Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Originally Posted by rightruccus
Just read your posts on page 28 lolylew and you know wot?

See in about 10 years time when you've settled in at *home*, you'll look back on this and have a laugh about it thinkin' "why did we ever worry about it and get all stressed?"

We're the same. We'd been gettin' all worked up over flights, Visa's, house etc etc, yet slowly, we've been teachin' oursleves that in a few years time, we'll look back and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Chin up. The glass is half full remember.

I know! My heads in a muddle with the removal side of the process at the moment though. I'll be glad when our sh**..., sorry, personal prized possessions are out of this place and it's only us that needs to move.

here here
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all
Default Re: Who else is going to have to validate their visas due to house not selling?

Thanks lolylew, we'll contact the airline and see if they'll hold it open for us.
If it's possible to do and hold it up for a year that would be brill.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 10:23 am
BE Enthusiast

lolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of lightlolylew is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks lolylew, we'll contact the airline and see if they'll hold it open for us.
If it's possible to do and hold it up for a year that would be brill.

worth a try hey? good luck
Old Sep 19th 2008, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

Good luck to all of you with viewings etc etc, we we gave up on selling ours, got interest but all wit houses to sell.....the only recent viewing were people trying their luck, after EA told them we despereate to sell as moving, so showing round people who simply couldn't afford it:curse:. So it will be tight but we sorted out sme debts and rented out changing mortgage to interest only we can just about cover. Just secured a 1 yr renter, willing to pay up front....sadly the rental agent have to hold that, it would have been great in bank against mortgage to reduce interest but he ho, so now (still waiting for signed paperwork), but looks like we need to be out by 13 Oct we have done nothing at all, every night this week (I work in eve ) but OH fallen asleep rather than be useful and decides to go deep sea fishing yesterday, so after being up all night and work today I expect he will be asleep by 8 30 (when I get home from work!) snoring of sofa

So shippers pencilled in for 13/14 Oct, looking for temporary rental i UK for 4 weeks, looking to fly 9th Nov to Perth, need holiday rental, rental, all getting booked up in Oz......sort xmas presents here, bank acc, do UK accounts as self employed, sort money, sell some shares that are up and down like yo yo....and everything else
Old Sep 19th 2008, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Great Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the roughGreat Escape is a jewel in the rough

It's a strange old world.
We put our house on the market in Feb for 3 months before taking it back off again as we weren't getting the offers we hoped, though they weren't miles away. We took it off the market cause a friend wanted to buy the house and we (in hindsight, stupidly) thought since her house was almost brand new, she would have a better chance of selling fairly quickly, so we thought, won a watch here, save on estate agent fees and get a bit more than the highest offer we'd had.

As it turned out, our friend didn't even get so much as a sniff for her house, so we resigned to validating our Visa's and coming back to carry on with what's needed to be done here, so we booked the return flights and arranged a months rental for November.

At the beginning of the month just there, we put our house back on the market with a different estate agent. Forked out £350+ for schedules and agreed to a higher % rate on house sale.
Well.... did we not just get a buyer before we even had the schedules through the door!
We agreed a price which was less than the best offer we had previously with the other agent, but with good reason. We reckoned that it was probably best to take that offer (1st viewer) than see how the market goes, because for every month we have it on the market we're paying out something like £1500 for the privelige, so to leave it on, for say another 3 months would cost us around £4500, so why not take the offer given to us, which, in our case happens to be £5k less than the previous best offer.
Our buyers are renting at the moment and have agreed a move in date of 31st October, which is a Friday. That's handy cause we fly out on the Sunday!

Anyway, deal was concluded yesterday, so instead of flying out on a return holiday, we'll forego the return flights and settle into our new life abroad.
Downside is because we weren't banking on selling the house, we now have just a smidgeon over 6 weeks to get everything sorted! Yikes!

