Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who left the UK to give the Kids a better life? And has it worked out?

Who left the UK to give the Kids a better life? And has it worked out?

Old Aug 6th 2005, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who left the UK to give the Kids a better life? And has it worked out?

Hi, we are planning to make the move to Australia within the next 2 years.

One of our reasons is the hope of giving our children a better lifestyle and improving their prospects in life - we know that whatever happens their chances of ever working in South Wales get slimmer by the day!

Who amongst those already in Oz moved for these reasons...and has it worked out for you? We would love to know.

Steve & Lynn
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:20 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who left the UK to give the Kids a better life? And has it worked out?

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones

One of our reasons is the hope of giving our children a better lifestyle and improving their prospects in life - we know that whatever happens their chances of ever working in South Wales get slimmer by the day!

Who amongst those already in Oz moved for these reasons...and has it worked out for you? We would love to know.

Steve & Lynn
Bump !
Old Aug 6th 2005, 6:25 pm
Account Closed

eatstatic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who left the UK to give the Kids a better life? And has it worked out?

Steve & Lynn

This was discussed recently on this thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=316852
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eatstatic

Thanks.

I had looked for threads like this but missed this one.

Steve
Old Aug 6th 2005, 8:30 pm
wombat42

Originally Posted by eatstatic

Interesting link, Dazuk, Kong , Tony Blair, Eatstatic
The conclusion from it was that although professionals such as Lawyers and Accountants earn less in OZ because it is a smaller country and London is one of the commerce centers of the world, there are many other jobs where employees earn the same or more then in the Uk, such as in many trades.

Old Aug 6th 2005, 9:19 pm
wombat42

Steve & Lynn

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230697

Last edited by wombat42; Aug 6th 2005 at 9:22 pm.

Old Aug 6th 2005, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here with an 18yr old and 10yr old. They are so much happier and relaxed here...........especially the 18yr old. I certainly think we have made the right move.
Old Aug 7th 2005, 12:59 am
ABCDiamond

My 9 year old daughter loves it here. (She wants to go back to the UK one day, but only for a visit )
My 9 year old niece in UK would love to come here.

One of the things I really I like ( for her)
The fact that she can get to play out side so often, even in the summer we have plenty of shade areas for her to play in.

Old Aug 7th 2005, 1:08 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Steve & Lynn
Hi
We moved to Victoria just over a year ago with 3 kids (now 6, 4 and 2).
Some of the changes we have experienced might also have been available in the UK if we had moved to a rural area (we lived in London), but we consider that the children have a much better life over here.
IMO children here have a 'proper' childhood, akin to my own. They spend a lot more time outside, helped by the weather of course, and are generally less reliant on constant external stimulus - expensive outings, video games etc. They have more freedom; walking alone to school, cycling to the shops, exploring the local area etc. I have found most kids polite and respectful of adults and authority, and more caring towards smaller kids: if one of my kids gets into difficulty at a playground a teenager will often step in to help out before I get to them. Equally if someone else's child is throwing sand or hitting and I ask them to stop they usually comply, and you don't get any agressive parents coming and telling you not to interfere.
There are still jobs available for teenagers working in supermarkets etc, and I think this helps to make them more responsible.
There have been many debates on this forum about whether Oz or UK schools are better, but I prefer the Oz system where the early years are geared around social development, and there is less (to my mind) obsessing about the 3 Rs at the expense of other subject areas. That said, I don't have first hand experience of schooling.
Older Aussie kids seem to have a greater self confidence and self awareness than most I met in the UK. They seem less obsessed with possessions, or the lack of them, and have significantly less 'attitude'.
Families seem to do more together; going to the beach, cycling, bushwalking or whatever. Perhaps this is just more visible, as there is no need to be indoors for half the year
My children are too young for me to have given their working lives much consideration, so I can't comment on their long term prospects. We will become citizens as soon as we are able, and they will at least have the choice of Oz, UK and Europe when the time comes.
Regards, Kirsty
Old Aug 7th 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Location: caerphilly, south wales, avonsleigh, melbourne as of 30/03/05!!!!
carloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the roughcarloubateman is a jewel in the rough

