Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

Old Apr 9th 2010, 1:14 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of
Default Re: who else can't sell house in Uk and has visa

We didn't sell our house before moving out here and had to let it out instead. I found a 'good' management company who would do all the donkey work (at 10% commission).

Unfortunately the first tenants we had proved to be problem tenants. The guy lost his security job and then they stopped paying their rent. They then went on to outstay their welcome and I had to have them evicted owing several months rent! To make matters worse, they trashed the house on leaving. Their final act was to steal items from the property, including a tool shed, lawnmower and even the baskets from the dishwasher!

They came with excellent references, but left me in shock.

Oh how I wish we'd sold.

Last edited by coolshadows; Apr 9th 2010 at 1:18 am.
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by freebo View Post
Well, we've had the movers in for 3 days and completed on our house sale today. Its a very strange feeling not to be a homeowner anymore, and to watch all your worldly goods be packed up & driven off. Once the terror subsides I'm hoping a bit of excitement will arrive!

We have a rental place for 4-5 weeks then we're off!

Oh yeah, and I had a telephone interview this morning

Good luck to all selling, I think the market is picking up a bit because of the low interest rates, just wanted to mention that its a strange & scary process
Well done, it must feel really strange. Just think when you open it the other side how lovely that will be! We had Doree Bonner come round yesterday for a quote. He was a lovely guy. It did however really hit home that we are on the final push!

Deep breaths my friend, Deep breaths
and good luck hearing from the interview
C x
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:40 am
Lyx
BE Enthusiast

Lyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really niceLyx is just really nice

Originally Posted by coolshadows View Post
We didn't sell our house before moving out here and had to let it out instead. I found a 'good' management company who would do all the donkey work (at 10% commission).

Unfortunately the first tenants we had proved to be problem tenants. The guy lost his security job and then they stopped paying their rent. They then went on to outstay their welcome and I had to have them evicted owing several months rent! To make matters worse, they trashed the house on leaving. Their final act was to steal items from the property, including a tool shed, lawnmower and even the baskets from the dishwasher!

They came with excellent references, but left me in shock.

Oh how I wish we'd sold.

Oh my that's awful, can you but insurance to protect against tennants not paying rent/ trashing house etc?
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

carolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to beholdcarolinejones3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lyx View Post
Market here is still the pits. 2 houses same as mine reduced from £185k to £155k still not moving. (4 Bed detached 10 year old newbuild) BUT People seem to buying up the new redrow 3 bed semi's for £157k

I really don't understand it.

You had any joy with the visa yet?
Think it definately going to be next summer before we make the move.
Whats happening with the Queensland xpats facebook group btw I've finally got facebook sorted - but looks as though everyones on their Easter hols - LOLx
Hi Lyx,

I really hope you get some byers soon. I know what you are going through honey! Its like living on a knife edge and in limbo land. It will happen, keep positive.
Cx
Old Apr 9th 2010, 8:44 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lyx View Post
Oh my that's awful, can you but insurance to protect against tennants not paying rent/ trashing house etc?
You can get insurance but I thought it was excessive at the time (can't remember the actual amount now). There was also the option of a higher management package that worked out at a similar cost - 15% commission instead of 10% (If you're paying a mortgage then the commission can be a big hit!).

I guess you have to calculate what are the odds of having a 'bad' tenant!

(they even kicked in all the fitted wardrobe doors, and I had to have all the locks changed as a precaution)

Last edited by coolshadows; Apr 9th 2010 at 8:47 am.
Old Apr 11th 2010, 10:02 pm
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys for the info on the tax, thats a weight off my mind, congrats to everyone who have had offers or exchanged, hopefully not too long for everyone else
Old May 5th 2010, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Griffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really niceGriffangus is just really nice

Well guys.......that's it.

We moved out on Friday and into a friends spare room for the next 6 weeks before we fly!

Typical moving day dramas with an emergency call-out plumber required (£150!! ) , new batteries for the door bell purchased and a bit of a spat with a neighbor but that is now done and dusted.

How are things progressing for you guys with the houses still on the market?

Positive thoughts all.

Griffangus
Old May 5th 2010, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Griffangus View Post
Well guys.......that's it.

We moved out on Friday and into a friends spare room for the next 6 weeks before we fly!

