Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who's going to Sydney July/August time?

Who's going to Sydney July/August time?

Old May 12th 2008, 2:50 pm
Forum Regular

ShoppingJoJo is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Who's going to Sydney July/August time?

Well we are! That is me, hubbie and two kiddies aged 5 and 2 years. We are going out on a 457 visa. Just want to be reassured that we are not the only ones making this HUGE step!

And because it would be lovely to meet some new friends!

LOL

Jo
xx

Old May 12th 2008, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Scott and Kaz will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Who's going to Sydney July/August time?

Me,

Should be leaving late July early August as long as we sell flat in time.

Kara (the girlfriend) is already there as her work wanted her to start a bit earlier.

She arrived last weekend and had her first day at work today.

We are going out on a De Facto spouse visa as Kara has an Australian passport through descent.

Any ideas what areas you are planning to live in? Thats our major task at the moment although i'm pretty much leaving that up to Kara!!

Scott
Old May 12th 2008, 3:32 pm
where is my gold ticket!!

michell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to allmichell is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ShoppingJoJo
Well we are! That is me, hubbie and two kiddies aged 5 and 2 years. We are going out on a 457 visa. Just want to be reassured that we are not the only ones making this HUGE step!

LOL

Jo
xx

We are also hoping to go july/august, just need to sell our bloomin house, there will be me ,hubby and our 4 kids and we are also going on a 457 visa, we are going to Sydney also, we are looking at the baulkham hills area to live how about you?

kind regards
michell

Last edited by michell; May 12th 2008 at 3:36 pm.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ShoppingJoJo

LOL

Jo
xx

My Boyfriend & I are flying into Sydney in the middle of July. We will be travelling around Asia for about a month and then plan on travelling up the Aus coast from Sydney to Cairns befor we start working. So we sill be back in Syd about the end of August. Maybe we should find some more people arriving about then and arrange a meet up? Or find out if someone else is organising a meet up. Its a scary move but I am so excited about it.
Old May 12th 2008, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Who's going to Sydney July/August time?

Great! So we are certainly not the only ones then - that's good to know! Would be lovely to arrange a meet for us all when we get out there, it sounds an exciting and nerve wracking time ahead for alot of people - but some of us are in the same boat it seems!

We are in Chatswoods, when we first arrive, my hubbie's employer are providing us with temporary accommodation for up to 6 weeks. We are then looking at Northern Beaches, if we can afford it, though it looks pricey. Until we come out and look around and find a school for our 5 year old it is difficult to say...but the beach is calling!

Lovely to hear from you all! Hope to stay in touch.

Jo and Martin
Old May 12th 2008, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

up4answers is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello all. New to this site.

I've just signed work contracts and once 457 is granted hope to be out at the beginning of July.

I'm coming out with my fiancee, actually, she'll be my wife by then!! I'm 34, she's 30 in November.

We've decided to rent our place out due to the fall in price at the moment. Just sorting out all the rental stuff. Also, by keeping the house we're entitled to LAFHA which is a big tax break.

We'd be interested in hooking up as we will only know 2 people out there!

Not sure where we'll live. We're thinking a short term let near my work, and then finding the right beachy area with a reasonable commute. We're thinking Manly (although i've heard it's very touristy), or Cronulla but Cronulla seems a long way out. It's difficult to tell without being there.

cheers
Old May 12th 2008, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like there will be plenty of us arriving in Sydney at the same time! Mrs TK and I arrive on 7th August
Old May 12th 2008, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Bailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to allBailey1 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by up4answers
Hello all. New to this site.

I've just signed work contracts and once 457 is granted hope to be out at the beginning of July.

I'm coming out with my fiancee, actually, she'll be my wife by then!! I'm 34, she's 30 in November.

We've decided to rent our place out due to the fall in price at the moment. Just sorting out all the rental stuff. Also, by keeping the house we're entitled to LAFHA which is a big tax break.

We'd be interested in hooking up as we will only know 2 people out there!

Not sure where we'll live. We're thinking a short term let near my work, and then finding the right beachy area with a reasonable commute. We're thinking Manly (although i've heard it's very touristy), or Cronulla but Cronulla seems a long way out. It's difficult to tell without being there.

cheers
What is the LAFHA?
Old May 13th 2008, 12:58 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings to all you newcomers. There are a couple of regular Sydney meet-ups, which are discussed on the Meet-ups section of this site. There's a regular CBD piss-up meet on Thursdays (probably more suited to those without sprogs) and a regular meet at the Castle Hill RSL (probably more suited to those with sprogs).

Old May 13th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bailey1
What is the LAFHA?
LAFHA is a tax allowance. It stands for Living Away From Home Allowance. Basically it is for employees who are living away from home for business reasons and so is open to those (amongst others) on a 457 visa. If you put in for PR then you lose it. What it gives you is a tax free allowance for your rent and food which can prove to be very lucrative. However it is at your employers discretion whether to grant it so I would advise ensuring that it is in your contract.

Here's a link to some further information.

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/docume..._Allowance.pdf
Old May 13th 2008, 5:38 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yanH
LAFHA is a tax allowance. It stands for Living Away From Home Allowance. Basically it is for employees who are living away from home for business reasons and so is open to those (amongst others) on a 457 visa. If you put in for PR then you lose it. What it gives you is a tax free allowance for your rent and food which can prove to be very lucrative. However it is at your employers discretion whether to grant it so I would advise ensuring that it is in your contract.

Here's a link to some further information.

http://www.gomatilda.com/news/docume..._Allowance.pdf
exactly that as Yanh says, although it is not (as stated by a previous poster) subject to you keeping an existing property in the UK. You just have to state your intention is to return to the UK at the end of your sponsorship period.
Old May 13th 2008, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

wbbugs will become famous soon enough

Hello JOJO. Thought I would add myself aswell. I will be going early july. Will be looking at living in the baulkham hills area. Will be working in North Ryde.

Going on a 457 with my wife and 3 children (7,4,1). Really starting to sink in now.
Old May 13th 2008, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Well, it is good to hear that their are a few of us going out around the same time! I was getting disheartened that most of us expats were heading to Perth or Gold Coast/Brisbane!

Be good to meet up once we are settled for a glass of wine and beer with kiddies or without!

Keep in touch.

Jo and Martin
x
Old May 13th 2008, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

HI, sans everything going to plan, I am looking at the first week of July to arrive... oh my word I need to get my a into g!
Old May 14th 2008, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Scott and Kaz will become famous soon enough

Good to hear that there are a few Scottish people heading over.

Are any of you going to the meet up they are organising in Glasgow??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.