Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who would you fight for - Aus or GB?

Who would you fight for - Aus or GB?

Old May 24th 2007, 7:00 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who would you fight for - Aus or GB?

It is a responsibility of citizenship that you must be prepared to defend Australia if it came to it.

So if Australia ever went to war with Britain which side would you fight for?

When it comes to sport I find myself supporting the old country but I think I would fight for Australia if it came to it.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who would you fight for - Aus or GB?

Originally Posted by worzel
It is a responsibility of citizenship that you must be prepared to defend Australia if it came to it.

When it comes to sport I find myself supporting the old country but I think I would fight for Australia if it came to it.
You're really in wind-up mode aren't you?!!

This has to be THE most potentially polarising thread title in the history of BE!!
Old May 24th 2007, 7:08 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

I spose it depends who's sides the yanks are on
Old May 24th 2007, 7:11 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Dumbest question of the year awarded to Worzel
Old May 24th 2007, 7:11 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

None of them, because no doubt it would have to be politicians that started it, and I don't fight for politicians.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:14 am
Where's the factor 30.

Mid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of lightMid Lifer. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
Dumbest question of the year awarded to Worzel
Yeah makes Norman Tebbits "cricket test" seem very tame
Old May 24th 2007, 7:14 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
You're really in wind-up mode aren't you?!!

This has to be THE most potentially polarising thread title in the history of BE!!
It is a serious question. I read a lot of people going on about the benefits of citizenship but not the responsbilities. It really is the ultimate test of whether you have settled.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:17 am
Where's the factor 30.

There would be some VERY big internment camps.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a serious question. I read a lot of people going on about the benefits of citizenship but not the responsbilities. It really is the ultimate test of whether you have settled.
Bearing in mind that most people have a lot of close family in the UK and Australia it becomes an impossible question to answer - and not really because of being settled or not.

Even the most settled of migrants, the real Aus lovers, surely can't imagine flying a fighter-bomber over England and dropping a few on loved ones.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
Bearing in mind that most people have a lot of close family in the UK and Australia it becomes an impossible question to answer - and not really because of being settled or not.

Even the most settled of migrants, the real Aus lovers, surely can't imagine flying a fighter-bomber over England and dropping a few on loved ones.

Exaclty what I was thinking. If there was a war between the two and the young ones were called up, I would have a son on the Australian side and one on the UK side.

Just out of interest, does anyone actually know who you would be 'expected' to fight for if you have dual citizenship. Can you choose?
Old May 24th 2007, 7:26 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

But it's really not. I'm settled in Australia. Very happily settled. And I like it here. But I'm going back.

In reality, for most people, it wouldn't be a case of choosing who they'd fight for. It would be a case of who recruited them first and where they happened to be at the time.
Old May 24th 2007, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

Womat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really niceWomat is just really nice

Would it also not depend on the reason for the war between the two in the first place?
Old May 24th 2007, 7:33 am
A former regular of BE

Okay, put it another way. If you had to choose one country over the other and never be allowed to set foot in the other which would it be?

I was going to ask if you had to renounce UK citizenship to take Australian would you (I work with a Dutch guy and a Singaporean woman for whom that is an actual choice) but that really doesn't change your life - just whether you get to stand in the short or long queue at the airport normally.

At this point in time I have no intention of ever going back (except if mum or dad dies). As soon as I got here I felt like I had finally come home. Does anyone else feel that way?
Old May 24th 2007, 7:35 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, put it another way. If you had to choose one country over the other and never be allowed to set foot in the other which would it be?

I was going to ask if you had to renounce UK citizenship to take Australian would you (I work with a Dutch guy and a Singaporean woman for whom that is an actual choice) but that really doesn't change your life - just whether you get to stand in the short or long queue at the airport normally.

At this point in time I have no intention of ever going back (except if mum or dad dies). As soon as I got here I felt like I had finally come home. Does anyone else feel that way?
Was that question not done to death in a thread about a week ago?
Old May 24th 2007, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I do. Felt like that almost as soon as I got here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.