Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who is going to Sydney

Who is going to Sydney

Old Jan 14th 2006, 5:07 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who is going to Sydney

Originally Posted by Jellyface
We are aiming to find somewhere in the Eastern Suburbs too - Bondi, Bronte, Randwick or similar (though someone joked that these areas are a bit of a "Brit Expat Ghetto"...not sure about that.

Also looking at Surry Hills - central, possibly a bit dodgy in places but seems really affordable - were thinking in terms of $350-$450/week in rent for a 2-bed appartment.

Anyway, just trying to book my flight now for early March....

I tried to PM you with a good option in your price range, but you dont seem to have pms enabled.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

scotland is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jellyface
We are aiming to find somewhere in the Eastern Suburbs too - Bondi, Bronte, Randwick or similar (though someone joked that these areas are a bit of a "Brit Expat Ghetto"...not sure about that.

Also looking at Surry Hills - central, possibly a bit dodgy in places but seems really affordable - were thinking in terms of $350-$450/week in rent for a 2-bed appartment.

Anyway, just trying to book my flight now for early March....
"Brit Expat Ghetto"... untrue. Lots of Aussie's and of course some British, nothing wrong with that!!! But no Ghetto it is a beautiful spot.
Easy get an apartment for your price range. In a nice spot.
Surrey hills is busy and can be dodgy. Check out Maroubra. 20mins to city, good public transport, easy access by car to west and North with eastern distributer and M5, beach, great shopping centre's and nice quiet casual area. Mostly family's.
Cheaper rent than Bondi, Bronte, Randwick .
I love it here and when I arrived said to myself one day I will live there. It was my preferred suburb. Been here 7yrs and it gets better and better.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:18 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotland
"Brit Expat Ghetto"... untrue. Lots of Aussie's and of course some British, nothing wrong with that!!! But no Ghetto it is a beautiful spot.
Easy get an apartment for your price range. In a nice spot.
Surrey hills is busy and can be dodgy. Check out Maroubra. 20mins to city, good public transport, easy access by car to west and North with eastern distributer and M5, beach, great shopping centre's and nice quiet casual area. Mostly family's.
Cheaper rent than Bondi, Bronte, Randwick .
I love it here and when I arrived said to myself one day I will live there. It was my preferred suburb. Been here 7yrs and it gets better and better.
Maroubra seems nice, but what about the noise from the airport? Is it supportable? or you just use with it?
Old Jan 14th 2006, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

debilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant futuredebilloyd has a brilliant future

It is so beautiful. Lovely harbour and lovely beaches. Lots of jobs and real estate has gone down in price over last 2 yrs. More affordable now!!
It will always be the place for good jobs and lots of jobs. They are crying out for staff in a lot of industries.
I live in the eastern suburbs, and love it!!! It is quiet but close to everything.

Out of interest how many people are emigrating here.

Maybe we could arrange a BBQ at Maroubra beach!!!
We arrived a week ago, also looking for a house on the North Shore. Would def be up for a BBQ.

Debs
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by skywalker
Maroubra seems nice, but what about the noise from the airport? Is it supportable? or you just use with it?
This is not one of the major flight paths.
Despite us being 10 mins from Airport.
I might hear one a day. A lot take off directly out to sea. The run way is built on th sea. Or out towards Rockdale, Newtown, marrickville, etc which are the noisy areas.
I used to live in Newtown and definately it is something you need to consider when buying/renting as they are every 5 mins. But I did get used to them.
But Maroubra not a problem. Quiet suburb.
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by debilloyd
We arrived a week ago, also looking for a house on the North Shore. Would def be up for a BBQ.

Debs
We will need to orgainise one. My parents are coming out soon for 6 weeks then I will organise.Say march/ April?? Sunday afternoon??
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:41 am
Gold Member

skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond reputeskywalker has a reputation beyond repute

This is not one of the major flight paths.
Despite us being 10 mins from Airport.
I might hear one a day. A lot take off directly out to sea. The run way is built on th sea. Or out towards Rockdale, Newtown, marrickville, etc which are the noisy areas.
I used to live in Newtown and definately it is something you need to consider when buying/renting as they are every 5 mins. But I did get used to them.
But Maroubra not a problem. Quiet suburb.
Thanks! It seems no worries then!
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We hope to be in Sydney but have put it off for another year so we can save, save, save! We will be going with a 2 and 6 year old and hope to live within a 1/2 hour commute of the CBD. Definitely up for some meets when we finally get there.

Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:30 pm
Just Joined

Mike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ginaf
Hi,

We hope to be in Sydney but have put it off for another year so we can save, save, save! We will be going with a 2 and 6 year old and hope to live within a 1/2 hour commute of the CBD. Definitely up for some meets when we finally get there.

Hi Folks,

We got our visas a couple of years ago but have now had enough of life in the UK - so left the job and scouting round the agencies for a job in Sydney...IT job market seems more bouyant than it was 3 years ago

It's all been a bit of a rush - so panic now setting in! Been looking at the real estate pages and houses look really good - again seem to be a better choice for the money than 3 years ago.

Anyone from around the Manchester area getting together as would love to meet some people looking to emigrate around March/April time.

We're a family with two girls 4&7

CHeers for now
Mike and Rosi
Old Jan 14th 2006, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

cammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the roughcammym is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Mike-and-Rosi
Hi Folks,

We got our visas a couple of years ago but have now had enough of life in the UK - so left the job and scouting round the agencies for a job in Sydney...IT job market seems more bouyant than it was 3 years ago

It's all been a bit of a rush - so panic now setting in! Been looking at the real estate pages and houses look really good - again seem to be a better choice for the money than 3 years ago.

Anyone from around the Manchester area getting together as would love to meet some people looking to emigrate around March/April time.

We're a family with two girls 4&7

CHeers for now
Mike and Rosi
Hi Mike and Rosi

We ae not from Manchester, and will not be able to meet in UK as we fly on 24th Jan, but I am sure our girls aged 5 and 7 would love to meet up when you are in Sydney. Where do you plan to settle?

Cam
Old Jan 14th 2006, 4:39 pm
Just Joined

Mike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the roughMike-and-Rosi is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cammym
Hi Mike and Rosi

We ae not from Manchester, and will not be able to meet in UK as we fly on 24th Jan, but I am sure our girls aged 5 and 7 would love to meet up when you are in Sydney. Where do you plan to settle?

Cam
Hi Cam,

Don't really know yet - all depends where the job is. Plan to rent for 6-12 months anyway until we've had time to be there, know the areas, meet the schools and can then make a decision on where we want to go.

Keep in touch and we'll definitely give you a call when we land
Cheers
Mike
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:49 pm
Cake addicted member

poppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura aboutpoppet has a spectacular aura about

We would love to jump on the plane to Sydney tonight but are stuck here in the UK until the house sells. Hopefully soon........
Old Jan 14th 2006, 10:02 pm
Just Joined

scottstevens is an unknown quantity at this point

Management positions, truck drivers, nurses, and many more.
A friend of mine works in Recruitment and there is a real shortage of people to fill all types of industries. The people who want to work already have a job.
Any specific industry you are interested in ???
Daily Telegraph or Sydney morning herald have most of the jobs advertised. Also local papers are worth a look.
You are arriving at a good time as over Xmas all quiet, starts to pick up end January where new positions will be advertised from then on.

HI

looking for work in the telecom sector installing the underground network
any help would be great
Old Jan 15th 2006, 12:05 am
Tired but Happy

poshrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud ofposhrice has much to be proud of

Hiya we are flying out to Sydney either the 29th Jan or 5th Feb depending when i can get flights we will be in Marsfield for 1st month the looking at the hills areas mainly Glenwood so if anyone fancies meeting up drop us a line there is me 2 year old Piglet(thomas) and Rob my Hubby.

Poshrice(sheila)
Old Jan 15th 2006, 12:50 am
Just Joined

Jellyface is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
I tried to PM you with a good option in your price range, but you dont seem to have pms enabled.
Thanks Linda - I think I have managed to get PMs set up correctly now!

Any advice greatly appreciated

Cheers
JF