Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who didn't know a soul?

Who didn't know a soul?

Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Who didn't know a soul?

Originally Posted by h1tvd
Hi Marie

Why did you leave Adelaide?
Hi,

It just wasnt right for us. We had visited a few places before emigrating and out of them all we loved the Gold Coast. Bit of a long story so I wont bore you but points changed just before we done the reccie so at that point our only option was STNI hence we researched Adelaide more. Met lots of nice friends through Adelaidebrit meet ups etc etc. Just before we submitted visa application hubbies job was added to MODL meaning we could live anywhere we liked but having been concentrating so hard on Adelaide and meeting the friends we had we felt it would be better to go to Adelaide where they were heading.

We don't regret going there it was all part of the migrating experience but to me the place thats right for you to live in has to grab you and Adelaide had to grow on me.

If you want any more info please feel free to PM me.

Marie
Old Jan 5th 2007, 10:28 pm
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kapri
I'm just wondering how many people emigrated to Australia not knowing anyone there?
The only friends we have in Oz are in Perth and we're headed to Melbourne.
I note that a lot of people who are happy in Australia have family there or an Aussie partner.
This is my major concern really.
I think things like if there was an emergency and me or hubby were taken to hospital who would mind the kids? Thoughts like that.
I know eventually we will make friends etc but it takes time.
Does anyone else have this worry or do the majority know people out there?
Hi,

We didn't know a soul when we arrived in Oz. The best advice I can give is to not turn down any of the invites you get and to go along to any and everything even when you don't really want to.

Any problems you might have you will just have to ask for help if needed, people all over the World can be pretty helpful.

We've found that our antipodean cousins are more prepared to take a chance on liking someone and will invite you along before they know how it will go. If it turns out you get on that's great, but if not then hopefully everyone had a good time anyway. Different to at home where you really have to know someone before you go for drinks/dinner/BBQ/ etc...

We've been here for 14 months now and have still only turned down invites where we literally couldn't go i.e. double booked or away etc. The piece de resistance was when we had our 1 year anniversary party and had between 35-40 of our new friends turn up.

Cheers.
</IMG>
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

smiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to allsmiths is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Quinns
We fly out in 7 weeks to Brisbane, hubby,moi,5 year old and dog!!!:scared:
Oh well! Your only here once........... life is an adventure!!!!
Does anyone wants some friends! in the Ormiston area!
Hi Quinns

We arrived in Ormiston by the Bay in November 2006. If you need anything just let me know. Maybe we can meet up when you're here

Heather
Old Jan 5th 2007, 11:47 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smiths
Hi Quinns

We arrived in Ormiston by the Bay in November 2006. If you need anything just let me know. Maybe we can meet up when you're here

Heather
We arrived in Adelaide in August not knowing anyone. We'd never been out of North America before and our children had never been anywhere except Canada and they went to Florida once. I have a sister in Brisbane, but I come from an exceptionally large family and I have not seen or heard from her in over 4 years. So, all in all we came knowing nobody.
Although we have met a few people we find it difficult to get to know anyone. Both my husband and I are inherently shy people although he is much more introverted than I am. We both are not good in crowds so tend to not go to any of the meetup type events.
Don't worry about not knowing anyone. While it takes time to meet new people you will eventually get to know the right people for you. As for your kids if you guys get sick, don't worry. What are the chances of that happening?
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:17 am
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
We arrived in Adelaide in August not knowing anyone. We'd never been out of North America before and our children had never been anywhere except Canada and they went to Florida once. I have a sister in Brisbane, but I come from an exceptionally large family and I have not seen or heard from her in over 4 years. So, all in all we came knowing nobody.
Although we have met a few people we find it difficult to get to know anyone. Both my husband and I are inherently shy people although he is much more introverted than I am. We both are not good in crowds so tend to not go to any of the meetup type events.
Don't worry about not knowing anyone. While it takes time to meet new people you will eventually get to know the right people for you. As for your kids if you guys get sick, don't worry. What are the chances of that happening?
sent you a PM
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:39 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just wondering how many people emigrated to Australia not knowing anyone there?
I note that a lot of people who are happy in Australia have family there or an Aussie partner.
I think things like if there was an emergency and me or hubby were taken to hospital who would mind the kids? Thoughts like that.
Yea I worry about this. It is just me and my husband and although we are slowly starting to make fiends we knew no one out here. It was fine for a while but I am now starting to think about 'what if x happens'!! Hopefully it wont!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:20 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