Typical moving day dramas with an emergency call-out plumber required (£150!! ) , new batteries for the door bell purchased and a bit of a spat with a neighbor but that is now done and dusted.

How are things progressing for you guys with the houses still on the market?

Positive thoughts all.

Griffangus
We moved out 6 weeks ago and we fly on Saturday.

The time flies!

Good luck all
Old May 5th 2010, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

We hoped to be away by August but things have fallen through regarding the house. I'm thinking about putting it up for auction just for a quick sale! The problem is that if we change our minds because it hasn't sold in the auction then we will have to pay £1K + VAT for withdrawing from the contract.
Catch 22 for us do we wait and try to sell and put up for rent or do we gamble on the auction?
Old May 10th 2010, 6:15 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Guys,
Thought I'd jump on your Bandwagon, being a stuck with the house not selling 'millstone'. As you can see only just got the Visa but house went on market Feb, and VERY slow!
Had our 3rd (!!! ) viewing on Friday - he loves it, she HATES it (witch!) - I was going to suggest a good Divorce Lawyer, but s'pose thats a bit OTT on my part
I do think that it will drive me crazy though, long-term - I had never realised before how sodding impatient I am!! - Steep learning curve on Self-awareness!
When I read all that most of you have endured in the 'selling up' arena, I cannot believe the horrors I have ahead of me!
Think the danger is that now I have Visa in sweaty mitt, I have subconsciously began to 'disconnect' from here and work etc, which I am desperately trying to halt - no point even thinking about flitting just yet

So I'm off to start the 'going GaGa' process with the likely wait I have ahead!
Any tips or strategies for retaining sanity - please let me know !
Old May 10th 2010, 6:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rahrah View Post
Hi Guys,
Thought I'd jump on your Bandwagon, being a stuck with the house not selling 'millstone'. As you can see only just got the Visa but house went on market Feb, and VERY slow!
Had our 3rd (!!! ) viewing on Friday - he loves it, she HATES it (witch!) - I was going to suggest a good Divorce Lawyer, but s'pose thats a bit OTT on my part
I do think that it will drive me crazy though, long-term - I had never realised before how sodding impatient I am!! - Steep learning curve on Self-awareness!
When I read all that most of you have endured in the 'selling up' arena, I cannot believe the horrors I have ahead of me!
Think the danger is that now I have Visa in sweaty mitt, I have subconsciously began to 'disconnect' from here and work etc, which I am desperately trying to halt - no point even thinking about flitting just yet

So I'm off to start the 'going GaGa' process with the likely wait I have ahead!
Any tips or strategies for retaining sanity - please let me know !

Sorry about it not shifting yet.

We were made an offer today (Mrs. Brown of all people) and so are in the negotiating stage.

Last edited by Alfresco; May 10th 2010 at 6:52 pm.
Old May 10th 2010, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sportsendurance View Post
We hoped to be away by August but things have fallen through regarding the house. I'm thinking about putting it up for auction just for a quick sale! The problem is that if we change our minds because it hasn't sold in the auction then we will have to pay £1K + VAT for withdrawing from the contract.
Catch 22 for us do we wait and try to sell and put up for rent or do we gamble on the auction?
Very sorry to hear that SE. You guys deserve to be there already.
Old May 10th 2010, 8:17 pm
YES!! Sold sign!!!!!

rahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of lightrahrah is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post
We were made an offer today (Mrs. Brown of all people) and so are in the negotiating stage.
Cool - hope Gordon likes his new home, that Mrs Brown has picked for him!
Seriously - all the best with the haggling - Go Alfresco!
Old May 10th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

emma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to beholdemma75 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Alfresco View Post

Sorry about it not shifting yet.

thats great news.
We are meant to be leaving in August and have had no offers yet, its only been on a few weeks but its soo bloody frustrating! Im staying positive ..... for now!
Old May 10th 2010, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rahrah View Post
Cool - hope Gordon likes his new home, that Mrs Brown has picked for him!
Seriously - all the best with the haggling - Go Alfresco!

Cheers! Numpty me, she is no relation to THE Gordon B.

Originally Posted by emma75 View Post
thats great news.
We are meant to be leaving in August and have had no offers yet, its only been on a few weeks but its soo bloody frustrating! Im staying positive ..... for now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.