Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who left the UK, OZ bound without employment lined up

who left the UK, OZ bound without employment lined up

Old Jun 6th 2010, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

johnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the rough
Default who left the UK, OZ bound without employment lined up

Just wondered who took the risk of leaving a good job in the uk and arrived in Australia jobless and on the hunt for employment from day one? how did you get on?

Looking to do just that in a few months, im a traded auto electrician heading for Perth, and all of a sudden im thinking about all the what if this does or doesn't happen, you know that roller-coaster feeling, gulllllppp.

Is it best to start at the agency's, the local news papers, the internet, and what is the response to migrants from the uk, do the Aussies get first look for most jobs or is it a case of the best man/woman wins on the day.

Im sure most people have wondered all the above at some point, its just a case of the great unknown i guess.
Old Jun 6th 2010, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: who left the UK, OZ bound without employment lined up

The first fleet?
Old Jun 6th 2010, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

misterjack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Red_V_Roger
The first fleet?
You should get a job no problem. Tradies here are valued now just as much as university scholars. A lot of the tradies earn lots of money here because there is a shortage of tradespeople.

Apply everywhere and someone will definately say yes.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

make sure you have enough cold hard cash to keep you going til you DO get a job...

You had your skills assessed for visa? Have you had your qualifications verified, are you certificated here?

personally I would avoid the agencies... They may be filling the hard to fill posts that no one wants...

Look in the ads... check out Seek on line ...

My OH is a panal beater.. he went to a couple of bodyrepair places, just dropped by for a chat ask what the work was like here etc etc etc and took his pick...
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:05 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

We came with no jobs, luckily Mr PP got a job in the first couple of weeks, I got mine after 6 weeks I think.

But we did not bring alot of money and I would strongly advise not doing this, we were lucky - however we would have been stuffed had we not got a job.

Being prepared to 'do anything' doesnt help because 'anything' is usually highly sought after.

It is stressful enough without worrying about how long your money will last.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:24 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in Australia jobless but just prior to leaving I did a cold call email campaign where I sent my resume to several companies who worked in my field. After touring around Australia for a couple of months I checked my emails and I had one inviting me to contact the company when I reached Melbourne. I did this and got a job.

Australia has a very large Hidden Job Market. It really does pay to devise a cold call campaign.

This website is very useful for finding vacancies All Jobs

Also you can use Yellow Pages to locate relevant companies
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:37 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by eddie007
make sure you have enough cold hard cash to keep you going til you DO get a job...

You had your skills assessed for visa? Have you had your qualifications verified, are you certificated here?

personally I would avoid the agencies... They may be filling the hard to fill posts that no one wants...

Look in the ads... check out Seek on line ...

My OH is a panal beater.. he went to a couple of bodyrepair places, just dropped by for a chat ask what the work was like here etc etc etc and took his pick...
This is poor advice, and uninformed.
When looking for work keep as many doors open as possible, and that would include contacting agencies.
Be proactive as opposed to reactive.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
This is poor advice, and uninformed.
When looking for work keep as many doors open as possible, and that would include contacting agencies.
Be proactive as opposed to reactive.
its actually advice informed by personal experience... which is why I said "personally" I would avoid... and in my line of work an experience several of my colleagues have shared....

I'd certainly agree with the be "proactive" comment... afterall no one is going to be sending a welcome waggon to the airport begging you to come and work for them becasue they heard you might be arriving... get out there and put yourself about
Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all

We left without anything set up. We'd sold our house in the UK so we knew that we could survive for a year or two if we really had to, but then we'd have nothing left. We also had family to stay with initially, which was a huge help.

OH had a job lined up (through recruitment agent!) and was working within 1 month of arriving. And we signed up for a rental by the end of the first month too.

Sometimes it's the only way to do it, some companies won't take you seriously unless you're in the country. Good luck.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:10 am

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

its actually advice informed by personal experience... which is why I said "personally" I would avoid... and in my line of work an experience several of my colleagues have shared....

I'd certainly agree with the be "proactive" comment... afterall no one is going to be sending a welcome waggon to the airport begging you to come and work for them becasue they heard you might be arriving... get out there and put yourself about
It is uninformed when you state: "They may be filling the hard to fill posts that no one wants..."
That simply is not the case.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by The Woodcutter
It is uninformed when you state: "They may be filling the hard to fill posts that no one wants..."
That simply is not the case.
mmmm let me see, Director of nursing posts.. vacant for 4 months with 4 previous DONS in the 6 months prior to that... I'd say that is a difficult to fill post.... and the word may does not imply that every post they are recruiting for is a difficult to fill one...

Likewise vacancies out woop woop may be difficult to fill as can be posts that are not renumerated to acceptable levels... in spite of industry standards... Those already working in the field will know that the money isn't good and the conditions frankly poor... but fresh blood?

anyway, enough of semantics...
Old Jun 7th 2010, 5:18 am

mmmm let me see, Director of nursing posts.. vacant for 4 months with 4 previous DONS in the 6 months prior to that... I'd say that is a difficult to fill post.... and the word may does not imply that every post they are recruiting for is a difficult to fill one...

Likewise vacancies out woop woop may be difficult to fill as can be posts that are not renumerated to acceptable levels... in spite of industry standards... Those already working in the field will know that the money isn't good and the conditions frankly poor... but fresh blood?

anyway, enough of semantics...
There may be several reasons why the director of nursing position has not been filled:
  1. There is no immediate need for it to be filled
  2. Management do not want it to be filled because: a) there is an impending re-structure; b) not filling it saves money
  3. There is no effective resourcing strategy in place
  4. HR are ineffective and unsophisticated
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:29 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that the majority of us who come on either skilled visas or spouse visas come without jobs. It's not easy to get a job from overseas, so those who do are generally in the minority.

Before anyone jumps on me shouting about how they had jobs before coming, I did not say it was impossible to get work before being here and some people do manage it.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:41 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Came with no job lined up and been on a 'career break' for 3 years (IT Professional). Got a job within 3 months.

My best advice is to take a short term contract for Aussie experience and don't aim for your 'perfect' job first up. Agencies? Yeh, try 'em all ... I hate them personally but beggars can't be choosers ...
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by johnandjoanne
Just wondered who took the risk of leaving a good job in the uk and arrived in Australia jobless and on the hunt for employment from day one? how did you get on?

Looking to do just that in a few months, im a traded auto electrician heading for Perth, and all of a sudden im thinking about all the what if this does or doesn't happen, you know that roller-coaster feeling, gulllllppp.

Is it best to start at the agency's, the local news papers, the internet, and what is the response to migrants from the uk, do the Aussies get first look for most jobs or is it a case of the best man/woman wins on the day.

Im sure most people have wondered all the above at some point, its just a case of the great unknown i guess.
We left the UK with no job but enough money for a few months, my hubby got a job in 3 weeks. Different field but I don't think you'll have any trouble. As others have said, be prepared to take less than perfect jobs for the first 6-12 months just top get you into the job market - Aussies love people to have 'a go' and that attitude will get you a long way.

Good luck!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.