Sorry for prattling on, just thought i'd share our experience and good luck to those still trying to sell. Remember, your future can change quickly just as ours did, but have a think about what it's costing you to keep the house on as well if you're swithering whether to accept an offer or not.
Congratulations and good luck with the new life! I just hope some of your luck rubs off on the rest of us!
Old Sep 20th 2008, 7:55 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
God this thread is getting bigger by the minute
No news our end...............still stuck in selling limbo......almost 18 months on the market and how I haven't been sectioned to the nut house I do not know!!!!
Haven't been online much recently..........was on a right downer since coming back from validating.......so trying to stay positive now.
Going to do a car boot sale soon to sell some bits we don't need.......probably be arguing with all the Polish people trying to get everything for 50p....PMSL
Good luck to you all........let's hope this thread keeps us all focused!!!!
Beth x x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BethandAndrew
Hi all,
No news our end...............still stuck in selling limbo......almost 18 months on the market and how I haven't been sectioned to the nut house I do not know!!!!
Haven't been online much recently..........was on a right downer since coming back from validating.......so trying to stay positive now.
Going to do a car boot sale soon to sell some bits we don't need.......probably be arguing with all the Polish people trying to get everything for 50p....PMSL
Beth x x
arrgghh, Beth!! we almost understand your frustration as we were on the market for almost a year and we know the anxiety involved (i actually am only just unfolding from it!!)

At the end of the day Australia is here and isn't going away and house prices are dropping here too...so chin up gal -i know its hard but you will get here eventually.

sam
Old Sep 20th 2008, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

rightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to allrightruccus is a name known to all

Hi BethandAndrew

We're intending to do a boot sale as well on Sunday if the weather stays dry. Don't think there will be many weekend opportunities left before it gets to cold to do them.
If weathers against us, it's gonna have to be E-bay. And failing that, the stuffs goin' to the dump!

Is your house value close to the stamp duty threshhold? Ours was and it was a nightmare to get anyone even remotely interested to offer close to where we thought it should be. In the end, we just looked at the grand scheme of things and thought "stuff it", "if that's all we're going to get, that's all we're going to get". Not everyone can afford to do that i appreciate, but it's a harsh reality of the times we are in at present. We wish you the best of luck.
18 months is a long time and must be hard to deal with, with no light at the end of the tunnel. We thought it was bad enough and that was only a few months.
Stay focussed. You will get there in the end.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Samleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud ofSamleeuk has much to be proud of

Hi all,
Beth x x
I guess renting isn't an option? We didn't think it would be, but somehow, very complicated but we have managed to do it that way.....bit scary and not the way we imagined it would be for a new life, but kinda nice to have a safety net here in case
Old Sep 20th 2008, 10:55 am
Make it happen!!!!

BethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeBethandAndrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
arrgghh, Beth!! we almost understand your frustration as we were on the market for almost a year and we know the anxiety involved (i actually am only just unfolding from it!!)

At the end of the day Australia is here and isn't going away and house prices are dropping here too...so chin up gal -i know its hard but you will get here eventually.

sam
Thanks Think we realised how totally deflated things were regarding selling when we got back from our validating trip. Lost almost all of the enthusiasm to keep going. We will make the big move one day.......it's hard when the girls ask 'when are we moving to Australia?' as we can't tell them

Hi BethandAndrew

We're intending to do a boot sale as well on Sunday if the weather stays dry. Don't think there will be many weekend opportunities left before it gets to cold to do them.
If weathers against us, it's gonna have to be E-bay. And failing that, the stuffs goin' to the dump!

Is your house value close to the stamp duty threshhold? Ours was and it was a nightmare to get anyone even remotely interested to offer close to where we thought it should be. In the end, we just looked at the grand scheme of things and thought "stuff it", "if that's all we're going to get, that's all we're going to get". Not everyone can afford to do that i appreciate, but it's a harsh reality of the times we are in at present. We wish you the best of luck.
18 months is a long time and must be hard to deal with, with no light at the end of the tunnel. We thought it was bad enough and that was only a few months.
Stay focussed. You will get there in the end.
Our house started at £200k......17 months later it's £158k No stamp duty anyway where we live......so we just have to wait for a serious buyer to come along. We have a 6 bedroomed semi only 3 years old!!! Having a good old sort out for the car boot sale......really have to pay this credit card off from validating asap.......£7,200 to go

Originally Posted by Samleeuk
I guess renting isn't an option? We didn't think it would be, but somehow, very complicated but we have managed to do it that way.....bit scary and not the way we imagined it would be for a new life, but kinda nice to have a safety net here in case
Renting would be a last resort for us.....as we won't get enough rent in to cover the mortgage. We also have a loan secured on the house so really want to sell to pay the mortgage and loan off.

