Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who moans the most

Who moans the most

Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

hamiltonnz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Who moans the most

Is it Poms, Kiwis or Ozzies. I think perhaps Poms have got the most to moan about - bad traffic congestion, rotten weather mostly, smog, very little coast to do anything with etc so I dont blame them. Theyve had many more generations to practise as well and are very good at it. but do Poms moan just as much when they get to Oz or NZ? I dont know. What do you think. Now Kiwis can moan with the best of them if they want to but I think we have less to moan about over here than you Poms because were not very sophisticated so Im told. Kiwi moaning is rather crude and its very clear when we moan that we are moaning(Pom is not an offensive word to me - hope its not to you). But Ozzies - what about them. Are they too busy having a good time to moan alot? They only seem to have a really good moan when they lose at sports or the beers not cold. maybe thats another good reason for going to Oz - theres less moaners over there.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 6:18 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who moans the most

Originally posted by hamiltonnz
maybe thats another good reason for going to Oz - theres less moaners over there.
Depends on whos window you are listening at .
Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:05 am
Badge

I was going to post an original about this

Do poms whinge - is it true - or is a figment of the aussie's imagination?

I think to an extent it is true that Poms do whinge.
I spent all last year with Aussies and the first thing I noticed on meeting Brits was that whilst they didn't actually whinge/moan - Aussies take note! the conversation were more self-effacing, downplaying, "worried"/ introverted, more negative, more stressed. It was very subtle and I couldn't put my finger on what was wrong. Was always quite glad to get back to the aussies. There was more banter and laughter for a start.

I suppose the Aussies have a reason to acuse us of it. Didn't come from nothing. Maybe all the ten pound poms were massive whingers back in the 50s and 60s and thats how it all started. I suspect it wasn't so much whinging but constant comparisons etc.

So Poms - whinger or not?!!

badgers

Old Sep 19th 2003, 10:34 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by badgersmount
I suppose the Aussies have a reason to acuse us of it. Didn't come from nothing. Maybe all the ten pound poms were massive whingers back in the 50s and 60s and thats how it all started. I suspect it wasn't so much whinging but constant comparisons etc.
The 10 quid poms had no recourse to jet aerocraft - 2 months on a ship or a week by piston-prop at the price of a years wages - no safety valve. The Poms I know are a nice lot by and large.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:08 am
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all

Originally posted by Megalania
The 10 quid poms had no recourse to jet aerocraft - 2 months on a ship or a week by piston-prop at the price of a years wages - no safety valve. The Poms I know are a nice lot by and large.
You going soft Megelunia?
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:12 am
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

I have yet to spend long enough around Aussies to make a proper comparison but my gut feeling is that us Brits whinge far more.

A coversation heard on the train between 2 women earlier this week travelling from Birmingham to Bournemouth was quite honestly just one whinge after another and most of the time they were talking about work colleagues, holidays, restaurants.

I can't actually recall either of them saying anything positive at all and I was on the train for 3 hours!

The ladies at my gym in the mornings could turn whinging into a national sport. That's if we haven't already done so.

I think Brits always regard the glass as half empty instead of half full.

Whinge over (!)
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:20 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally posted by chippy
You going soft Megelunia?
Already had dinner thanks, makes me rosy dreamy!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:24 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Everyone everywhere seems to whinge.

My wifes mates who are over here constantly whinge about the UK. However.....when they are'nt whinging they are saying how great the place is. Go figure.

People at work whinge about the place all the time. They are all pretty glad to have a job though.

In summary.......for the majority.....wha tthey have is never good enough.

ALSO........

Whinging is a great conversation starter. Its somthing for people to discuss or agree about.

"ohhh the number 10 was late this morning"

"i knowww dear these new red buses are always late"

"Did you see crossroads last night?"

etcetcetc.
Old Sep 19th 2003, 2:54 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who moans the most

Aussies
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

I don't think Poms whinge enough! They are the worst at complaining about cr** service etc and are too polite to say anything most of the time.
We shlould all make a point of whinging MORE
Old Sep 19th 2003, 4:13 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by tinaj
I don't think Poms whinge enough! They are the worst at complaining about cr** service etc and are too polite to say anything most of the time.
We shlould all make a point of whinging MORE
Here here Tina, i hate complaining, but i don't know why!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Talking

Hey!!..dont let these kiwis off the hook. I am a pom married to a kiwi, living in Auckland. You guys obviously havent met our neighbour! True blue kiwi bloke, who whinges from the minute he wakes up till his head hits the pillow at night. Don't let kiwis tell you that they moan less than poms..they are experts at it!!
Old Sep 19th 2003, 11:53 pm
Keelie

Hang on a minute.... it's the whingers of the world who effect the most
change.
Great whingers of the past...dear old Dame Barbara Cartland who 'whinged' when she was served tea in a cracked cup at London airport...this actually made front page news, and raised forever the level of hygiene in the 'hospitality' trade.

Think suffragette..all those 'whinging' women who wanted to be recognized as equals. Who's your favourite whinger?
'Whinging has a bad name on this forum, but personally I think it takes backbone to go against the status quo and whinge when something is unacceptable.
If not for whingers we'd still be washing clothes in a stream, working twelve hours days with one day off a week,no pensions, and no six week paid holidays.
Change the world...keep whinging all you whingers.

Old Sep 20th 2003, 12:12 am
Banned

Whinge away if that is an essential part of your being, your cultural identity, just do it in a locked room, you'll be let out when your legitimate complains lack whine.