Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who hasn't found a job yet?

Who hasn't found a job yet?

Old Dec 29th 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Who hasn't found a job yet?

Has the job market really improved as they say on newspapers? How long since you started your job search? What sector and state are you in?

Techies, tradies, accountants, bankers and all...... please share your experiences so we all can have a better perspective on the current job market. Thanks!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Who hasn't found a job yet?

Queensland, CV sent, 2 interviews and offers within a week, accepted contract position. PM role.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

punoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to allpunoo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Queensland, CV sent, 2 interviews and offers within a week, accepted contract position. PM role.
Congrats!!!! Sounds great!!
Old Dec 29th 2009, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

james1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant futurejames1972 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Yep congrats, I hope to get to Queensland. Did you have to adapt your CV much? Was it an IT PM role?

Good luck in your new role.
Old Dec 29th 2009, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Amanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud ofAmanda&Phil has much to be proud of

I work in Finance in uk, applied for a role within insurance, tel interview face to face interview accepted for role in 3 weeks full time and perminant. Oh and I am in Perth, however I did apply for about 20 jobs and this is the one that replied and I got it, law of averages maybes

A x
Old Dec 29th 2009, 11:34 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Who hasn't found a job yet?

Originally Posted by caliburn
Has the job market really improved as they say on newspapers? How long since you started your job search? What sector and state are you in?

Techies, tradies, accountants, bankers and all...... please share your experiences so we all can have a better perspective on the current job market. Thanks!
I'm in marketing, account management and business development.

Arrived halfway through October and found a job four weeks later through connections with friends and acquaintances. It pays 65% more than the job I had in the UK.

Old Dec 30th 2009, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I'm in marketing, account management and business development.

Arrived halfway through October and found a job four weeks later through connections with friends and acquaintances. It pays 65% more than the job I had in the UK.

Wow, this is amazing! Well done mate. People usually take a hair-cut in Oz, but you seem to be doing quite well.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

We arrived in Brisbane mid august 2009.I had to get my UK (Tower crane operator and Dogman)licenses changed to Australian licenses and because they are classed as high risk, assessments were required.The trainer recognised my prior experience so i only needed to do the written and practical assessments.By mid oct i had my Australian licenses but couldn't find any work.
I have filled out countless application forms and rung companies on a daily basis but still no work.i keep getting told "its quiet time of year or jobs been put back a few months"
so fingers crossed for the new year to bring a wave of construction jobs my way preferably a seat in the sky with air con.
Its very easy to get downbeat but i look at it as a bonus,ive a 10month old daughter which ive had the pleasure of spending so much time with over the last 4/5months.I know when i start work the hours are long and its 6 days a week just like it used to be in the UK before the bankers took the economy to hell in a handcart.

Last edited by cornishexpat; Jan 2nd 2010 at 6:31 am.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:17 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornishexpat
We arrived here mid august 2009..
Where's "here"?
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

I apologise,
i have now edited my post to give a geographical location.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I apologise,
i have now edited my post to give a geographical location.
Ah, I don't know much about Brisbane's construction industry, but Perth is the city of cranes. I'll take a picture on Monday on my way into work.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Hi Dorothy,
I think in the construction game its just a matter of getting your foot in the door or bum on the seat in my case.
I even spoke to a company in Perth,they are based in Perth but bought out a company this side of Oz.
I have a weeks holiday cover starting monday 5th jan then i am hoping for full time start mid jan.This is when a company im fairly confident about a start with has a few cranes going up here in Queensland.
Hope that makes sense.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:03 am
Still alive

Hi Dorothy,
I think in the construction game its just a matter of getting your foot in the door or bum on the seat in my case.
I even spoke to a company in Perth,they are based in Perth but bought out a company this side of Oz.
I have a weeks holiday cover starting monday 5th jan then i am hoping for full time start mid jan.This is when a company im fairly confident about a start with has a few cranes going up here in Queensland.
Hope that makes sense.
Ok, serious question here. If you're up in a crane 30 stories up where do you go for lunch? And what about bathroom breaks? Do you have to come all the way down to pee? (I have a lot of time on my hands as you can see)
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

If your lucky and there maybe a relief driver on site so you do 3 or 4 hours at a time.But i have nearly always been the only driver on site,so you climb with your bag(containing your lunch box and an empty bottle and your flask).the empty bottle is for toilet breaks as you maybe up there up to 10-14 hours.my last site in london i climbed at 715am and was never on the ground before 7pm.if your lucky to get a lunch break you turn up the radio and recline the seat and relax.
Old Jan 2nd 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

If your lucky and there maybe a relief driver on site so you do 3 or 4 hours at a time.But i have nearly always been the only driver on site,so you climb with your bag(containing your lunch box and an empty bottle and your flask).the empty bottle is for toilet breaks as you maybe up there up to 10-14 hours.my last site in london i climbed at 715am and was never on the ground before 7pm.if your lucky to get a lunch break you turn up the radio and recline the seat and relax.
Is change of profession a possibility at all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.