Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's heading to Adelaide

Who's heading to Adelaide

Old May 6th 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice
Default Who's heading to Adelaide

ok, so i'm being nosy but who is heading to Adeliade, just arrived in Adelaide or has been in Adelaide for ages?

As you may have guessed, that's where we're heading and any insite on the City and surrounding areas (particulaly Port Adelaide) would be greatly appreciated.

Also, would love to know if there are any regular meet ups that I may be able to look into when I get there. Planning on arriving June/July time (as doing a little bit of friend visiting first) and would love any advice anyone has to offer me.

SO looking forward to it!

Thanks
Natalie
Old May 6th 2009, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Styler is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who's heading to Adelaide

Originally Posted by natalieml
ok, so i'm being nosy but who is heading to Adeliade, just arrived in Adelaide or has been in Adelaide for ages?

As you may have guessed, that's where we're heading and any insite on the City and surrounding areas (particulaly Port Adelaide) would be greatly appreciated.

Also, would love to know if there are any regular meet ups that I may be able to look into when I get there. Planning on arriving June/July time (as doing a little bit of friend visiting first) and would love any advice anyone has to offer me.

Thanks
Natalie
Hi Natalie,

I'm in Adelaide, been here for quite a few years now.

What would you like to know about Port Adelaide? It's OK for a visit, but it's not somewhere you'd want to live really. It's a little bit run down shall we say! They are doing some work up there, but it could take a while to make it anywhere near presentable to live in lol

The city is probably about 20 to 30 minutes away from Port Adelaide. Are you looking to live close by? or are you thinking more North, East, South or West?

It's a pretty huge place, even though it's easy enough to get around.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Port Adelaide is undergoing a regeneration at the moment and has a lot of building work going on,especially on the waterfront. Although the centre of Port Adelaide looks run down there are nice areas within minutes, Semaphore for example. There are lots of suburbs here and they can change within 2 or 3 streets.
Old May 6th 2009, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

natalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nicenatalieml is just really nice

Thanks guys that's really helpful. Could you also tell me what it's like in West Lakes and which are the nicer suburbs around the Port Adelaide area to live?

Thanks
Old May 6th 2009, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Styler is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys that's really helpful. Could you also tell me what it's like in West Lakes and which are the nicer suburbs around the Port Adelaide area to live?

Thanks
West Lakes is lovely! I would live there if I could afford it Maybe better if you gave some idea of budget? doesn't have to be exact, just a maximum would do really.

Like the previous poster said, Semaphore is nice. I spend a lot of my summer there. It's just really the more industrial places you want to avoid I'd say, so places like Mansfield Park, Rosewater and the suburbs around there. Henley Beach is pretty popular with the Brits, and is pretty nice. So is the places surrounding Glenelg. Might need to rob a bank to live in Glenelg itself though
Old May 6th 2009, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

ferret12 is an unknown quantity at this point

For Port Adelaide think Moss Side(Manchester) but with more graffiti. In Australia the closer you are to the city the more refined and educated the suburbs are...the further north or south then the problems begin...which is tru for most cities in OZ. Be careful where you go and live as it has a major impact on what is already a very stressful time.
Old May 6th 2009, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Thanks
Natalie
Hey, Natalie! Look me up when you arrive! Adi
Old May 6th 2009, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

jonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura aboutjonsparx has a spectacular aura about

Im moving to adelaide in october!! hopefully plenty of work for a sparky by then... anyone know if the grace emily hotel is still up and running on weymouth street?? Used to be an old haunt of mine for the pale ale!!
Old May 6th 2009, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Iwannabethere
Hey, Natalie! Look me up when you arrive! Adi
Will do Adi - Is everything going ok for you?

x
Old May 6th 2009, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Iwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud ofIwannabethere has much to be proud of

Will do Adi - Is everything going ok for you?

x
Great! Loving it! Just started the process for building our own house! Built up a network of friends really quickly.

What about you? Do you have jobs lined up or will you wing it like we did?!
Old May 6th 2009, 6:30 pm
Forum Regular

We're just going to wing it! Won't have a home or job or anything when we arrive! So glad you're all enjoying it so much. Would be fab to meet up when we finally get there and settled - have a BBQ without the wind and rain this time
Old May 6th 2009, 7:08 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

l thought Port Adealide used to be a rough working class suburb with low propery prices back in the 80's but now its all been redeveloped and lots of Yuppie types moving in and its now not a bad suburb anymore or am l wrong
Old May 6th 2009, 7:56 pm
Capt Hilts

coolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond reputecoolerkingcooler has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully, we'll be there late summer visa and house sale permitting

Cooler
Old May 6th 2009, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Styler
West Lakes is lovely! I would live there if I could afford it Maybe better if you gave some idea of budget? doesn't have to be exact, just a maximum would do really.

Like the previous poster said, Semaphore is nice. I spend a lot of my summer there. It's just really the more industrial places you want to avoid I'd say, so places like Mansfield Park, Rosewater and the suburbs around there. Henley Beach is pretty popular with the Brits, and is pretty nice. So is the places surrounding Glenelg. Might need to rob a bank to live in Glenelg itself though
Probably looking at spending no more than $300 a week on a rental property - to be honest we're looking for somewhere with lots of restaurants and cafes (partner's a chef!) that's fairly close to the beach but we don't mind having to walk 6miles or getting a bus a little further or something like that. I'm 26 and my partner is 29 so we want somewhere that's suitable for a youngish couple but we're not really bothered by night clubs etc (Prefer to go out for a nice meal and to the cinema!). I will probably be working nearer to the centre of Adelaide for my kind of job (work in the charitable sector) but I don't mind commuting up to about 40 minutes but there has to be good transport links (tram/train/bus).

Places we're looking into at the moment are as follows so any input on the best and worst in your opinion (I know everyone differs!) would be fab:
Birkenhead, Exeter, Glanville, Largs North, Largs Bay, North Haven, Osborne, Outer Harbor, Peterhead, Port Adelaide, Semaphore, Semaphore Park, Taparoo, Tennyson, West Lakes and West Lakes Shore.

Thanks so much for all of your help - it's really appreciated as although we've travelled through ALOT of Australia we have actually never been to Adelaide so we're just trying to research it loads so as we can try and tailor our areas for the accommodation search.

Thank you!!!
Old May 6th 2009, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, the Grace emily is still up and running!

I like Port Adelaide myself, and its cheaper than the city, it all depends on work really, not sure what sort of charity work you do but there should be plenty up at the Port!

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.