Hoping to look back and laugh my arse off in a few years time!!!! Either that or we'll still be trying to sell the house!!!!

Beth x x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

Our house started at £200k......17 months later it's £158k No stamp duty anyway where we live......so we just have to wait for a serious buyer to come along. We have a 6 bedroomed semi only 3 years old!!! Having a good old sort out for the car boot sale......really have to pay this credit card off from validating asap.......£7,200 to go
Oh be jeesus, that's hard to take and a very big drop in price. Very sorry to hear that.

Are you still getting viewers though? For the viewers you have had, what's the feedback been like?
Old Sep 20th 2008, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

mi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant futuremi5agent has a brilliant future

So we would have to get at least £270 a week in rent
Hi,
I may have missed it cos I have not read every post...BUT renting your home can be a minefield.!

You will need a new insurance for renters, and it costs more.

You should also be aware that the new tenants can trash your place over and above the cost of the bond they lodge.....and sueing is a waste of time.

I assume cos you intend coming back to use it..that you would rent furnished...do you intend to dump the furniture before you leave for Oz permanent? Cos it may not be in the same condition when you get back!

Get full info from a letting agent or your Estate agent if they do lets.

We considered this 18 months ago..... ours is a 4 bed detached and would bring in about £800 - £900 a month... but if it costs £20K to put it all back together after the teneants go..is it worth it!

Good luck

Last edited by mi5agent; Sep 20th 2008 at 11:32 am.
Old Sep 20th 2008, 11:27 am
Make it happen!!!!

Oh be jeesus, that's hard to take and a very big drop in price. Very sorry to hear that.

Are you still getting viewers though? For the viewers you have had, what's the feedback been like?
Viewers and EA have all said 'stunning house, modern, plenty of room......nothing needs doing, many extras' blah blah blah..........just can't take it to that final step to get a buyer!!!!

Originally Posted by mi5agent
Hi, I may have missed it cos I have not read every post...BUt renting you home can be a minefield.!

You will need a new insurance for renters, costs more.

You should also be aware that they can trash your place over and above the cost of the bond they ladge.....and sueing is a waste of time.

I assume cos you intend coming back to use it..that you woul drent furnished...do you intend to dump it before you leave for Oz permanent? Cos it may not be in the same condition when you get back!

Get full info from a letting agent or your Estate agent if they do lets.

We considered this 18 months ago..... ours is a 4 bed detached and woul dbring about £800 - £900 a month... but if it costs £20K to put back together after th eteneants go..is it worth it!

Good luck
Thanks.........not going to rent our house out now..........too much hassle and not enough income to cover the mortgage.

Beth x x
Old Sep 20th 2008, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

jacm will become famous soon enoughjacm will become famous soon enough

Hi, We too are having to have an expensive validation trip (2 adults + 2 kids) - although we know we will find the trip useful looking at areas and will enjoy it!! Can't afford to rent the house out as need the money to finance the move.... Although we are really depressed at the housing market (or lack of it!!:curse we try to keep reminding ourselves that at least we now have the visa and will get over there eventually....
Old Sep 20th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Viewers and EA have all said 'stunning house, modern, plenty of room......nothing needs doing, many extras' blah blah blah..........just can't take it to that final step to get a buyer!!!!

Thanks.........not going to rent our house out now..........too much hassle and not enough income to cover the mortgage.

Beth x x
Our purchasing viewers are the same, no negatives, overflowing with positives, but noone willing to proceed or can't! Do feel very sorry for all you in this situation, I am a little worried about renting, we are going thru agent and although no guarentees, the renters are paying 1 yr up front and are a family, girl in GCSE years, hoping all will be well, we are taking a little less rent than we hoped and the house is completely refurbed, but got all the neighbours to be on the lookout for the slightest issue and will pester the agent to earn their cut!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.