British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   who to fly with!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/who-fly-551782/)

Julie9 Jul 28th 2008 5:19 pm

who to fly with!!!

We have had two similar in price quotes for flights one with qantas stopping at singapore on the way there and at Melbourne on the way back and one with cathay pacific stopping at hong kong both ways dont know which to choose any input would be great thanks
julie

alipally Jul 28th 2008 5:58 pm

Re: who to fly with!!!

Personally, I would fly Cathay Pacific. Not because of the recent problem with the Quantas flight, but because Cathay ranked higher on the which? guide to airlines in which Quantas didn't feature at all! Incidentally, Singapore were top of the tree.
Hope that helps a bit.

MANDS14 Jul 28th 2008 6:34 pm

We flew with Singapore Air in March, Heathrow to Sydney and they were fantastic. Singapore airport is really amazing, loads to do, immaculately clean, masses of space, gorgeous open air rooftop swimming pool, lovely hotel where you book rooms by 3 hourly stays great for a rest. They were the best priced too much less than BA or Quantas.

Centurion Jul 28th 2008 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Julie9 (Post 6619810)
We have had two similar in price quotes for flights one with qantas stopping at singapore on the way there and at Melbourne on the way back and one with cathay pacific stopping at hong kong both ways dont know which to choose any input would be great thanks
julie

Cathay Pacific. Simply because its an Asian airline with a much better rep. That said both of those carriers are not amongst the cheaper ones. I don't know where your final destination is or if you are leaving from LHR but there are cheaper fares than those two usually.

I'd personally go a star alliance airline such as Singapore, Thai etc but thats only because my frequent flyer card is Singapore Airlines and you have more chance of collecting more points over years with Star Alliance partners rather than One World which is BA, Qantas and Cathy primarily and the FF program is stingy with them too.

kurrikurri Aug 9th 2008 3:11 pm

Yes, I agree Singapore Airlines. We first flew to Australia in 2006 straight through from Manchester - Singapore (2 hour refueling) then onto Syndey. They were fantastic. So helpful. Our next flight again to Oz, we went again with Singapore Airlines 2007.

We had a longer stop over in Singapore airport - 6 hours - so we could go to the roof top swimming pool in the airport - fabulous. 30degress at 10pm! All you need to pack is your bathing costume. You get a towel, shampoo, shower gel, tea/coffee and a biscuit for about £4. There is an airbus which you jump on and takes about one minute to get there. Do it, it is really good.

Damson Aug 9th 2008 4:29 pm

I'm not ashamed of rattling out the same advice over and over again as I've made it a life mission and that is:

DON'T FLY BA - THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY CRAP.

I thank you!

Good luck with your flight booking

Racht70 Aug 9th 2008 9:03 pm

My mates just come back from a reccie inAus and she flew with Singapore, she said they was fantastic! it was like a holiday in itself! :thumbsup:

carmele Aug 10th 2008 10:42 am

We flew singapore, not because of any reputation or anything but just because of the departure times, dates and stopovers suited us.

They were great in my opinion (and I have worked for Easyjet and thought they were top dog..... well A to B and all that!) ....we had no probswhatsoever with 2 kids 3 and 5 on both flights lhr - singapore - sydney....(who'da thought!)

OH's mum has flown Eithad and my mum has flown Emirates, both recommended too!

Personal choice.... but my motto.... as long as it gets you there in one piece it's a good airline ;)

moneypenny20 Aug 10th 2008 12:09 pm

If it's really down to either Cathay or QANTAS I'd go Cathay every time. Never used them but they must be superior to QANTAS - can't be any worse.

Any other choice - Singapore.

nickyjohnt Aug 10th 2008 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by moneypen20 (Post 6665140)
If it's really down to either Cathay or QANTAS I'd go Cathay every time. Never used them but they must be superior to QANTAS - can't be any worse.

Any other choice - Singapore.

I've flown with both and never had any problems, I would never say that Cathay were superior on hearsay, Have also used Emirates and Singapore and imo Singapore have been the best so far. Will also give Malaysia a try soon and see how they score

John

UK-2-OZ Aug 11th 2008 8:22 am

Singapore Airlines were the best for us, however as you only have the choice of Quantas or Cathay it has to be Cathay.:thumbsup:

ausi dream Aug 15th 2008 9:12 pm

We have used singapore airlines every time and found them to be very very good.:)

CnG-OZ Bound Aug 18th 2008 11:59 am

Originally Posted by Julie9 (Post 6619810)
julie

We have flown British Airways, Cathay Pacific & Singapore Airlines.

DEFINITLY DO NOT FLY BA - They are Crap (with a big 'C') Never will we fly with them. I call them 'Pterydactyl Airways'.

Both Cathay & Singapore were excellent.
But by choice we would always fly Singapore Airlines now. They were awesome as was the new A380.

derab Aug 18th 2008 1:35 pm

+1 on all the above

Cathay beats Qantas hands down.

EvannTel Aug 18th 2008 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 6665207)
I've flown with both and never had any problems, I would never say that Cathay were superior on hearsay, Have also used Emirates and Singapore and imo Singapore have been the best so far. Will also give Malaysia a try soon and see how they score

John

You will not be dissappointed with MAS - one of my favorites