Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who else has had a good Melbourne cup day????

Who else has had a good Melbourne cup day????

Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Cookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud ofCookster has much to be proud of
Default Who else has had a good Melbourne cup day????

Soooooooooooo who else has had a good Melbourne cup day today??? Lost 20 dollars, but had a really good day eating lots of lovely food and drinking champagne all day!!!!!! Hic hic hic

Angela
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:45 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else has had a good Melbourne cup day????

Originally Posted by Cookster
Soooooooooooo who else has had a good Melbourne cup day today??? Lost 20 dollars, but had a really good day eating lots of lovely food and drinking champagne all day!!!!!! Hic hic hic

Angela
lol good onya .

Sorry I must be only person in Oz, who disagrees with horse racing... but sounds like was a good day !!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 7:57 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
lol good onya .

Sorry I must be only person in Oz, who disagrees with horse racing... but sounds like was a good day !!
There was a horse race as well?
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:22 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

I had a funny day, went to my friends with youngest child we had to dress up all posh and wear a hat/head piece!! She did all this food and lots of wine and the kids played and it was just a lovely day!!

Only down side was when we realised the time and ran to the TV to see the last bit of the race, had missed the build up and the start, but one of us had the winner so won a bit of money!!

Really enjoyed our day, only problem was school pick up time, all dressed up to the nines and a little worse for wear, did mean we got a few funny looks!!

But was good fun!!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:25 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Why? What else was there I was explaining that in the UK the main race of the year is run on a Saturday. I got very confused looks and they asked why on earth we would do that and how could we enjoy it properly on the weekend I love this place
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:51 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Its started when the 5 mins bell is rung at the bar. The race is on when the great unwashed in "General Admin" then run for the bar. Amazing how quickly a well dulled up bird can turn into a horse after an hour at the trough.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 8:52 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Why? I love this place
me too..

Don't get out much these days

such a quiet life

This was my first Melbourne Cup day outing at the Grand View in Cleveland and these guys know how to party

sat next to a lovely young couple, gorging on seafood and champagne.

strike the pose....
Attached Thumbnails Who else has had a good Melbourne cup day????-mcgrandview.jpg  
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:18 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I watched the race in Fed Square and then went for a walk round the Botanic Gardens.

Beautiful Day
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Its started when the 5 mins bell is rung at the bar. The race is on when the great unwashed in "General Admin" then run for the bar. Amazing how quickly a well dulled up bird can turn into a horse after an hour at the trough.
Ours started at 10:15 when our first office games started ... they were briefly interrupted when a humourless bint called for everyone to keep the noise down but continued pretty much unbated with various visits to the local pub to 'study the form'.

Some people even looked at the bits of paper that mentioned how the horses had run in their last races.

I got a brief glimpse of Eskimo Queen as she left the gates and after that my interest in the race waned
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Why? What else was there I was explaining that in the UK the main race of the year is run on a Saturday. I got very confused looks and they asked why on earth we would do that and how could we enjoy it properly on the weekend I love this place
Now that is a fair point
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:43 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

We all did - I can't believe how big it is even in Brisbane!

I went to a lunch at one of the mums from school - we had lots of food and champagne (although we were all driving so mixed with lots of fruit punch) - we all dressed up and I spent $16 on a feathery thing for my hair - which was cheap as the first few things I found were $60 upwards Had a sweepstake and all just about managed to watch the race. My horse was at the back somewhere.

OH watched it in boardroom at work - his horse came in 3rd

Kids watched it in their classrooms - youngest made hats and a booklet all about the cup. They had a sweepstake without the money and both horses came in near the back like mine did.

All in all it was nice to experience an Aussie tradition - didn't quite make up for Halloween and Fireworks but fun anyway.
Old Nov 6th 2007, 9:46 am

carmele is an unknown quantity at this point

A day off in canberra too!

It was a great day for us......... felt like a weekend day so shock will set in tomorrow as still 3 days to go for the weekend........

We spent a family day at a central canberra park with live music, big screen that showed horse race, loads of entertainment for the kids and a great atmosphere.........

mmmmmmm ........... tough life and all that.....

Carmel
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Ours started at 10:15 when our first office games started ... they were briefly interrupted when a humourless bint called for everyone to keep the noise down but continued pretty much unbated with various visits to the local pub to 'study the form'.

Some people even looked at the bits of paper that mentioned how the horses had run in their last races.

I got a brief glimpse of Eskimo Queen as she left the gates and after that my interest in the race waned
I hate it. Every other state does not squander a free holiday chance but treats it like one anyway!!!
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebnatoli
We all did - I can't believe how big it is even in Brisbane!
The whole country stops mate.

There'll be a bint from somewhere who will say its not as good as the Grand National just because it's shorter and has no jumps. Not the point....not the point(!)
Old Nov 6th 2007, 10:20 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

We held an office sweepstake where 6 of us had 3 horses each.
One was a bloke doing some short term project work for us.

The 3 he drew outta da hat filled the first 3 positions
Must be bloody big adds against that happening.

We immediately sacked him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.