Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who didn't know a soul?

Who didn't know a soul?

Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:09 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who didn't know a soul?

I'm just wondering how many people emigrated to Australia not knowing anyone there?
The only friends we have in Oz are in Perth and we're headed to Melbourne.
I note that a lot of people who are happy in Australia have family there or an Aussie partner.
This is my major concern really.
I think things like if there was an emergency and me or hubby were taken to hospital who would mind the kids? Thoughts like that.
I know eventually we will make friends etc but it takes time.
Does anyone else have this worry or do the majority know people out there?
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Who didn't know a soul?

Originally Posted by Kapri
I'm just wondering how many people emigrated to Australia not knowing anyone there?
I note that a lot of people who are happy in Australia have family there or an Aussie partner.
I think things like if there was an emergency and me or hubby were taken to hospital who would mind the kids? Thoughts like that.
G'day - lots of people do not know anyone and there is a fair bit of movement interstate so even true blue Aussies will arrive in a new city and will effectively be starting from scratch. I had good friends in Sydney and relatives in Canberra but I decided to head to Brisbane where I did not know a soul. People are friendly and helpful but you do need to stick your neck out like anywhere as no one is going to come knocking on your door. It is probably easier if you do know people in the area you choose to settle in but not essential.

Good luck

Sue
Old Jan 5th 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

nurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant futurenurselindsey has a brilliant future

Hi you can add us to the list too - We were initially set to head to Perth, where hubby has family , but after falling in love with the place decided that social services may not look on us favourably if we sold one of our children to fund the whole venture So off we will go to Adelaide, we dont have to sell a child, just the dog - where we know no one - What an adventure

Lindsey
Old Jan 5th 2007, 6:49 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

We didn't know anybody at all in Australia and had only been to Brisbane for 1 week 1 month before we emigrated. We have no major regrets, would just like to know which black hole we spent a lot of our post immigration money in, and the whole family have settled well and made new friends here both Aus, Brit and NZ.

As the other poster said the Aussies themselves do seem to move around more than Brits do and my son is always telling me such and such is leaving school and a new one has popped up in his place. For those with children there are normally quite a few Brits in every school which helps the kids settle.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:32 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

I only know one person in Aus...Adelaide

we're heading to Melbourne so we will be 'billy no-mates'

scarey :scared: :scared:
Old Jan 5th 2007, 7:40 pm
Yes yes yes brissy bound!

The Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really niceThe Quinns is just really nice

We fly out in 7 weeks to Brisbane, hubby,moi,5 year old and dog!!!:scared:
Oh well! Your only here once........... life is an adventure!!!!
Does anyone wants some friends! in the Ormiston area!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 8:39 pm
Banned

GinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond reputeGinaUK has a reputation beyond repute

We don't know anyone in Australia.

But, we're going to Perth. And here on the BE forum, we've "met" others going there or already there. We hope to meet up with some of them at the various meetings that get organised.

Gina
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

sarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant futuresarah34 has a brilliant future

I have family in melbourne but we are heading to queensland so we also are going to be billy no-mates.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Hi
We have no family or close friends in OZ. We have met a few couples this year on holiday in Malaysia - a very popular holiday destination for aussies apparently. OH was asked on many occassions if he was australian, which pleased him immensely
We have kept in touch via email with one couple with kids in Brisbane who have offered to put us up when we come for our reccie in March - very generous as we only met them for 2 weeks about 6 months ago. Hoping its a proper invite and not one that was only meant to be polite!! - cos we are gonna accept. We wouldnt normally accept after such a short acquaintance but needs must when you are gonna be billy no mates.
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:26 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by h1tvd
Hi
We have no family or close friends in OZ. We have met a few couples this year on holiday in Malaysia - a very popular holiday destination for aussies apparently. OH was asked on many occassions if he was australian, which pleased him immensely
We have kept in touch via email with one couple with kids in Brisbane who have offered to put us up when we come for our reccie in March - very generous as we only met them for 2 weeks about 6 months ago. Hoping its a proper invite and not one that was only meant to be polite!! - cos we are gonna accept. We wouldnt normally accept after such a short acquaintance but needs must when you are gonna be billy no mates.
We didnt know anyone either, and we have done this 4 times.....but then we didnt really have a lot of friends in the UK either. Not that theres anything wrong with us I'd like to add!! Just quiet souls...
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

h1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to allh1tvd is a name known to all

Yeah, but its always the quiet ones you need to watch!!!
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:29 pm
Account Closed

The OH is an unknown quantity at this point

Didn’t know a soul, knew no one and no reccie either.

Can you imagine asking your OH for directions when your driving and she replies “I’ve never been here before, you daft ….(expletive)?

Being out of your comfort zone and placing yourselves in a situation where its - start all over again time – loading that with finding work / staying in the rental and having a reserved and introverted nature (yes not everyone has a natural outgoing personality, like moi)…and then leaving family behind is the most daunting, challenging and emotive time of your life.

My Dear departed Ma said, “do everything while your young and got your health”

Experience it whether or not you have family or friends here, things like what if’s will happen wherever you are and you’ll deal with it in the best way you know but more importantly you got to have soul, and a partner who’s a soul mate who’s supportive …a supportive forum, and plenty of ‘sponz’ especially if you did'nt bring your stuff over in a container. Hey, it’s a fresh start, bring it on you’ll make new friends I’m sure.

The OH
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

G'day,

we moved over three years ago to Brisbane with our three kids - we knew nobody.

Now we know lots of people!

it's the best way to do it I think, I had the who would lookafter the kids thought as well - but you make new friends real quickly

this is a friendly country
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

fluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud offluffy1 has much to be proud of

Hi,

When we first moved to Australia 19 months ago we had made some friends through meet ups in UK that were also going to Adelaide so once we got there, although they werent there yet, it was a comfort blanket to know that our friends were arriving ver the next couple of months. After 9 months of living our new life with our friends we decided Adelaide wasnt for us and left behind everything and everyone we knew to do it all over again on the Gold Coast.

We felt that move was even harder than from UK to Oz as we didnt know anyone at all. But we got here and have made friends and after 10 months of our second new life we couldnt be happier.

Don't worry things always work out. Good luck with your move and I am sure you will look back on it and think "why was I worried?"

Marie
Old Jan 5th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fluffy1
Hi,

When we first moved to Australia 19 months ago we had made some friends through meet ups in UK that were also going to Adelaide so once we got there, although they werent there yet, it was a comfort blanket to know that our friends were arriving ver the next couple of months. After 9 months of living our new life with our friends we decided Adelaide wasnt for us and left behind everything and everyone we knew to do it all over again on the Gold Coast.

We felt that move was even harder than from UK to Oz as we didnt know anyone at all. But we got here and have made friends and after 10 months of our second new life we couldnt be happier.

Don't worry things always work out. Good luck with your move and I am sure you will look back on it and think "why was I worried?"

Marie
Hi Marie

Why did you leave Adelaide?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.