British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Who has had problems taking bikes/bicycles (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/who-has-had-problems-taking-bikes-bicycles-377239/)

Luma Jun 3rd 2006 11:46 am

Who has had problems taking bikes/bicycles

Who has had problems taking bikes/bicycles/tricycles into Australia?

Have they been passed through customs OK?

Little Miss Sunshine Jun 3rd 2006 11:59 am

Re: Who has had problems taking bikes/bicycles

Originally Posted by Luma

Hi, my family took 5 bikes 2 years ago and they were sprayed by the shipping company prior to being packaged. The only problem we had was that customs told us that they needed to spray them again and we had to pay. When they arrived we could see that they hadnt even unwrapped the bikes, so basically it is a money making scam, but you cant refuse to pay or they wont release the bikes to you. Cant remember what we had to pay but I dont recall it being too much. Hope that helps.

Mrs Jackaroo Jun 3rd 2006 12:14 pm

We have just brought 3 bikes through and no problems whatsoever! :)

Madhouse! Jun 3rd 2006 12:41 pm

As long as there clean you shouldnt have any problems at all. :)

moneypenny20 Jun 3rd 2006 1:19 pm

We brought four over, well cleaned beforehand, not opened by customs, no problem oh apart from the fact the day we unpacked my 11 year old's bike, she got on it and cycled up and down our hill until she was going down and lost control and left the majority of her skin on the road :eek: - bike needs some repairs :rolleyes: She's now mended :D

Luma Jun 3rd 2006 3:59 pm

Poor thing - that must have been sore!

Originally Posted by moneypen20
We brought four over, well cleaned beforehand, not opened by customs, no problem oh apart from the fact the day we unpacked my 11 year old's bike, she got on it and cycled up and down our hill until she was going down and lost control and left the majority of her skin on the road :eek: - bike needs some repairs :rolleyes: She's now mended :D

h2oskineil Jun 4th 2006 12:48 am

To clean or bikes, I put each bike upside down and with a wire brush, scrubbed every sign of dirt from between the tyre tread. Then spayed the tyres with 'Tyre Black' so they looked like new.

The reality was that when the container was emptied at Freemantle, the only item that AQIS were interested in was a child's scooter, which they wanted to know was electric or push along. Nothing looked like it had been opened by AQIS, though had we not bothered to clean everything, you can guarantee that's where they would have looked.

While on the subject of cleaning, we bought our petrol lawn mower, don't know if your bringing one? That has to be spotless, with not a single blade of grass. I re-painted the underside or ours and used 'Back to Black' tyre shine on the grass box.
Hope this helps

Neil.

moneypenny20 Jun 4th 2006 1:55 am

The nurses at the hospital were quite impressed, started at her left ankle and went all over her finding new grazes - ended up with about 12 large dressings and three they found too difficult to cover - looked like a mummy but wouldn't let me take any photos :( :D

Lindsay Clan Jun 4th 2006 5:30 am

We brought our 4 bikes over with us and just gave them a really good clean. Cleaned them normally with a bucket and sponge, then power washed them, disinfected them with Virkon-S and they got through fine. We also did this to all the scooters, roller skates, dolls pram wheels, garden equipment, shoes etc and didn't get picked up for anything.

Lorraine

Luma Jun 4th 2006 5:53 am

Where do you buy Virkon-S?

Originally Posted by Lindsay Clan
We brought our 4 bikes over with us and just gave them a really good clean. Cleaned them normally with a bucket and sponge, then power washed them, disinfected them with Virkon-S and they got through fine. We also did this to all the scooters, roller skates, dolls pram wheels, garden equipment, shoes etc and didn't get picked up for anything.

Lorraine

Luma Jun 4th 2006 5:54 am

:) Thanks yet again Neil.
I'm guessing one gets "Tyre Black" at the bike shops?

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
To clean or bikes, I put each bike upside down and with a wire brush, scrubbed every sign of dirt from between the tyre tread. Then spayed the tyres with 'Tyre Black' so they looked like new.

The reality was that when the container was emptied at Freemantle, the only item that AQIS were interested in was a child's scooter, which they wanted to know was electric or push along. Nothing looked like it had been opened by AQIS, though had we not bothered to clean everything, you can guarantee that's where they would have looked.

While on the subject of cleaning, we bought our petrol lawn mower, don't know if your bringing one? That has to be spotless, with not a single blade of grass. I re-painted the underside or ours and used 'Back to Black' tyre shine on the grass box.
Hope this helps

Neil.

stacey and jordan Jun 4th 2006 5:57 am

Thankyou Luma just thinking the same. We've all got bikes and wish to take them. All i know is i better start cleaning the outside toys/ garden furniture soon as it's going to take forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stacey x

Luma Jun 4th 2006 6:04 am

OK - I've done a search on the internet. You can get it in 50g sachet. How much stuff can I clean with that amount?

moneypenny20 Jun 4th 2006 8:16 am

Animal feed suppliers, Horse stuff shops all sell it. We didn't use any in the end, didn't use Jeyes either, just pressure washed, dried and wiped with WD40.

Lindsay Clan Jun 4th 2006 9:13 am

We purchased ours from a horse supplier shop. One sachet made up about 4 litres of the stuff and then we put it into a spray bottle to coat everything with. Once made up it lasts for about a week from what I can remember, so when you do all your cleaning try and do it all within a weekend or something. We printed out sticky labels saying that the items had been washed, pressure washed and disinfected with Virkon-S and gave the batch number and expiry date of it and attached one to everything that we did with it all. Good luck.

Lorraine