Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who is the ideal emigrator

Who is the ideal emigrator

Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:39 am
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold
Default Who is the ideal emigrator

not even sure emigrator is a word!!!!

I keep reading on forums many opinions and reasons for people not to emigrate eg. those with comfortable lives should not give that up, those who have older children, those who have a big family support network, those with good jobs and those who don't have 50K behind them

we fall into the don't have 50K behind us category but none of the others apply.

We basically have always wanted to expereince living and working in another country, feel it will be a good experience for the kids, if we get citizenship it gives our kids choices for the future, and as we don't own a home, only really get by here in theUK and really can't see things getting much better for us anytime soon, then feel we have nothing to lose by giving it a go. NOt expecting to get there and suddenyl have money to burn and be able to buy a huge house, we know it will still be tight financially but are willing to try it out. We have no family support network as my parents are down south and my inlaws are overseas, we see very little of them anyway and they certainly don't contribute to childcare or anything.

I do worry about the lack of funds behind us, we will have enough to start up and I am a nurse so going over to a full time job and have a relocation package to help too and we will have PR visa from the start.

Not sure if you would call us an ideal family to emigrate but we are giving it a go anyway, but would be interested to hear other opinions on this subject
Old Jun 12th 2011, 10:44 am
Just Joined

MikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really nice
Default Re: Who is the ideal emigrator

Originally Posted by suzanne7575

I keep reading on forums many opinions and reasons for people not to emigrate eg. those with comfortable lives should not give that up, those who have older children, those who have a big family support network, those with good jobs and those who don't have 50K behind them

we fall into the don't have 50K behind us category but none of the others apply.

We basically have always wanted to expereince living and working in another country, feel it will be a good experience for the kids, if we get citizenship it gives our kids choices for the future, and as we don't own a home, only really get by here in theUK and really can't see things getting much better for us anytime soon, then feel we have nothing to lose by giving it a go. NOt expecting to get there and suddenyl have money to burn and be able to buy a huge house, we know it will still be tight financially but are willing to try it out. We have no family support network as my parents are down south and my inlaws are overseas, we see very little of them anyway and they certainly don't contribute to childcare or anything.

I do worry about the lack of funds behind us, we will have enough to start up and I am a nurse so going over to a full time job and have a relocation package to help too and we will have PR visa from the start.

Not sure if you would call us an ideal family to emigrate but we are giving it a go anyway, but would be interested to hear other opinions on this subject
Do it do it do it or you will always wonder. Nurse-no employment issues at all and after all, you cant do it when your dead !!!!
Old Jun 12th 2011, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP, just from that post I would say you are ideal....but then what would I know Good luck.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 1:15 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there is an ideal migrator. The only common denominator I can think of is a 'need' for a new experience. Age, money, marital status, children etc are all irrelevant in a way.

You want to give it a go and are able to give it a go then you give it a go.
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

jezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nicejezandem is just really nice

Go for it, give it a couple of years then think again. That's what we are doing. You don't need a great deal of cash to start off, we are taking about 15k and leaving the rest in uk for now. Like you say....great experience for the kids if nothing else. Best wishes
Old Jun 12th 2011, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

hurleygirlie is an unknown quantity at this point

everyone is different and have different circumstances. The fact that you have thought about it, done something about it, suggests that you should do it and give it a go. That is what we are doing. We don't want to think 'what if' or 'we wished we had' when it is too late or not possible.
Where you headed anyway?
at least you have a job set up and organised.
Good luck, go for it, and give it your best shot, that is all you can do
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:08 am
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Emigrants come from every conceivable walk of life and have a range of motives.

It's probably easier to say what may make it harder: looking at people I know and/or work with who are thinking of going back, the commonest factor seems to be missing family/social networks back in the UK. Those who had a pretty good set-up before coming out here can often struggle methinks.

Having said that, I've been here 4 and half years and still get horribly homesick, despite not having very good family ties when I left; though that has now changed. Nonetheless, I reckon I'm in for the long haul as there's enough here, including a new social network to keep me reasonably happy and family/friends can always come out and visit.

