Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who is heading for geelong ???

Who is heading for geelong ???

Old Apr 14th 2006, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

coffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud ofcoffeebean has much to be proud of
Wink Who is heading for geelong ???

who is heading for geelong?
when you going?
are you already there ?????
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:49 am
Just Joined

alwyck is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who is heading for geelong ???

Originally Posted by coffeebean
when you going?
Hi Coffee bean
I am heading out to geelong on a sir visa in september..
plan on living in norlane or corio...can anyone actually say anything about those two suburbs..? they are cheap..ok to bring a family there?
what part of geelong are you considering?
Geelong looks like a good bet for those of us on sir visa ...
Anyone got any comments on geelong thanks!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 6:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

There are quite a few from Geelong on the Britvics site, I think they have regular meet ups.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 8:50 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

As a resident of Geelong I encourage you to think again about living in Norlane or Corio ...

Do a search on this forum for other discussions about Geelong.

Best regards.

Originally Posted by alwyck
Hi Coffee bean
I am heading out to geelong on a sir visa in september..
plan on living in norlane or corio...can anyone actually say anything about those two suburbs..? they are cheap..ok to bring a family there?
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:52 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coffeebean
when you going?
We drive through Geelong on our way to visit friends in Colac and Lorne.
Old Apr 14th 2006, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thebears
We drive through Geelong on our way to visit friends in Colac and Lorne.
So what exactly is the problem with Norlane and Corio?
I am now considering the suburbs of Highton or Belmont as better though more expensive alternatives...just wondering whats so bad about those northern suburbs..crime? pollution? council estates?
What are the best cheapish suburbs to take a family to in Geelong?
Cheers all!
Old Apr 14th 2006, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

So what exactly is the problem with Norlane and Corio?
I am now considering the suburbs of Highton or Belmont as better though more expensive alternatives...just wondering whats so bad about those northern suburbs..crime? pollution? council estates?
What are the best cheapish suburbs to take a family to in Geelong?
Cheers all!
hello
We live in Anglesea and have been told that, as a rule of thumb, to stay south of the river. Dont know much about the suburbs though as we have never considered living in a town. We left a small village in Bucks for something of a similar size down under [apart from Jan!!]

Richard
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Having worked in Geelong for 3 years, these would be my absolute last choices!
Corio is dominated by a huge oil refinery (my employer) so is very industrialised. There is also a fertiliser plant, salt extracting place, wood chipping facility etc.
Norlane- positives? It is the cheapest place to buy in Geelong. Negatives: could go on for pages! It looks -to me -like prefab houses (remember those?)and attracts people who cannot afford to live elsewhere. Generally area is very scruffy and run down, and - from my perception of lunchtime shopping at ' Corio Village' has more than its far share of people with chemical dependancy! The Village is best avoided on Thursdays as this is 'pension' day (dole day!)
People with families do seem to prefer Bell Post/Bell Post Hill/ Highton/ Newtown/ Geelong West/Belmont.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 1:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Having worked in Geelong for 3 years, these would be my absolute last choices!
Corio is dominated by a huge oil refinery (my employer) so is very industrialised. There is also a fertiliser plant, salt extracting place, wood chipping facility etc.
Norlane- positives? It is the cheapest place to buy in Geelong. Negatives: could go on for pages! It looks -to me -like prefab houses (remember those?)and attracts people who cannot afford to live elsewhere. Generally area is very scruffy and run down, and - from my perception of lunchtime shopping at ' Corio Village' has more than its far share of people with chemical dependancy! The Village is best avoided on Thursdays as this is 'pension' day (dole day!)
People with families do seem to prefer Bell Post/Bell Post Hill/ Highton/ Newtown/ Geelong West/Belmont.

I could well be wrong, these provincial towns have a reputation for having a extreme drug culture amongst teenagers. The whole of Geelong is tainted with a druggie brush. Reasons being less to do at night, Kids from out of town and rural areas coming in for kicks etc.

Besides that Geelong on the Surface would seem to be a great place to live.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 2:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
I could well be wrong, these provincial towns have a reputation for having a extreme drug culture amongst teenagers. The whole of Geelong is tainted with a druggie brush. Reasons being less to do at night, Kids from out of town and rural areas coming in for kicks etc.

Geelong is not a bad place to live- but I was more specifically referring to Norlane and Corio. These are about 10kms out of Geelong city centre and not the most salubrious of locations.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
Geelong is not a bad place to live- but I was more specifically referring to Norlane and Corio. These are about 10kms out of Geelong city centre and not the most salubrious of locations.
The other side of Geelong isn't exactly desirable either..... Along the Port Arlington Road.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:51 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like its a few years since you spent any time in this part of the world. The stories I hear about some areas of Melbourne would give me more concerns about my children's welfare after nightfall than my experiences of Geelong.

Best regards.

Old Apr 15th 2006, 8:54 am
Migration Agent

What suburbs are you referring to? Newcomb and Leopold? If so, I think you do them a disservice.

Best regards.

The other side of Geelong isn't exactly desirable either..... Along the Port Arlington Road.
Old Apr 15th 2006, 11:14 am
Just Joined

the mob is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Alan Collett
What suburbs are you referring to? Newcomb and Leopold? If so, I think you do them a disservice.

Best regards.
we live in Highton just outside Geelong City and can not fault the people,the schools and everything else.
We have a network of Expats and us girls do coffee and cake every Monday and nights out on the town and some of the o/h's get together and play golf.
Very happy here and our neighbours keep telling us this is the place to be!

The mob
Old Apr 15th 2006, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for very useful info on Norlane and Corio...
Have seen some decent rent prices in East Geelong and Newcomb...ok suburbs?
As am arriving with
No References and no job..but will have bank account with funds...
what is best fastest way to get a rental agreement for new migrants in thsi situ?
Obviuosly will need to stay in temp accomadation..where is the cheapest place in geelong for a two week stay please?
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.