Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who helps with the kids when you're ill?!

who helps with the kids when you're ill?!

Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:32 am
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future
Red face who helps with the kids when you're ill?!

Hi All,

Just sat at home recovering from a nasty bout of food poisoning - as usual my parents have been fab looking after our daughter when I was incapacited and OH was working - gives you some second thoughts doesn't it?

How easy have people found it to deal with circumstances like this in Oz when the family aren't there?

Cheers,

Jane

xx
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:40 am
Perth......at last!

sponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of lightsponge is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: who helps with the kids when you're ill?!

Originally Posted by TheHallidays
Hi All,

Just sat at home recovering from a nasty bout of food poisoning - as usual my parents have been fab looking after our daughter when I was incapacited and OH was working - gives you some second thoughts doesn't it?

How easy have people found it to deal with circumstances like this in Oz when the family aren't there?

Cheers,

Jane

xx
Hi Jane
I've been thinking of that too.
Our friends out there have no family there. They have said that their friends become their family and help with the kids.
Thats just some of the things that I am really going to miss.
Sponge

P.S. are you better now?
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:40 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

New friends are a great help! We didn't know a soul when we came here but have made a number of friends I could call if I needed help. Failing that hubby has to pull his finger out!

Tracey
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:47 am
Loving Perth!

TheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant futureTheHallidays has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by sponge
Hi Jane
I've been thinking of that too.
Our friends out there have no family there. They have said that their friends become their family and help with the kids.
Thats just some of the things that I am really going to miss.
Sponge

P.S. are you better now?
I'm nearly better now thanks - back to work next week I think. I guess I know you would find a way, it just seems a bit daunting! I guess if they weren't there when my daughter was on school hols, she'd have just had to entertain herself! She's just a bit rubbish at that sometimes!

If she was at school I'd have probably had to frame myself a bit sooner!

xx
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:51 am
Loving Perth!

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
New friends are a great help! We didn't know a soul when we came here but have made a number of friends I could call if I needed help. Failing that hubby has to pull his finger out!

Tracey
Thats good to know - we're not likely to know anyone either (or no-one near enough to help) - when you're used to just knowing people you've always known, it's difficult to imagine knowing NO-ONE and starting from there!

I think I'm just a bit freaked out this week. Hubby could have stayed off or worked from home if need be, but my mind has just started to work overtime (oh no what if he's just started a new job etc. etc.!)

Maybe when I'm back at work next week (less time to worry about these things!) I'll be OK again...

Thanks,

xx
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you feel better soon.

We've had to rely on friends while we've been living in the UK. We recently set up a babysitting circle with tokens. It is a good way to do it so then nobody feels like they are sponging off another person too much.

Hi All,

Cheers,

Jane

xx

Last edited by Luma; Jun 8th 2006 at 12:10 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 11:57 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Cheers,

Jane

xx
You get through it.

I had gastric flu, my wife a broken arm. my 2 year old daughter a bad case of the terrible two's.

Suggest you make friends real fast and be really nice to your neighbours.

Kiwi
Old Jun 8th 2006, 12:45 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

We have nada (no-one) but each other no-one to depend on.

Worrying thing is im asthmatic,maybe this worry has kept symptoms at bay-who knows Hubby can get away from work if need be but its worrying,i keep going regardless of how ill i feel,i have kids 2 of which are asthmatic & a son who has adhd, 14 & driving me bonkers!!
Maybe its routine??

Back in the UK we really only had hubbys parents to depend on (even then it was a case of only when neccesary) .......but even they turned funny when we said we were emigrating,even though they done it when they were young & stuck their kids in boarding school!)

End of day, 11/2 years in & we are still stuck on our tod,no-one really i can phone to take my kids if im 'really' ill.

Hubby makes friends really easy whereas im more reserved,just the way it goes i suppose!

Donna.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:23 pm
PJA
Forum Regular

PJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant futurePJA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by madsad
We have nada (no-one) but each other no-one to
depend on.

Worrying thing is im asthmatic,maybe this worry has kept symptoms at bay-who knows Hubby can get away from work if need be but its worrying,i keep going regardless of how ill i feel,i have kids 2 of which are asthmatic & a son who has adhd, 14 & driving me bonkers!!
Maybe its routine??

Back in the UK we really only had hubbys parents to depend on (even then it was a case of only when neccesary) .......but even they turned funny when we said we were emigrating,even though they done it when they were young & stuck their kids in boarding school!)

End of day, 11/2 years in & we are still stuck on our tod,no-one really i can phone to take my kids if im 'really' ill.

Hubby makes friends really easy whereas im more reserved,just the way it goes i suppose!

Donna.
Donna

I felt really sad reading that - you've been so helpful emailing me about North Lakes, don't worry when I'm over in November for good I'll have the kids when you're ill!

I have my parents here 5 mins down the road and they have always maintained they have their own life now so they never babysit or anything so I don't feel I have anything to miss.

I fully appreciate they've had their kids and now it's their time to enjoy life and I'll probably feel the same when mine are off my hands!!

Jane
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:32 pm

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PJA
Donna

I felt really sad reading that - you've been so helpful emailing me about North Lakes, don't worry when I'm over in November for good I'll have the kids when you're ill!

I have my parents here 5 mins down the road and they have always maintained they have their own life now so they never babysit or anything so I don't feel I have anything to miss.

I fully appreciate they've had their kids and now it's their time to enjoy life and I'll probably feel the same when mine are off my hands!!

Jane
Ah thanks Jane thats really nice of you! & we too will do the same in return!

Thanks,
Donna.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Some - thought not all - employers are willing to help out too when tis the kids who are ill. I work for a Qld govt dept, and its quite common to see children at work with their parents because they are off school sick. Not infectious stuff or anything, but sprained ankles and that kind of thing. Depends on the individual manager, but some even let the parents bring kids in when there are pupil-free teacher training days etc.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 1:55 pm

Margaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud ofMargaret2 has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Cheers,

Jane

xx
Hello Jane . Hope your feeling better

We don't and never have had family here to help, our kids are 14 and 7. A few months ago both my hubby and i fell ill (only for a couple of days though), and 14 year old was dumped with it all, bless she coped fine

Anyway, as we have never really had help, yes friends do help us at times, but i don't like imposing too much,as they have their own problems and kids, but when you are in this position you become pretty efficient at finding out who is a family friendly employer , kids clubs, and private nurseries, needs must and all that. Also colleagues that i work beside were always sympathetic to me, as the know we had no family round about and offered their daughters services when my kids were younger, and i must admit the best baby sitter we have ever had was a brill 16 year old and the kids just loved her. , and still do
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice

Hi All,

Cheers,

Jane

xx
I have some great friends but they live about 40 mins from me.I have started to wonder who would really help if anything serious happened.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 2:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

My Mum used to be my babysitter, for work, going out, just so I could go shopping etc. When she died there was no-one else to do it so I just coped.
Old Jun 8th 2006, 3:28 pm
Im a woomaaan

gobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond reputegobbyjock has a reputation beyond repute

We are not in Australia yet so I can only speak from my experience of being in Hants with no family around me. You cope because you are a woman and you have to - somehow we always manage it - a couple of years ago hubby was away on a 6 month trip and I had to into hospital for an op - it was my friends who rallied round and looked after my daughter overnight without them I`d have been stuffed. I really envy those of you who are lucky enough to live close to family - appreciate them while you can (in fact when we move to Oz it will be the first time in 8 years that we will have family nearby).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.