Who took what?

Old Oct 18th 2012, 12:55 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who took what?

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
So in a similar position, but not expecting to leave UK until next April.

My washer / dryer is very old and I'm surprised it's still working. Buy a new one here now and ship or wait and buy new on arrival?

Also, we will be moving into a short term rental when sale goes through - would you send the furniture in advance?

Thanks
Buy a new one now, use it and then bring it with you. We shipped everything a month before we left. We were a bit odd and bought within three weeks of landing - wouldn't recommend it for normal people - the container was delivered the same day we got the keys. Worked like a dream. It's way easier to borrow stuff off friends, rellies and neighbours there than it is to get stuff to tide you over here. Imo anyway.
Old Oct 18th 2012, 1:11 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
Buy a new one now, use it and then bring it with you. We shipped everything a month before we left. We were a bit odd and bought within three weeks of landing - wouldn't recommend it for normal people - the container was delivered the same day we got the keys. Worked like a dream. It's way easier to borrow stuff off friends, rellies and neighbours there than it is to get stuff to tide you over here. Imo anyway.
That was what I was thinking. Thanks MP
Old Oct 19th 2012, 12:38 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Who took what?

We threw out a lot of stuff, and I wish we'd just taken it all. The cost of bringing it is mitigated by the fact that you don't need to buy it again at the other end. You'll thank yourself, trust me.

We used Allied Pickfords and Letton Percival. I can recommend them both. Haggle aggressively to get the price down; they have plenty of room in their profit margin. I argued the toss with Allied Pickfords, and scored a substantial reduction just one week before we were due to fly out.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Oct 19th 2012 at 12:41 am.
Old Oct 21st 2012, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

sormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud ofsormesher has much to be proud of

Haven't read what everyone has said but I would say TAKE EVERYTHING, and buy extra. Things are expensive here and not the same quality for affordable things so PACK IT ALL
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all

We took most of our things, said even if they last us 6 mths it'll give us a chance to get on our feet and maybe get new things....we were still using them 4 years later...Sod the new furniture...we bought a boat instead lol

Agree with the OP, try and pack as many new things as you can i.e. bed linen, socks! etc they can be quite expensive in Oz. You'll pay double if not more the price for something of Primark quality....Be prepared!
Old Oct 22nd 2012, 11:29 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaz&Dee View Post
Agree with the OP, try and pack as many new things as you can i.e. bed linen, socks! etc they can be quite expensive in Oz. You'll pay double if not more the price for something of Primark quality....Be prepared!
You really need to find yourself some different shops.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 6:58 am
Just Joined

CindyHelens is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I won’t pack everything if there are things needed to be replaced.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by CindyHelens View Post
Well, I won’t pack everything if there are things needed to be replaced.
Like what? If you've got the shippers coming tomorrow (for example) and something is dying then don't bring it. If you've not got the shippers coming for months and something needs replacing, replace it now and bring it with you. If in doubt shove it in.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 9:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rick C View Post
Ok then guys, house sale is going well now looking around the house and trying to decide what to take over with us.

We are thinking of taking our 4 seater sofa and 2 arm chairs as they new and our bed.

So would people recommend taking white goods and bedroom furniture?

Cheers all
If the white goods are newish and you reckon they will last a long time, then bring them.

Bedroom furniture yes but not wardrobes/cupboards.

Bring the sofa and chairs too.

If you're using a container then have a "maybe list" of stuff that if it doesn't fit in then leave behind.
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Wherever I drive to after work each evening I guess
Toe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud ofToe Dipper has much to be proud of

Even bring the Mrs!, but you might have to declare her..........
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all

You really need to find yourself some different shops.
Don't know why your confused Moneypenny, the shops in the UK are so much better and cheaper than Oz so if you can afford to stock up on a few things before you go then why not?

If things are literally on their last legs then I wouldn't bother bringing them. We had a fridge that we thought was only gonna last about 6 mths, it done us 4 years in Oz and has been used now as a spare fridge in the garage for the last 3!

If your paying for a 40ft container....fill it!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 12:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Default Re: Who took what?'

Originally Posted by Shaz&Dee View Post
Don't know why your confused Moneypenny, the shops in the UK are so much better and cheaper than Oz so if you can afford to stock up on a few things before you go then why not?
Because I don't recognise your comment about 'bed linen, socks! etc they can be quite expensive in Oz. You'll pay double if not more the price for something of Primark quality.' It's complete nonsense in my world and why anyone would want something of Primark quality is completely beyond me.

It's called having a differing opinion.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 6:35 am
Just Joined

CindyHelens is an unknown quantity at this point

Like what? If you've got the shippers coming tomorrow (for example) and something is dying then don't bring it. If you've not got the shippers coming for months and something needs replacing, replace it now and bring it with you. If in doubt shove it in.
Hahah..

I won’t bother bringing my old clothes that won’t fit anymore or books that I don’t want to read again…