Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who Likes a dose of cold weather now and again.

View Poll Results: Do you sometimes miss cold weather (summers coming !!)
Yes
31.03%
No
27.59%
Yes, especially after a week of above body temp weather
17.24%
Never, not after the winters I've been through.
24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Who Likes a dose of cold weather now and again.

Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who Likes a dose of cold weather now and again.

Personally I've never been a great lover of very hot weather. I cannot abide being in a place that doesn't have airconditioning, where the temp is above say 37 degrees. Sometimes I miss, particuarly around christmas time, cold crisp weather, especially if there is a hint of snow in the air.

I'd like to post a poll aimed specifically please at people that have been here for say at least a year and even longer preferably who, (and it's not a crime to say this). Sometimes finds hot weather tiresome.

I think it will be hard to find someone that has been here say 8 years, that wouldn't mind a british style cold snap. Especially if you ask them after a week of above 38 degrees. There isn't anything as tiresome, as sitting trying to keep cool, sweat stinging your eyes and chaffing your bits where every little effort results in copious outbreaks of odious perspiration soaking your clothes.

Over to the people
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:32 pm
Up The Arse!!

wengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond reputewengerboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who Likes a dose of cold weather now and again.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Personally I've never been a great lover of very hot weather. I cannot abide being in a place that doesn't have airconditioning, where the temp is above say 37 degrees. Sometimes I miss, particuarly around christmas time, cold crisp weather, especially if there is a hint of snow in the air.

I'd like to post a poll aimed specifically please at people that have been here for say at least a year and even longer preferably who, (and it's not a crime to say this). Sometimes finds hot weather tiresome.

I think it will be hard to find someone that has been here say 8 years, that wouldn't mind a british style cold snap. Especially if you ask them after a week of above 38 degrees. There isn't anything as tiresome, as sitting trying to keep cool, sweat stinging your eyes and chaffing your bits where every little effort results in copious outbreaks of odious perspiration soaking your clothes.

Over to the people
don`t mind a bit of cold weather myself,yesterday was a good example rained for 90 percent of the day and was only 12 degrees :scared:
perfect conditions for working indoors
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:56 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

We,ve been here just over 9mths-does that count !!

I wouldnt mind a cold blast of the nippy scottish wind every now & again!,I miss the frosty wintery sunny mornings,scarf & gloves on & the kids sliding in the frozen puddles!!
Experiencing our first Christmas here is gony be weird for us,cooking in roasting conditions instead of waiting for the first drop of snow & looking forward to a lovely warm roast dinner!

Donna.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Cold whats that

http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.a...5E3102,00.html
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
We,ve been here just over 9mths-does that count !!

I wouldnt mind a cold blast of the nippy scottish wind every now & again!,I miss the frosty wintery sunny mornings,scarf & gloves on & the kids sliding in the frozen puddles!!
Experiencing our first Christmas here is gony be weird for us,cooking in roasting conditions instead of waiting for the first drop of snow & looking forward to a lovely warm roast dinner!

Donna.

The reason I said over 12 months, is because the longer people are here, I reckon the more they will miss cold weather.

Looks like your anticipating missing the atmosphere that the cold weather brings at Christmas though

I really would love to savour and enjoy with real enthusiasm a Traditional Christmas roast, with the house heated and the outside icy.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

This will be our 3rd Oz Christmas and it still doesn't feel right...

I loved the UK days when you are wrapped up tight in winter clothes with all the family around the christmas tree. Things don't feel like christmas when you are in your bathers at the bbq.

However where we live we still get many cold days. Sometimes too many and because the houses are not built for it they often feel colder than in the UK. My favourite season has to be Autumn both here and in the UK however here it lasts much longer and is much drier
Old Oct 8th 2005, 10:15 am
Badge

Originally Posted by woodyinoz
This will be our 3rd Oz Christmas and it still doesn't feel right...

I loved the UK days when you are wrapped up tight in winter clothes with all the family around the christmas tree. Things don't feel like christmas when you are in your bathers at the bbq.

However where we live we still get many cold days. Sometimes too many and because the houses are not built for it they often feel colder than in the UK. My favourite season has to be Autumn both here and in the UK however here it lasts much longer and is much drier
Nice thing about Melly is that winter you can dress properly for a while - long enough that when heat returns you welcome it. Best of both worlds. I'm never worried about Christmas, I love long summer nights, and as my birthday is now in high summer around Christmas too, I love the season.I'm one of the few people who love Christmas here.

Badge

Old Oct 8th 2005, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
The reason I said over 12 months, is because the longer people are here, I reckon the more they will miss cold weather.
You've got to be kidding...

I've been here now for 26 years and have never missed cold English weather for a millisecond. I'd never go back to the UK in the (UK) winter because it would mean missing a few weeks of summer here.

If I want a bit of cool, crisp weather, I'd go to the mountains here in the winter.
Old Oct 8th 2005, 1:03 pm
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Badge
Nice thing about Melly is that winter you can dress properly for a while - long enough that when heat returns you welcome it. Best of both worlds. I'm never worried about Christmas, I love long summer nights, and as my birthday is now in high summer around Christmas too, I love the season.I'm one of the few people who love Christmas here.

Badge
Mine is near Christmas too - and very welcome it will be to have a warm day - instead orf thick frost, or worse - rain............though of course we live in Melly, so you never know

I've been a bit surprised at how cold it has got this winter - chilly wind..

I love the heat - but wouldn't want it constantly - too wearing, but I'm looking forward to those long balmy evenings too
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:25 pm
Gwyllt

gogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud ofgogdownunder has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
Mine is near Christmas too - and very welcome it will be to have a warm day - instead orf thick frost, or worse - rain............though of course we live in Melly, so you never know

I've been a bit surprised at how cold it has got this winter - chilly wind..

I love the heat - but wouldn't want it constantly - too wearing, but I'm looking forward to those long balmy evenings too
Melly, yeh gotta love that, I know you're just taking the piss but do pomms actually use that term? Do they say Perthie as well? Dunno. Brisi is no probs though

Anyway, this Melbourne winter was mild this year as it has been for at least 20y. Hot summer days go for 3 in a row max....A/C recommended but not essential............store the wine under the house though
Old Oct 8th 2005, 2:29 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by gogdownunder

Melly, yeh gotta love that, I know you're just taking the piss but do pomms actually use that term? Do they say Perthie as well? Dunno. Brisi is no probs though

Anyway, this Melbourne winter was mild this year as it has been for at least 20y. Hot summer days go for 3 in a row max....A/C recommended but not essential............store the wine under the house though
Maybe you've confirmed it then. I'd wondered about that too. Guilty m'lud. Can't say I've heard an Aussie say it. Seems to be a site thing. I thought this winter was pretty mild too, we had all that sun in May, (autumn I know), and the rain seemed to come a bit later this year.

Badge

Old Oct 8th 2005, 4:35 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

I never moved for the weather, in fact Sydney is possibly going to prove more than I can handle this year.

I love Autumn and Spring here. Hate the hot hot days, have you ever needed to wear full stockings/tights and business attire in 30 degrees.

I also think after 3.5 yrs here I would be crappy in a colder winter climate cause I am finding the aussie Sydney winter bloody cold at times and praising myself for not throwing out any of my winter gear when we tranfered over

Cheers
Old Oct 10th 2005, 12:22 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i've never hated cold weather, just the fact that it went on for soooooo damn long.

going to the slopes in nz, or out to stanthorpe/bunya mountains during the winter is great.

cold weather is fine when you know that it's only for a short while, and you know the end date!

glad i'm not in perth though - forecast of only 17°C today!! brrrrrrrr