Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who left the UK, OZ bound without employment lined up

who left the UK, OZ bound without employment lined up

Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Tubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to allTubbs2Oz is a name known to all
Default Re: who left the UK, OZ bound without employment lined up

Originally Posted by DeadVim
My best advice is to take a short term contract for Aussie experience and don't aim for your 'perfect' job first up. Agencies? Yeh, try 'em all ... I hate them personally but beggars can't be choosers ...
That's what my OH did, originally a 3 month contract now a continually extending 3 months at a time. But in the mean time his dream job has just been advertised and we're sending an application off this week, so !
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:34 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tubbs2Oz
That's what my OH did, originally a 3 month contract now a continually extending 3 months at a time. But in the mean time his dream job has just been advertised and we're sending an application off this week, so !
Same here, 3 months extended 3 times then permanent, seems to be a common story, I guess employers want to make sure they ain't getting another ping pong pom
Old Jun 7th 2010, 7:51 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I would hazard a guess that about 90% come without a job of any sort. Could be slightly less but not a lot.

Disclaimer: That's my statistic, no one else's and based only on what people on here have said over the years.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:36 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

I left a very good job in UK and went backpacking in southeast Asia for 7 months on the way here with no job lined up. OH left job he hated also with no job to come to. Everyone thought we were both mad, especially me, to leave relatively secure job in UK at that time (GFC) and head off into the unknown, and in our mid-30s too... We didn't have a lot of money behind us either, enough to live cheap for year or so if things got tough but would have been on a very tight budget and it was all the savings we had. We also arrived with no possessions except what we had in our backpacks and 2 small boxes of personal items that we sent ahead. So we were / are starting with nothing. We didn't think it was mad, we figured just go for it, what's the worst that can happen, you only live once etc etc. It was now or never for us. Thing is to be prepared to do work outside your comfort / salary zone I reckon. Also to start building a network as soon as you arrive. Luckily got offered a temp job here thru friends already here while backpacking and we both did that for 3 or 4 months on arrival, kept us going and meant we didn't touch our savings. Was in OH field but totally not in mine - we were helping to run a backpacker hostel and I had just finished a decade working as a cost analyst for a multinational! When that finished OH got another better job in travel industry through contacts made since we arrived in town, and I'm now pregnant & studying in the field I want to pursue (professional counselling). Life could not be more different to what it was in UK and it's all for the better. Sure we have a lot less money coming in but I'd trade the money for the lifestyle I now have anytime. I am so, so glad we took the risk and upped sticks & came out here even tho others thought we were crazy. Life is great! Good luck to OP whatever comes your way - if you want it badly enough & you're prepared to compromise and keep your expectations realistic, all will be fab

Last edited by PamE; Jun 7th 2010 at 10:41 am.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Just an observation, but I've read so many threads in the past about people whose dreams have fallen apart because, even though they had the qualifications to get a visa, didn't then have qualification for jobs when there. Not my field at all, just that I've felt so sorry for folk who have fallen foul of the trades qualifications. Good luck
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in July 2002. It only took us 6 weeks to get our permanent residency visas as I.T. skills were "in demand" and with hubby's knowledge and expertise in this field and glowing references, we were confident he wouldn't be without work for long. How wrong could we be? He was unemployed for 7 months. Really ate into our savings. He was over-qualified for most of the jobs he applied for and ended up having to tweak his resume just so that he could get a job back on the bottom rung of the ladder i.e. as a "software engineer" rather than being "project leader" or similar. Thankfully it wasn't long before he was able to start working his way back up that ladder again. Three jobs and eight years later, he is now in charge of the Perth office.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be one of them most probably.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I'll be one of them most probably.
We will be joining you as we have both given up our jobs - secondary teacher and joiner so some work turns up. Heading Gold Coast area in July.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

We'll be doing that at the end of August...
Have to stay fairly hopeful as Mr JenJen had a job in Melbourne back in 2006/ 2007 before the company went into liquidation :$ lucky they paid for our visa's first
He had a job in NSW in 2008 had to come back for many reasons - life was very complicated then.
Making our way round Oz -we're now heading to Brisbane in a couple of months lol.
No job lined up - little bit worried but hubby's good at his job and a couple of companies have said give em a shout when we get there...
Think he's gonna put his details with a couple of agencies he's found so hopefully we won't have to get to the stage of him needing to do the jobs in the 'anything' category but he has said he'd be happy to be a posty for a while til something came along.
I may decide to pimp him out if we get desperate.

We have some friends over there who are going to put us up - or should I say put up with us for a few weeks when we arrive which should make arrival over there a bit cheaper.
Of course the pound isn't worth much now which is highly annoying but hey ho.....
Having friends over there has been really helpful so far.. and I think it will be even more helpful once we arrive, I even think we've been adopted, i'm sure it's going to be highly stressful but we're ready for the ride once more and strapping the seatbelts on
Old Jun 7th 2010, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

landed on the wednesday afternoon, 2 interviews on the friday both of which resulted in job offers. started work on the monday Had a job before had anywhere to live Was pretty stressful time but came good. Having said that the job market is a bit different to when i arrived in Nov 2007.
Like others have said - be prepared to do anything whilst you look for the job you really want. Too many people are too fussy and then wonder why they are out of work with savings dwindling away
Good luck with it all x
Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

johnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the roughjohnandjoanne is a jewel in the rough

Dont you just love this forum

You have eased my anxiety's a little on the subject, as i said its not knowing that's the killer.

Thanks all
Old Jun 7th 2010, 10:16 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daunted
landed on the wednesday afternoon, 2 interviews on the friday both of which resulted in job offers. started work on the monday Had a job before had anywhere to live Was pretty stressful time but came good. Having said that the job market is a bit different to when i arrived in Nov 2007.
Like others have said - be prepared to do anything whilst you look for the job you really want. Too many people are too fussy and then wonder why they are out of work with savings dwindling away
Good luck with it all x
Same with me. Landed on a Sunday, interview on Wednesday, started work on Monday. Definitely not what I wanted to do forever, but it was a job which meant income and Aussie experience. Funny thing is that we came on my husband's skills and he couldn't find work for love nor money. It took him 9 months and an interstate move to get a job.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond reputetartankoala has a reputation beyond repute

Nearly 2 years after arriving and I'm still looking for something related to my Skilled Visa! I've had so many knock backs it's getting embarrassing/worrying. If anyone knows of anyone who's looking for a PL/SQL developer in the Sydney area then PM me or check out my LinkedIn page.

Thankfully I am working but,although I really like the job and love the people I work with, it was only supposed to be a short term position.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

man_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to beholdman_called_Horse is a splendid one to behold

Give up a great job plus company car in UK back in mid 2004 and arrived in Australia after 5 months in Asia with a WHV, a CV and $8500 in my pocket, got the same Job with a competitor for more $$ plus a bigger car within 5 weeks of arrival (well it was xmas) ... 6 years later and I'm still here.

Last edited by man_called_Horse; Jun 8th 2010 at 11:20 am. Reason: missing word