Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whooping Cough (Pertussis). Adult Booster needed if pregnant?

Whooping Cough (Pertussis). Adult Booster needed if pregnant?

Old Feb 23rd 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Whooping Cough (Pertussis). Adult Booster needed if pregnant?

Hi all,

I know that a few people ask about immunisations etc when moving over.

Well I was just on one of the baby websites and I wasn't aware and I now am that Whooping Cough (Pertussis) is on the increase in Western Australia (I think Australia wide to).

It has never been mentioned to me when I visited the doctors but I will be enquiring about a booster because I am currently expecting baby number 3. As much as our children are often vaccinated the vaccine does not protect children forever. Mothers especially are being encouraged to get a booster before they become pregnant or immediately afterwards because newborns do not get immunity until around 6 months (if they have the jabs at 2,4 and 6 months). This is suppose to be the way most newborns are infected (or whatever the right word is).

Not sure if this figures are 100% but on the baby website it mentioned that there has been over 200 cases already this year in WA and last year the annual figure was at 100.

Hope this helps someone.

Poppet