Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who hasn't found a job yet?

Who hasn't found a job yet?

Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of
Default Re: Who hasn't found a job yet?

I was getting knock-backs from accounting agencies (on the AP level!) as they would take one look at my CV that I had sent in via email and were then rejecting it out of hand. I finally decided to phone a few agencies, got through to one lady and did the hard sell. I have an interview with her tomorrow (yay!). My next tack is to actually visit all the offices and stay until I have spoken to someone.

I have a theory that they get so many applications via email and some lowly clerk has the job of seeing if they meet a checklist and if they don't they just reject them out of hand. I worked in a company where the 17-year old receptionist was given the job of weeding out potential candidates. I watched her do this one day - she was barely looking at the CVs!

Last edited by iolande; Jan 13th 2010 at 11:23 pm. Reason: stupid grammatical errors
Old Jan 13th 2010, 11:57 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cornishexpat
If your lucky and there maybe a relief driver on site so you do 3 or 4 hours at a time.But i have nearly always been the only driver on site,so you climb with your bag(containing your lunch box and an empty bottle and your flask).the empty bottle is for toilet breaks as you maybe up there up to 10-14 hours.my last site in london i climbed at 715am and was never on the ground before 7pm.if your lucky to get a lunch break you turn up the radio and recline the seat and relax.
Imagine if you need to open your bowels, I sometimes do at work and cant imagine being able to hold that in for 10 hours or more, I would explode a shit bomb.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 12:09 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Imagine if you need to open your bowels, I sometimes do at work and cant imagine being able to hold that in for 10 hours or more, I would explode a shit bomb.
I guess that if it was after lunch he'd have an empty lunchbox?

I knew there was a reason why I shouldn't read this site just before eating
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

RobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the roughRobertC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Dreamy
I guess that if it was after lunch he'd have an empty lunchbox?

I knew there was a reason why I shouldn't read this site just before eating
If you ever walk past a building site and hear a 'whuump' sound near the crane you can have a good guess about what it was, still, its another good reason that you have to wear a hard had on a building site even away from the building work
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

iolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud ofiolande has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
Hmm , , , I wasn't gonna ask but I did wonder , , ,
Old Jan 14th 2010, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Donna79 will become famous soon enoughDonna79 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by caliburn
Has the job market really improved as they say on newspapers? How long since you started your job search? What sector and state are you in?

Techies, tradies, accountants, bankers and all...... please share your experiences so we all can have a better perspective on the current job market. Thanks!
Hi,
I have been in Oz for almost 6 months now, and still have not found employment. I live in NSW, in a western suburb of Sydney. I am lucky that my partner earns enough to keep us ticking over, but if I had a job a job we could do so much more, not to mention end the boredom! I have applied for 15 jobs now, and have not had as much as one interview! I have qualifications in forensic science but no one is interested because I don't have experience working in this field. I have even emailed the places advertising the forensic jobs (not that there are many), and asked for some work experience - with no joy. Now, I am just trying to get anything I can, and have applied for loads of lab tech jobs, so will just have to wait and see if I get any replies back, but it is really frustrating.

Donna.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 6:24 am
BE Forum Addict

helloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant futurehelloshivahere has a brilliant future

Seems miexed resposnse to this thread. Almost 50-60% are success stories. I hope mutiple/various approach is needed to hunt the first job

* Good netwoking
* OZ standard resume/Covering letter/ customised CV for each applicantion /Skill matching Critieria etc..

* Approach agencies/companies Directly instead of online applications

* Updating the qualifications/certifications for oz requirment

I am moving to Perth in March 10. started hearing lot of success stories. All the best for every one
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by helloshivahere
Seems miexed resposnse to this thread. Almost 50-60% are success stories. I hope mutiple/various approach is needed to hunt the first job

* Good netwoking
* OZ standard resume/Covering letter/ customised CV for each applicantion /Skill matching Critieria etc..

* Approach agencies/companies Directly instead of online applications

* Updating the qualifications/certifications for oz requirment

I am moving to Perth in March 10. started hearing lot of success stories. All the best for every one
Thanks mate, you've summed it up well.
Old Jan 15th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Hi,
I was wondering how many tradesmen who's looking for work go straight to building sites and have a craic on with the site manager to get a job. Tell me if you think i'm stupid, but me personally, i as a bricky would drive to every site possible to say i'd work a few days for nothing and if you didn't like what you seen, don't give me a start, but if you did, when do i start ?
I guess there'll be those who'll not entertain this through insurance reasons, but i bet there'll be those who will do it. At least they can try before they buy sort me thing.
Any thoughts. ?
Old Jan 15th 2010, 10:23 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pazza
Hi,
I was wondering how many tradesmen who's looking for work go straight to building sites and have a craic on with the site manager to get a job. Tell me if you think i'm stupid, but me personally, i as a bricky would drive to every site possible to say i'd work a few days for nothing and if you didn't like what you seen, don't give me a start, but if you did, when do i start ?
I guess there'll be those who'll not entertain this through insurance reasons, but i bet there'll be those who will do it. At least they can try before they buy sort me thing.
Any thoughts. ?
Not sure where you're thinking of doing this, but at the sites around here they won't even talk to you unless you've got your blue card. If you're going to be going around to sites talking to brickies I would recommend you get your ABN and a blue card first.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Not sure where you're thinking of doing this, but at the sites around here they won't even talk to you unless you've got your blue card. If you're going to be going around to sites talking to brickies I would recommend you get your ABN and a blue card first.
Hi Dorothy,
I would make sure i had whatever paperwork in place, or health & safety cards, etc, to enable me to work immediately. I was just wondering if anyone knew of tradies who went down this avenue.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

im not sure but i believe you have to be in the country to do your white/blue card because you have to produce id such as driving license or passport.Also for your trade you may have your previous experience recognised,its called recognition of prior learning or RPL with that you only need to do an assessment not the full course but it still costs.
Dont expect the training centres to run courses for your licenses every week,they may only do one a month or 1 a fortnight.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Ok, thanks alot.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

cornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the roughcornishexpat is a jewel in the rough

If your coming to queensland have a look at the construction skills website.

www.cstc.org.au

If the info is not on the website then email them.
Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Anyone had trouble with finding work in Electrical Engineering?
Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.