Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who does the most baggage allowance?

Who does the most baggage allowance?

Old Aug 29th 2007, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

owen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really nice
Default Who does the most baggage allowance?

Hi Guys,
Just waiting to sell the house and were off to Sunny Brisbane, Can anyone tell us how to get the largest baggage allowance as we have already activated our visa's earlier this year.
I know if we fly via the USA we could get more but i am not sure?

Regards, Owen and Carol (In Sunny Ponte, west Yorks)
Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:36 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who does the most baggage allowance?

Fly visa the USA for 46Kg each.

If you have permanent visas:

Fly Emirates for 40Kg (no stopover allowed)
Singapore for 40Kg (stopover allowed)
Quantas (flying east and no stopover) 40Kg if you set up an account with Commonweath bank
Emirates, promotion for members of movingplanet, 50Kg (no stopover)

See this thread.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

i may be wrong but i don't think you can take 40kg on a singapore etc (migrant flight) if you've already validated!

someone may correct me if i'm wrong though??
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:26 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
i may be wrong but i don't think you can take 40kg on a singapore etc (migrant flight) if you've already validated!

Generally speaking you can only get the 40kgs on an unvalidated permanent residency visa.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:11 am
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sammyg

We had already validated and still got the 40kgs with Singapore, but it seems to me it really does depend on who you speak to and if they are in a good mood or not!! We got it in writing as had friends that had, had it agreed and got to the airport they had to pay HUGE amounts of money to get all their stuff on the plane!!
Old Aug 30th 2007, 6:32 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon the only way that the airline is going to know if you have validated your visa or not is by thumbing through your passport to find an entry stamp between visa issue date and the date of travel. Unlikely your average check in chic is going to be bothered to do that if you saunter up to check in with an email from the airline saying that you can have xxx kg when migrating using a PR visa. Just play it cool and I reckon you'd get it no worries and just dont bother to mention you've validated it.

OK - it would be naughty and perhaps not entirely truthful but c'est la vie.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:05 am
Humble vaudevillian

benny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to beholdbenny the ball is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Centurion
I reckon the only way that the airline is going to know if you have validated your visa or not is by thumbing through your passport to find an entry stamp between visa issue date and the date of travel. Unlikely your average check in chic is going to be bothered to do that if you saunter up to check in with an email from the airline saying that you can have xxx kg when migrating using a PR visa. Just play it cool and I reckon you'd get it no worries and just dont bother to mention you've validated it.

OK - it would be naughty and perhaps not entirely truthful but c'est la vie.
It's all computerised along with your passport number isnt it?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

owen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really niceowen709646 is just really nice

Thanks for your replys guys, if anyone else knows different then please keep them comming.
Once again Thanks.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 9:30 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I believe you can get 64kg if you fly via the USA.....Qantas is your only direct option LAX - Brisbane, however your UK - LAX flight MUST NOT BE ON BA (who will only allow you 46kg - their new rules). If booking this all on one ticket you would probably be looking at American Airlines UK-LAX and Qantas LAX-BNE.

This routing is typically more expensive than going via Asia though.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 10:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benny the ball
It's all computerised along with your passport number isnt it?
Yes it is. They will know if the visa has been used before.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:43 am
Account Closed

MaggieM is an unknown quantity at this point

If you fly via USA the "piece system" comes into force. They allow two pieces of luggage per paying passenger. Each piece has to weigh 32Kgs or less as this is the maximum the baggage handlers are allowed to lift.

If you use Quantas or British Airways, and have a one-way ticket to Australia or New Zealand, they will give you a migrant's allowance of 40Kgs per each paying passenger.

Hope this helps,

Good Luck!!

Maggie
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

on a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud ofon a mission has much to be proud of

This is from Experience.

I went and validated and come back, infact I went three time before I went permanently. (even though i come back two years later)

Only on the permanent stay flight did I get the 40kG allowance.

Phone the before you go and tell them this is the case.

Its easy as that.

If you go business class of course, you get extra inches in the seats, extra baggage allowance, and arrive with a few grand less in your pocket.

All roundabouts..
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 9:57 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MaggieM
If you fly via USA the "piece system" comes into force. They allow two pieces of luggage per paying passenger. Each piece has to weigh 32Kgs or less as this is the maximum the baggage handlers are allowed to lift.
....except for BA who are now enforcing a maximum 23kg per 'piece' irrespective of whether the travel involves North America. Economy gets 2 pieces (46kg) and Club/First 3 pieces (69kg).

http://www.britishairways.com/travel...en_gb#americas

...actually the information on this link is totally contradictory so who knows what the allowance is!

Last edited by bcworld; Sep 2nd 2007 at 10:00 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

chmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura aboutchmaiden has a spectacular aura about

you only get the increased allowance on qantas if you have the migrant flight which is about £200 more than the one way cost - go figure!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:34 pm
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine is migrating here on PR in October and trying to get the 40 Kg with Singapore Airlines.
They have advised them that the migrant fare that allows this costs more!

Have they just started to do this?

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.