Who's heading to Qld 2010?

Old Sep 28th 2010, 11:41 am
Account Closed

myrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of lightmyrtle1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who's heading to Qld 2010?

Originally Posted by Poitin
So we been here 3 weeks now - but only got our internet connected yesterday(was a bit worried about this - it was all too technical for me and Telstra are on par with Du in the middle east - but i guess its the same the world over) - over my rant.

The move went totally smooth - container went through customs with no problems and nothing broken or missing.
The kids got into school the 3rd day we were here - it wasn't planned but worked out well - they made a few friends and it gave me some free time without them.

We rented in North lakes in the end - I know its bit far out but as hubby doesn't really have an idea where he will be based month to month - he is still interstate at the moment.

Thanks to all that offered advice and hope all is going well for you guys.

All sounds good - hope it continues to go really well for you all
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by myrtle1
All sounds good - hope it continues to go really well for you all
Thanks -all is good and i'm sure it will get better. I think Brisbane is pretty special and it will be a wonderful place for the kids.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 12:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by B1K3R
Heh.... I know what you mean! My bike is up for sale, should be gone by end of this week cause I have found a serious buyer. I'll surely miss it It will be turned to cash to support us until we settle down and find a job.

God knows when I'll buy my next bike in OZ, it will be like part of me will be missing....but I'll have OZ instead!!!

http://www.maltapark.com/Photos/Item828859.jpg

Cheers
B!K3R

That's how I felt when I sold the bikes in the UK a few months back.

Originally Posted by Poitin
yes Brisbane now - but OH still in Sydney

Must change that - but at times I do wonder where I am
Stay focussed -> You're in Australia.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll all be tagging on the end of these blokes in no time - 200km ride through the mountains starts just near the city - scroll down for map

http://www.motorcyclerides.com.au/mo...to-mt-mee.html
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by fish.01
You'll all be tagging on the end of these blokes in no time - 200km ride through the mountains starts just near the city - scroll down for map

http://www.motorcyclerides.com.au/mo...to-mt-mee.html
Cheers mate! Yes, I've come across this before and it seems awesome!

Lots of adventures lay ahead

Cheers
B!K3R
Old Oct 4th 2010, 10:00 am
Adventure sorted

Location: Norn Iron ... Brisbane, and now off to Melbourne East
Hoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant futureHoolio1972 has a brilliant future

Hi all, almost 4 weeks in now from Northern Ireland to Brissie.

We have rented down in Springfield lakes, $420 / wk for large 4 bed, with reasonable garden. Just 10min walk from the lakes, shops and all the fantastic outdoor parks. Nearly 3 weeks in the big empty house (furniture delayed and doesnt arrive until end Oct) and all good so far. Its 10min drive or 30min bus to closest train station, then 30min to CBD by train.

EVERYONE we have met, neighbors, shop assistants, bank manager, newly arrives, friends of friends etc etc have been great. very helpful in every way they can.

Its allot to swallow when you first arrive, as everything is slightly different here, so still taking time to adjust. But it will work!

Had a few BBQs with new friends and also on the beach with the family (in winter!)

Bought: late 2008 getz to run around in, BBQ, small fridge, washing machine, digi box, mobile sims, and other odds n ends. All equivalent price to back home, even with the poor exchange rate!

Only started the job hunt in earnest today, so early days. But there does seem to be plenty about. So hopefully me or wifey will have something prior to xmas break.

Good luck everyone!!

P
Old Oct 4th 2010, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

B1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud ofB1K3R has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hoolio1972

We have rented down in Springfield lakes, $420 / wk for large 4 bed, with reasonable garden. Just 10min walk from the lakes, shops and all the fantastic outdoor parks. Nearly 3 weeks in the big empty house (furniture delayed and doesnt arrive until end Oct) and all good so far. Its 10min drive or 30min bus to closest train station, then 30min to CBD by train.

EVERYONE we have met, neighbors, shop assistants, bank manager, newly arrives, friends of friends etc etc have been great. very helpful in every way they can.

Its allot to swallow when you first arrive, as everything is slightly different here, so still taking time to adjust. But it will work!

Had a few BBQs with new friends and also on the beach with the family (in winter!)

Bought: late 2008 getz to run around in, BBQ, small fridge, washing machine, digi box, mobile sims, and other odds n ends. All equivalent price to back home, even with the poor exchange rate!

Only started the job hunt in earnest today, so early days. But there does seem to be plenty about. So hopefully me or wifey will have something prior to xmas break.

Good luck everyone!!

P
Hey, that's great to hear mate!!!! It's nice to see positive posts likes this

Just a quick question...were the fridge, washing machine etc delivered to you for free/at a price or you had to provide transport?

Good luck with the job hunt!!!!

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Oct 4th 2010 at 6:20 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hoolio1972

Good luck everyone!!

P

All the best! We've been here a month too. Living in Kenmore.

$420 a week is good.

Also started job hunting this week. Good luck with that.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

james1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant future

Hey, that's great to hear mate!!!! It's nice to see positive posts likes this

Just a quick question...were the fridge, washing machine etc delivered to you for free/at a price or you had to provide transport?

Good luck with the job hunt!!!!

Cheers
B!K3R
Hi mate,

The ones that we have used can provide delivery for a fee, they seem to use 3rd parties for the delivery. Seen many a person with white goods tied down on their Utes Was not too much from memory and always ask for a deal if your buying a couple of items.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:38 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

God knows when I'll buy my next bike in OZ, it will be like part of me will be missing....but I'll have OZ instead!!!
Give me a yell when you get a bike here and I'll happily take you for a guided tour of the twisty roads. It'd be good to have an excuse to get out amongst the hills for a day
Old Oct 5th 2010, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by james1972
Hi mate,
The ones that we have used can provide delivery for a fee, they seem to use 3rd parties for the delivery. Seen many a person with white goods tied down on their Utes Was not too much from memory and always ask for a deal if your buying a couple of items.
Thanks James! Good to know So'll fish a bit around when I'll arrive and will make sure I'll haggle for transport

Originally Posted by DadAgain
Give me a yell when you get a bike here and I'll happily take you for a guided tour of the twisty roads. It'd be good to have an excuse to get out amongst the hills for a day
Dude, I'm gonna take your word on this! That's will be awesome! Hopefully, within a month or 2 I'll get a bike, it will all depend on the budget then...

What bike do ye have?

So, a bike ride will just take me to the moon after the big hassle of moving and settling down.

Thanks mate!!!

Cheers
B!K3R

Last edited by B1K3R; Oct 5th 2010 at 6:25 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:15 pm
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

What bike do ye have?
This is me:

A 2005 ZX6R... Arguably not the most practical commuter bike in the world - but it could be the most fun!
Old Oct 5th 2010, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DadAgain
This is me:
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...g?t=1286316739

A 2005 ZX6R... Arguably not the most practical commuter bike in the world - but it could be the most fun!
Nice mate!, surely fun!

Most probably I'll go for a hornet, FZ, SV650/gladius or something of the sort. Used to commute on a GSXR 750 when I was in melbourne, was a great bike but the missus used to end up with back pain when we went for a trip in the mountains.

Cheers