Steve & Lynn
we moved here from south wales 4 months ago now, and i can honestly say my kids ( 11, 9, 3) have settled much better than i ever imagined! my 11 year old was devastated at the thought of leaving friends and family she cried for the last 4 days we were in the uk, and she is the 1 that has settled the qiuckest. all the kids at school want to be friends with her because she sounds different to them (the welsh accent does come in handy!) i cant believe how quickly she has picked up the aussie accent though!
we tend to do a lot more as a family now, we take the dog for a walk most evenings, back in wales you would get soaked through just thinking of going outside in the winter. we are really looking forward to summer mind you the nights get dark quite quickly at the moment, but i can see us doing a lot more family stuff when we have longer days!
so i can deffinately say that what we have experienced so far has been possitive for us and our family, but it is early days!
Old Aug 7th 2005, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

RReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud ofRReed has much to be proud of

Steve & Lynn
Definately worked out for us.

We are closer as a family because there is more opportunity/weather to do stuff together.

My 14 year old son has turned his life around since getting here. In the UK he was failing in school (despite being labelled 'gifted and talented'), and hated it. He spent all his time in his bedroom sleeping or playing on his playstation. Was heading for a serious 'drop out' - in his words. Here, he is a happy and positive kid. He is doing so well in school (and enjoys it), I get letters about what a fantastic, motivated and mature student he is. He is achieving his potential and is aiming for University. He still has not unpacked his Playstation! He often talks about how much happier he is here and says he never want to go back.

My 11 year old daughter took longer to settle. She didn't want to come and missed her friends and grandmas. But, 7 months down the line she has a new group of friends and a totally different lifestyle. She is really enjoying the outdoor stuff. Just little things like swimming club is easier here - outdoor pool, comes home with her 'togs' on and a towel wrapped around her. In the UK you have to get changed and dried in a cold changing room and head home with wet hair in the freezing cold.

For our children this has been worth all the hassle/money/upheaval involved in moving here.

Rachel
Old Aug 7th 2005, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Paylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nicePaylia is just really nice

Originally Posted by kirsty&al
Hi
We moved to Victoria just over a year ago with 3 kids (now 6, 4 and 2).
Some of the changes we have experienced might also have been available in the UK if we had moved to a rural area (we lived in London), but we consider that the children have a much better life over here.
IMO children here have a 'proper' childhood, akin to my own. They spend a lot more time outside, helped by the weather of course, and are generally less reliant on constant external stimulus - expensive outings, video games etc. They have more freedom; walking alone to school, cycling to the shops, exploring the local area etc. I have found most kids polite and respectful of adults and authority, and more caring towards smaller kids: if one of my kids gets into difficulty at a playground a teenager will often step in to help out before I get to them. Equally if someone else's child is throwing sand or hitting and I ask them to stop they usually comply, and you don't get any agressive parents coming and telling you not to interfere.
There are still jobs available for teenagers working in supermarkets etc, and I think this helps to make them more responsible.
There have been many debates on this forum about whether Oz or UK schools are better, but I prefer the Oz system where the early years are geared around social development, and there is less (to my mind) obsessing about the 3 Rs at the expense of other subject areas. That said, I don't have first hand experience of schooling.
Older Aussie kids seem to have a greater self confidence and self awareness than most I met in the UK. They seem less obsessed with possessions, or the lack of them, and have significantly less 'attitude'.
Families seem to do more together; going to the beach, cycling, bushwalking or whatever. Perhaps this is just more visible, as there is no need to be indoors for half the year
My children are too young for me to have given their working lives much consideration, so I can't comment on their long term prospects. We will become citizens as soon as we are able, and they will at least have the choice of Oz, UK and Europe when the time comes.
Regards, Kirsty

Great and sensible post - karma to you and yours
Old Aug 7th 2005, 11:48 am
Badge

With a kid on the way all I can say it is better as we couldn't have afforded to do it in the first place, on one income, and I didn't want to bring up a kid in a flat anyhow. (!)

badge

Old Aug 8th 2005, 7:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve & Lynn

Thanks to all of you who answered. You have given us food for thought and ideas on where to live.

Steve