Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:02 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Didn't realise there were so many of us in the same situation
Really hope we all find a way forward shortly...........something good has to happen to us!!!
Beth x x
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
OK. I understand where you are coming from. However, your intention does not mean that you have to sell.

I guess what I'm trying to point out, is it may be that you do sell at a huge loss. The prices will go up again, it may just take a while.

I left Oz for good, left my house in the hands of a rental agency nowhere near anyone that I knew. All worked out fine. I was advised to leave cash to cover six months worth of holding costs (I left a year's worth.) I eventually sold it when I was ready - about six years later.

I'm just trying to point out that there are alternatives, which may not really be considered unless emotion is put aside
No thats fine, I can totally see where your coming from and its something we have already thought about.

We talked to a few rental agencies about this and the problem was they said the rent we would get wouldn't even cover the mortgage, plus we needed to leave six months worth of costs as well, something we don't have.

A lot of the houses in our area are rentals so this may have something to do with the lost cost, so we thought selling was the next best option.

Believe me, emotion is well out of this now. We are doing what's best to get the most money out of what we can, although we know its not going to be much. We just want to tie everything up ready for when we can go thats all.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:13 pm
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyR
No thats fine, I can totally see where your coming from and its something we have already thought about.

We talked to a few rental agencies about this and the problem was they said the rent we would get wouldn't even cover the mortgage, plus we needed to leave six months worth of costs as well, something we don't have.

A lot of the houses in our area are rentals so this may have something to do with the lost cost, so we thought selling was the next best option.

Believe me, emotion is well out of this now. We are doing what's best to get the most money out of what we can, although we know its not going to be much. We just want to tie everything up ready for when we can go thats all.
Not sure what emotions are anymore........think I've got that bi-polar syndrome
Feeling down all the time........nothing to focus on........no viewers........blah, blah, blah
I could win the lottery and still feel like this
Beth x x
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Not sure what emotions are anymore........think I've got that bi-polar syndrome
Feeling down all the time........nothing to focus on........no viewers........blah, blah, blah
I could win the lottery and still feel like this
Beth x x
Something will come up. Try and stay positive and when you least expect it, something good will happen.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 4:52 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by AndyR
Something will come up. Try and stay positive and when you least expect it, something good will happen.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Thanks.......sent you some karma back
Beth x x
Old Apr 4th 2008, 5:59 pm
egghead4+becky

egghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud ofegghead4 has much to be proud of

egg and I decided last night that we will validate, then give it till august and rent. I dont really want to do this. last night I was all "yeah thats the best thing to do" and now i'm wondering whether it is. we are also considering reducing again, but dont know how much. Is anyone else considering renting?
bec
Old Apr 4th 2008, 6:19 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by egghead4
egg and I decided last night that we will validate, then give it till august and rent. I dont really want to do this. last night I was all "yeah thats the best thing to do" and now i'm wondering whether it is. we are also considering reducing again, but dont know how much. Is anyone else considering renting?
bec
It's head work isn't it Bec
Just been pricing up flights to validate.........it's about £6700 to go in July and over £7000 to go in August, cheapest flights are £4,300 so far at the end of May It's bloody winter time in Oz then though :curse:
Renting is out of the question for us.......and if we do validate then we won't be emigrating for another year to make the money back from the trip.
Where's the 'banging my head against a brick wall' smilie!!!!!!
Beth x x

Last edited by BethandAndrew; Apr 4th 2008 at 6:21 pm.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Just been pricing up flights to validate.........it's about £6700 to go in July and over £7000 to go in August, cheapest flights are £4,300 so far at the end of May It's bloody winter time in Oz then though :curse:
Renting is out of the question for us.......and if we do validate then we won't be emigrating for another year to make the money back from the trip.
Beth x x
Hi Beth

Know what you mean about the financial implications of a validation trip, we went for less than 3 weeks last year and it cost us £7000 in total but hubby is self employed so it adds up to more if we add in the loss of earnings
Have only just finished paying off the interest free credit card we set up, so there's no way we can afford to do it all again if we can't sell.

