Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who'd ya fly to Oz with and were they any good?

Who'd ya fly to Oz with and were they any good?

Old Oct 14th 2008, 12:31 pm
Just Joined

sciencemonitor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who'd ya fly to Oz with and were they any good?

Etihad - often the most competitive on prices (we flew LHR to SYD Jan 08), good leg room, good service, went via Abu Dhabi non-stop (not a very large airport, ok if you're only there a few hours stopover) and allow 30 kgs hold luggage / 7 kgs hand luggage per person.
Old Oct 16th 2008, 10:55 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
Jeez! is it that time already!!!! I can't believe you're moving already

All the very best of British to yah sir!!!

PS, How is Blackpool?? Comin' through next weekend for the annual fish and chips on the front and see the lights.

Nic
hey nic long time no hear. blackpools been good. should have been in aus in August but my dad had a heart attack and had to have a bypass so waited till he was better and I fly out on 18th nov land in melbourne on 20th been a long time coming but looking back seems like no time at all
Old Oct 17th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

LiseM is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I flew Cathay Pacific earlier this year - London to Melbourne with refuelling in Hong Kong. They have a good website for picking what seat you want in advance, any dietry requirements & online checkin. The 1st leg of the trip - on a 747 - wasn't packed & they've introduced the fixed-back shell seat meaning people can't recline into your space - instead the bottom of your seat adjusts so you're in a reclined position (of sorts!). I found it alright & well padded. The in air entertainment options were fantastic - really great new movies etc all when you wanted to watch - not on a timer........then it came time to reboard onto a new plane at Hong Kong & it was a shi**y little airbus aircraft where the seats were tiny (& I'm a small person!!!), the seats hardly padded & really uncomfortable, full flight, entertainment channels at a minimum & timed to start at set intervals & it was really like being trapped in cattle class for the 9 & half hours - just horrible.
This time around I'm flying with Qantas......here's hoping they're better (& don't crash by the sounds of things!!)
Old Oct 17th 2008, 1:30 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul30
hey nic long time no hear. blackpools been good. should have been in aus in August but my dad had a heart attack and had to have a bypass so waited till he was better and I fly out on 18th nov land in melbourne on 20th been a long time coming but looking back seems like no time at all
Really sorry to hear that Paul. Heres wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

Be sure to let us all know how your first couple of months in Ozland work out. All the best,

Nic
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:01 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I usually fly BA and, like all airlines, 99% of the rating depends on the cabin crew that day. Mostly they have been fine.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:51 am
Just Joined

juleschap is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ya

Have flown Cathay Pacific who were excellent when travelling with a small baby they couldn't do enough for us. The flights were on time and the food was nice as far as plane food goes.

2 years ago flew Qantas, they upgraded us to Business Class as they'd overbooked the economy class which was fantastic. We flew home in economy though which was good but obviously the seats weren't as comfy. The staff were lovely, the films were good and the food ok.

Am flying out in Feb so will either go with BA or Qantas.

Have a great trip.
Jules
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES FLY WITH B.A. UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE RIPPED OFF, PATRONISED AND TREATED LIKE CATTLE (EVEN IN TRAVELLER PLUS). ALSO, ONLY IF YOU WANT YOUR KIDS TO BE TREATED AS A MAJOR HASSLE BY INDIFFERENT AND UNCARING STAFF. Over and out!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 4:57 pm
Just Joined

brewer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The O'Neills
The Q? is in the title, who did you fly to Oz with, were they any good and why?

We flew to Singapore with BA - night-time flight that was empty so we got to lie down and sleep. That was great.

We flew Singapore to Darwin with Qantas and they were fantastic. Very freindly and welcoming and they couldn't do enough for us.

We flew Tokyo to Heathrow with BA - and absolute hell on earth of a flight!!!! Stuffed in like cattle - freezing cold, no food and couldn't get an attendant for a drink! - nightmare.

Please share your experience 'cos we will be booking again soon and I want to balance price with comfort.

Thanks

Nic
We flew the first time with Singapore Airlines and they could not do enough for us. On our second visit though we went with Quantas as they were considerably cheaper. Quantas were great from Heathrow to Singapore but then we had to go with BA (although we'd booked with Q) and it was awful. Same on our return. The BA staff we're grumpy and unhelpful and it was not a pleasant experience at all. So when we finally get our visa (sometime this century hopefully!) we will pay the extra and go with Singapore. Well worth it!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:27 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

First time I went I travelled with Malaysia Airlines (from Manchester via KL without a europe connection too - what happened to that?) and they were fabulous.

Last year I went Air France/Qantas - Air France ok, nothing to write home about but wasnt impressed with Qantas really.

Next time (six weeks today) I am flying Singapore Airlines. Have heard so many good things about them and they also came out cheapest one way from Manchester, with only one stop too!
Old Oct 19th 2008, 7:03 pm
Forum Regular

Iando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant futureIando has a brilliant future

Flown Emirates twice and Singapore as far as SIngapore -both good
Downside with Emirates is having to spend any time at all in the awful Dubai airport - although I think they are building a new terminal at the moment
Old Oct 20th 2008, 8:07 am
Just Joined

sciencemonitor is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out:

www.airlinequality.com
Old Oct 20th 2008, 9:11 am

oliver1982 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mikeyc

My flight back to Europe next year is with Qantas (hate that bit) and Austrian Airlines – no idea what they are like, but heard not the best.... but hey, for $850 for the ticket, I can’t complain or expect much.

Mikey
How much is the total return trip costing you for one ticket and where are you stopping off ?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak highly enough of Air New Zealand. Plenty of leg room, one of the best IFE systems and going via the US you can take 2 x 23kg bags each.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:12 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sr71
I can't speak highly enough of Air New Zealand. Plenty of leg room, one of the best IFE systems and going via the US you can take 2 x 23kg bags each.
....and have to put up with all the crap at LA airport.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
....and have to put up with all the crap at LA airport.
I've heard that, but in my experience I've never had a problem and even found the terminal to be reasonable, certainly no worse than many European airports.

You could always stop in LA which I find to be a very enjoyable city.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.