You may love it from the off or you may absolutely hate it. There's no way of really knowing until you try it, but don't let others tell you how you should feel about the place. It's a very personal experience IMHO.

For the record, I came over as a nurse to a full-time job too, plus relocation package and only 3K in my pocket, 1K of which went on the bond of my first apartment. If you have a job to go to, you really don't need a ton of money TBH.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I keep reading on forums many opinions
And there you have the main reason for not making decisions based on what you read on an internet forum. They really are like assholes etc
Old Jun 13th 2011, 11:47 am
Just Joined

MikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really niceMikeAlly is just really nice

Look, she said she is only interested in other people opinions I am sure she is sensible enough to take everything said on-board and make her own mind up.
My opinion is
A person who can deal with the below is ideal to emigrate so far!
It may be hard to leave family and good friends so if you have a family and friends whom you rely on their support in anyway then it might make things harder.
Don't think that all your friends and family will come out to visit and no matter how much you say ''hey friends, come over & stay with us, a cheap holiday for you all'' and as much as they promise to come out to see you, in reality, no matter how close you are they may never come out to see you and unless you go back to the UK you might never see them again-its just life!
That could come across as a negative take on things but it is just reality!
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:09 am
Forum Regular

roottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really niceroottoot1981 is just really nice

Originally Posted by MikeAlly
Look, she said she is only interested in other people opinions I am sure she is sensible enough to take everything said on-board and make her own mind up.
My opinion is
A person who can deal with the below is ideal to emigrate so far!
It may be hard to leave family and good friends so if you have a family and friends whom you rely on their support in anyway then it might make things harder.
Don't think that all your friends and family will come out to visit and no matter how much you say ''hey friends, come over & stay with us, a cheap holiday for you all'' and as much as they promise to come out to see you, in reality, no matter how close you are they may never come out to see you and unless you go back to the UK you might never see them again-its just life!
That could come across as a negative take on things but it is just reality!
Very true, Also you only live once its better to regret things you have done than things you havent, Thats what we said also if you are just getting by in the UK you may aswel just get by over in OZ, Except there will be new experiences, New People and sun lots of sun all the best in what ever you choose.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:36 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Do it do it do it or you will always wonder. !!!!
Originally Posted by roottoot1981
Also you only live once its better to regret things you have done than things you havent..
See these comments a lot. Personally I think they're rubbish sentiments.
I could have migrated to Australia decades before I actually did, chose not to, and never gave it another moments thought.
As for "better to regret things you have done", I wonder if those who end up returning, financially and possibly emotionally in bits really believe that?.

If you want to come, then come, but don't do it for those reasons.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I've been reading BE since 2003 and whilst everyone is different you do recognize traits and patterns in people which are really easy to flag - whether or not it gets triggered is something else..it ain't rocket science either. There have been people who claim to spot these people. Maybe they run a book!

In a nutshell I can't vouch for the many thousands of successful migrants but the most successful seem to have high levels of energy, resources, and just do a lot. This sometimes shows in their interests and their work. They are definitely not average.

This sometimes translates into luck - or just levels of complete and utter jamminess....buzzy : I am not looking at you!

its better to regret things you have done than things you haven't
Nice old saying - I will add a caveat - the things you do might not be regrettable but what you do can get you in what seemed at the time deep sh$$.

Have to agree with Uranus - some sentiments are feckless and almost irresponsible for some.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think the key is independence, in that I think it is harder for people with a very close family network to make the move.

I agree that the "do it or you'll always wonder" and "better to regret the things you do" are tired old cliches and not pearls of wisdom.

I was offered a transfer 12 years ago, decided against it and was not wondering about it at all, I happily got on with my life in UK.

Isn't the word "migrant"?
Old Jun 14th 2011, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Stop picking on peoples comments and calling people assholes.
Whats the deal with the bitterness.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 11:00 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Stop picking on peoples comments and calling people assholes.
Whats the deal with the bitterness.
If you post, then expect a response. Nobody picked on you.
Nobody got called an asshole.
What bitterness?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.