I thought you had until November to validate your visa? Perhaps I'm muddled!

On the positive side, we visited Tas at the beginning of June and had a great time, weather was a bit chilly but sunny and not many tourists around! We went then because it was cheaper than waiting til our summer hols.

Lets hope that the damned newspapers start reporting on something else other than the mortgage crunch, house market strife etc.

Sam
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:42 pm
Make it happen!!!!

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi Beth

Know what you mean about the financial implications of a validation trip, we went for less than 3 weeks last year and it cost us £7000 in total but hubby is self employed so it adds up to more if we add in the loss of earnings
Have only just finished paying off the interest free credit card we set up, so there's no way we can afford to do it all again if we can't sell.

I thought you had until November to validate your visa? Perhaps I'm muddled!

On the positive side, we visited Tas at the beginning of June and had a great time, weather was a bit chilly but sunny and not many tourists around! We went then because it was cheaper than waiting til our summer hols.

Lets hope that the damned newspapers start reporting on something else other than the mortgage crunch, house market strife etc.

Sam
Yeah it's going to cost us big time
Andrew won't get paid for time off either.........so it adds up then.
Girls have a week off school the end of May so thought that could be a good time to validate as they won't miss as much school work if we go for a fortnight.
No viewings lined up so we really have to decide whether to go for this trip in May or wait til July/August and pay even more to validate if we still haven't sold by then.
Beth x x
Old Apr 4th 2008, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's going to cost us big time
Andrew won't get paid for time off either.........so it adds up then.
Girls have a week off school the end of May so thought that could be a good time to validate as they won't miss as much school work if we go for a fortnight.
No viewings lined up so we really have to decide whether to go for this trip in May or wait til July/August and pay even more to validate if we still haven't sold by then.
Beth x x
Tried sending you some karma, it wouldn't let me, so here's a big hug instead

Sam
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud ofdejags has much to be proud of

Beth x x
Not sure where you are going to in Aus but wintertime in QLD is absolutely fab by UK standards. Not so good in other parts of Aus though.

Good luck for selling your house!

PS: have you tried the obvious things - springcleaning/decluttering, getting rid of any obvious defects, sprucing up the entrance (ala housedoctor). We have just sold and completely housedoctored our house before we put it on the market. It seemed to work a charm - we ensured that there was nothing to dislike in our house and ended up selling in less than 4 months - which in this market is a miracle. Make sure you listen to what the few viewers you are getting are telling you - if they all consistently say that they hate the lounge carpet, then get rid. We also ensured that we went with the "busiest" estate agent - they may charge a bit more in commission but if they get the job done then it's worth a bit more.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Lornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to allLornagoingtobrissy is a name known to all

hi we have to validate by july 4th
so have booked flights for end of may costing us 4k for fights alone never thought we wud be in this position worked so hard ova the last yr paying off debts just to pile them up again. But wot can we do give up ?
no chance not after all the things we have told the kids.

Lorna
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Didn't realise there were so many of us in the same situation
Really hope we all find a way forward shortly...........something good has to happen to us!!!
Beth x x
This in my opinion is the most ludicrous situation to be in shorley you
could explain your situations to the issuing body and get some extension
to the situation the amounts of money some people are using just to return
to the uk is crazy

I dont think the system was designed for that purpose maybe the issuing
body have a valid reason to have people settle at certain times due to
employment shortages economy etc SHORELEY
even in the best of times property dont sell like hot cakes sorry dont mean
to sound decronian but what a bloody waste of money
Old Apr 4th 2008, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stariston
SHORELEY
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

hi

interesting thread...............

our house is currently on the market & we've only had 2 viewings so far (in about 5/6 weeks)

we are due to validate by october this year, so may also soon be in the same position where we have to go & validate and return to the uk

we have thought about the option of renting our house out, but are slightly worried if at any time the property is vacant we will have to pay the mortgage

and also the fact that when we are ready to sell it again, what condition will it be in

i know all this isnt unsolvable, but it does make things very awkward.

i'm glad this thread is here so we can all give support and update everyone on our progress (or lack of it unfortunately :curse

lisa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.