Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's got the best / cheapest bomb ?

Who's got the best / cheapest bomb ?

Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who's got the best / cheapest bomb ?

I'd be interested to know what a good reliable cheap car (bomb) I could get for less than $5K in Oz?

We're going to Cairns so it will have to have AC.

We are a family of 5. In time when we've saved a bit of cash then we'll get another car / 4WD but we just need something to get us around and get the kids to school at first.

I'm thinking mid 90's Ford Falcon / Holden Commodore as there are loads about, presumably parts are cheap and I can twirl a spanner meself.

What have you got for peanuts ?

Andy
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:27 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who's got the best / cheapest bomb ?

I'm selling my husband's 1995 Falcon. We only bought it in August, but he's now got a company vehicle and I have a nice new Barina to get me around. I'm asking $2k but will settle for $1500. It runs great, has air con and is surprisingly not bad on petrol. If you want to pop down to Adelaide I'll sell it to you cheap.
Old Mar 29th 2007, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cadman
I'd be interested to know what a good reliable cheap car (bomb) I could get for less than $5K in Oz?

We're going to Cairns so it will have to have AC.

We are a family of 5. In time when we've saved a bit of cash then we'll get another car / 4WD but we just need something to get us around and get the kids to school at first.

I'm thinking mid 90's Ford Falcon / Holden Commodore as there are loads about, presumably parts are cheap and I can twirl a spanner meself.

What have you got for peanuts ?

Andy
I always thought the ideal family car was as a minimum a Mazda MX5.

Bicycles for the children gives them independence at an early age. It also avoids that nasty "Are we there yet?? Are we there yet?? Are we there yet??"

As most of Cairns is flat go the bicycle.
WW
Old Mar 29th 2007, 9:37 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty difficult to get your weekly shop on bicycle. Really, I think they should come and buy my Falcon.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Pretty difficult to get your weekly shop on bicycle. Really, I think they should come and buy my Falcon.
Do you deliver ? I'll pay your petrol !
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:30 am
Still alive

Do you deliver ? I'll pay your petrol !
To Darwin? Love to. I'm not sure about driving through the desert on my own with 2 kids, though. Why don't you pop down to civilisation and pick it up?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

To Darwin? Love to. I'm not sure about driving through the desert on my own with 2 kids, though. Why don't you pop down to civilisation and pick it up?
Cairns. I'd love to have had time to do it but I arrive on easter sunday (8th?) and start work the week after.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:16 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Cairns. I'd love to have had time to do it but I arrive on easter sunday (8th?) and start work the week after.
if you need a hire car my mate owns cairns older car and ute hire. hes called damian. hes a pom and will do you a deal if you need wheels for a few weeks until you get sorted. are you still up for the over 35s soccer? pm me if you want damos number or you can google him on the web.
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

You need to get your priorities right if you are moving to Cairns.

Damn the car, you need a boat first so you can go fishing.

Once you've sorted the boat then you will know what car to buy.

Once you have those sorted, then you will know what to look for in a house to keep the boat and car.

WW
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:49 am
Still alive

My sister lives in Brisbane and her husband owns a couple of businesses and a house in Gladstone. If they were in the country right now I would consider driving the car up to you in Cairns and visit with her. Unfortunately BIL is in Canada visiting family and sis is in Peru with my other sister at a spa. Life's tough, eh?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by youngy73
if you need a hire car my mate owns cairns older car and ute hire. hes called damian. hes a pom and will do you a deal if you need wheels for a few weeks until you get sorted. are you still up for the over 35s soccer? pm me if you want damos number or you can google him on the web.
Cheers Youngy, figured on buying something cheap and getting something better in 6 -12 mths though. We're not being the typical expats on here and splashing out on a flash motor, the winged serpent (wife) wouldn't let me anyway. Besides, my GSXR750 is ready and waiting for me so I'll be sorted transport wise!

Yes, I'm def. up for the over 35's soccer still. Can you PM the details / your details so I can get in touch once I arrive ?

Cheers,

Andy
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

LOL !

I like your thinking mate but we're not touching a penny of our house money and are looking to start our new life as cheaply as poss. and then re-assess in a year or two. THEN we'll talk boats !

andy

Originally Posted by wanderingwombat
You need to get your priorities right if you are moving to Cairns.

Damn the car, you need a boat first so you can go fishing.

Once you've sorted the boat then you will know what car to buy.

Once you have those sorted, then you will know what to look for in a house to keep the boat and car.

WW
Old Mar 30th 2007, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Lifestyles of the rich and famous !

My sister lives in Brisbane and her husband owns a couple of businesses and a house in Gladstone. If they were in the country right now I would consider driving the car up to you in Cairns and visit with her. Unfortunately BIL is in Canada visiting family and sis is in Peru with my other sister at a spa. Life's tough, eh?
Old Mar 30th 2007, 10:05 am
Still alive

Lifestyles of the rich and famous !
Not famous, mate. The other half, yes. My BIL has worked his butt off for the past 30+ years and earned every penny he has. My sister's first husband died just 7 months after they were married and left her a small bit of life insurance. She invested wisely and married a man with a very sound business mind so she too did OK. They work hard for what they've got and I don't begrudge them the luxuries they can afford. Only wish I'd married him first.
Old Mar 31st 2007, 11:46 am
Forum Regular

lightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nicelightr0d2o is just really nice

Now im a ford man myself. Just got a fairmont 1999 fully loaded $6600 and a bomb it aint. Id go for something that is plentiful like a falcon or commodore there are bucket loads of them around. But if you dont mind stiffer suspension get a hilux ute. now if there was any thing ever built to be indestructible its the hilux ute. I also got one of those, a Duel cab with air and power steering. just have a look at the news, It dont seem to matter what war torn part of the world they are showing, sure as eggs is eggs there will be a toyota ute in the back ground and there are millions here. as much as i like my ford if i had to drive across Aus, I would go in the ute. in my opinion toyotas are the duracell batteries of the car world they just keep on and on and on. well the hilux does anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.