We came to Brisbane and while we have friends in Sydney knew no-one here. Went to a couple of BE meets and have hooked up with a few expats. We have BBQ, Girls and guys nights out and kids parties etc. Been a godsend.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Jan 6th 2007, 9:50 am
imp
Just Joined

imp is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Who didn't know a soul?

we moved over in november to queensland not knowing anybody either and it was certainly difficult!Not having anybody to stay with when we arrived was our biggest problem and panic set in.We do know people in NSW but it isn't much help when you are so far away.It really does'nt seem to matter much now.Once you meet a few people you will feel v.different.At least we done it all on our own!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imp
we moved over in november to queensland not knowing anybody either and it was certainly difficult!Not having anybody to stay with when we arrived was our biggest problem and panic set in.We do know people in NSW but it isn't much help when you are so far away.It really does'nt seem to matter much now.Once you meet a few people you will feel v.different.At least we done it all on our own!
we moved to Perth not knowing anyone here but I quite liked that as we settled exactly where we wanted to and weren't pulled to any one area because we knew someone there.

We've made a few friends in the expat community but, as we're not drinkers, we do feel a bit isolated. We moved into our new house a month ago and still not seen any neighbours !
Old Jan 6th 2007, 11:44 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohippy
we moved to Perth not knowing anyone here but I quite liked that as we settled exactly where we wanted to and weren't pulled to any one area because we knew someone there.

We've made a few friends in the expat community but, as we're not drinkers, we do feel a bit isolated. We moved into our new house a month ago and still not seen any neighbours !
Us too! We were renting on a really friendly street but now we have moved to a new street and we haven't meet anyone and they all seem so much older than us!! I think we need to be brave and start knocking on doors!! Have heard of people popping invites into neighbours doors and inviting them round for a drink, I think we may do that but am worried we might invite the local robber!!! Sceptical pom!!!
Old Jan 6th 2007, 12:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vernons
Us too! We were renting on a really friendly street but now we have moved to a new street and we haven't meet anyone and they all seem so much older than us!! I think we need to be brave and start knocking on doors!! Have heard of people popping invites into neighbours doors and inviting them round for a drink, I think we may do that but am worried we might invite the local robber!!! Sceptical pom!!!
We need to do the door knocking thing but I hate that. I could put invites in all the letter boxes but what if no one shows up ? That would be awful. I'm not very good at putting myself out there so have been doing a lot of gardening out the front in the hope I would see someone. Hasn't worked so far.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:23 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all your replies. I am feeling a bit better about it all although still slightly apprehensive.
It's interesting reading peoples experiences.
It sounds like the way to go is: go and introduce yourself to your neighbours, go to expats meetings and accept ALL invitations.
I usually find a bottle of wine or 3 breaks the ice
Old Jan 6th 2007, 1:46 pm
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

We moved to Brisbane 'knowing' only a handful of people from here we had chatted to online and some others up north and in Melbourne. We made some friends pretty quickly, mostly through work but not exclusively. We also got together with some other BE members fairly regularly. We met our neighbours when we locked ourselves out of our house and asked them to send their 7-year old through the bathroom window to let us back in

We have recently moved to Darwin, knowing only 1 couple of here and haven't really given it a second thought. We're both reasonably outgoing and know it won't be a problem making friends up here too.
Old Jan 6th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Donna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to beholdDonna&Neil is a splendid one to behold

Hi the oh has family in Melbourne and we are planning on heading to Brisbane. We will not know a soul but I'm hopeful we will make friends through work and maybe meet up with folk we've been 'chatting' with on BE.

Donna & Neil
Old Jan 6th 2007, 7:03 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Dont fret so much. Melbourne is a very friendly place

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.