Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who worked abroad prior going to Oz

Who worked abroad prior going to Oz

Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold
Default Who worked abroad prior going to Oz

Worked in the USA in my early twenties and thought I would never work abroad again. Has anyone else done this and then years later heading out to Oz?

Debbie
Old Jul 4th 2007, 11:45 pm

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who worked abroad prior going to Oz

Originally Posted by brissydeb
Worked in the USA in my early twenties and thought I would never work abroad again. Has anyone else done this and then years later heading out to Oz?

Debbie
I worked on the Isle Of Sheppey and decided I didn't want to work THERE again ...
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Katherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really niceKatherined0 is just really nice

Debbie
Yep -- worked in France during my late teens and early 20s.... Always wanted to travel and work abroad again. Had to wait until my mid-30s before I did it again. Very different ball-game with Hubby and 2 kids though!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Yup, spent a year in Africa (had to learn French) and then two years in Brazil (had to learn Portuguese). Since i am rubbish at languages the move to Aus is a blessing, at least they almost speak English.
Personally i love living abroad, but must admit as you get older it gets harder..
Old Jul 5th 2007, 1:53 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Worked in France and the U.S. Preferred the former over the latter.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Kiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the roughKiangsu is a jewel in the rough

Yeah worked in the US for 12months and now am in Oz. Always wanted to leave the UK again from returning from the US was just a matter of where!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Mipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud ofMipik has much to be proud of

I did over 10 years in China before coming here.
Moving every couple of years, sometimes thousands of kms.

I would say this made the whole move to Oz much easier.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 2:52 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Worked for a year in Canada and then 4 years in the USA in the late 80's. Loved living with more space around me and when I went back to the UK I had complete culture shock and thought I'd landed in the 3rd world . Got used to it again I guess but never completely loved living there again (although I would have been okay if I could have lived in more rural areas I think, where there was no work for my hubby).

Lou
xx
Old Jul 5th 2007, 5:58 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Yep, left Ireland and went to Cyprus for a couple of years, then met my OH and went to the U.K with him. Once we came back we both knew we wouldn't settle in the U.K for good. It just took a bit longer then we thought to emigrate again.
Tracie
Old Jul 5th 2007, 7:19 am
Account Closed

ELLJAY is an unknown quantity at this point

Debbie
Hi Debbie,
Yes - i too worked in the USA in my early twenties...then vowed I'd NEVER live in another country again as I was English through and through.

Then fast forward 15 years.....here I am in Oz ....been here 18 months.

As the saying goes.....Never say NEVER !!!

Lj

Ps - where were you in USA ? - were you an au pair?
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:01 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Lived and worked in Oz for a year 98, NZ 2000 and Thailand 2001 - 2006. Now back in Oz. No plans to go over seas again. I did however have the chance to work and live in Dubai last week.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:26 am
UK to Brissy - August 07

smoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nicesmoggieswilltravel is just really nice

Yep

Lived and worked in Austria for 4 year in my early 20's, I think it helps as I know what I'm like when I move away from home. I don't get home sick much at all. Saying that I think it is different once you have kids, because its the other family members that hurt more, I feel for them. But I don't worry about the moving away for the UK at all.

Visa here, organising shippers, heyyyyy
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by smoggieswilltravel
Yep

Lived and worked in Austria for 4 year in my early 20's, I think it helps as I know what I'm like when I move away from home. I don't get home sick much at all. Saying that I think it is different once you have kids, because its the other family members that hurt more, I feel for them. But I don't worry about the moving away for the UK at all.

Visa here, organising shippers, heyyyyy
worked in Singapore 2000-2002 then had to move back to London, which is like living in a different country sometimes!

would not hesitate to go back to SG if had the chance (and the money!) although it might be a bit different to the freedom i had now i'm married with kids!!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Worked in Luxembourg. Nice. But there are so many decent restaurant meals you can stomach. Oh for beans on toast!!
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Debbie
Worked in Bermuda for a couple of years in construction....... that was magic.

Emigrated from Preston UK to South Africa; based mainly in Johburg but also did short stints up in Rhodesia and Botswana.

Eventually ended up at Oranjemund in Namibia; spent 2 years there prior to having what was meant to be a 6 month holiday down-under........ liked Perth so much I never returned to Africa........... apart from a couple of 3 month hitches in Algeria at the hell-hole known as Gassi-Touil......... then it was quickly back to paradise in Perth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.