Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who did you book your flights through?

Who did you book your flights through?

Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:23 pm
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Question Who did you book your flights through?

Hi

can anyone reccomend a travel agent for booking one way flights to Melbourne? Or did you book them direct with the airline?
I have tried looking at Expedia, etc, and can't seem to find the great deals that other people have got.

Also, has anyone managed to pre-book extra leg room for their flights? I will need to be able to do this as my husband is 6'5" and cannot fit into the normal sized seats.

Thanks in advance

Mel

Last edited by mika24me; Jun 5th 2003 at 2:26 pm.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Try Travel select find the link on www.movingdownunder.co.uk/files/travel.php

if youu book in advance you should be able to get leg room, or book business class.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

parrot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who did you book your flights through?

Originally posted by mika24me
Hi

can anyone reccomend a travel agent for booking one way flights to Melbourne? Or did you book them direct with the airline?
I have tried looking at Expedia, etc, and can't seem to find the great deals that other people have got.

Also, has anyone managed to pre-book extra leg room for their flights? I will need to be able to do this as my husband is 6'5" and cannot fit into the normal sized seats.

Thanks in advance

Mel
We rang round places like Travelbag, Bridge The World, Austravel and got quotes for flights. Our tickets are one way going to Perth, then on to Cairns, although we will ultimately end up in Melbourne. We're travelling round a bit before we settle. Anyway I digress....
I think the lowest quote was with Austravel, then I rang Flight Centre, who we had booked with before, and they matched the air ticket quote we had been given and the holiday insurance quote, so we went with them, just before we'd dealt with them before and had been great.
Then we rang up Qantas and reserved seats no problem. Got the pair of seats towards the back from heathrow to Singapre and the extra legroom seats from Singapore to perth. Did it quite a long way in advance tho. Hope this helps.
Parrot
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

Travel Centre have always been my favourite.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Try this web site we booked flights with them a while back, they were the cheapest.

ebookers

Pete
Old Jun 5th 2003, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

John Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant futureJohn Howard has a brilliant future

Originally posted by John Howard
Try this web site we booked flights with them a while back, they were the cheapest.

ebookers

Pete
Whoops

ebookers

Thats the right address

Pete
Old Jun 5th 2003, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

karlos is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Mel,

We are of to validate in October. We used Trailfinders:-

http://www.trailfinders.co.uk/index.htm

Regards
Karl.
Old Jun 5th 2003, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

www.flytheworld4less.co.uk

Mash

Hi

Thanks in advance

Mel
Old Jun 5th 2003, 4:37 pm
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

We too used Trailfinders there and back!!!

Excellent service and good priced tickets
Old Jun 5th 2003, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

I am just getting around to booking my single to Adelaide for end of July and have found prices and offers vary every day. I believe it depends on availability and the number of seats airlines release to the agents etc. Travel Select were coming up with competive ones, I have not been able to see anything very cheap on ebookers. Just keep searching on internet till you get a cheapie or leave it to an agent like Travelbag to do it for you . Also depends on where you are going - ie there are more deals to Perth and Sydney but Adelaide is not so popular or competitive. Leg room question - if you have booked you can ring the airline and ask for a seat at the front or back of each section - although these tend to get taken early on as they are most popular with people travelling with children. First time I flew out I was wedged (literally) between a 6ft 4 rugger type and a 23 stone lady for 14 hours. They promptly fell asleep and snored and I proceeded feel very claustrophobic - couldn't move - plane was full. So is deffo worth trying to get a good seat. In addition leg room varies with each airline - minimum requirement is 28 inches, Thai Airlines are pretty generous with 34 inches. A couple of inches can make a slight difference on a journey of that length.

Elaine
Old Jun 5th 2003, 4:55 pm
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold

A good site which brings up all the agents and websites is www.cheapflights.co.uk

We used airlinenetwork last time we went to oz as they were the cheapest and when we went to sri lanka used ebookers. Both gave a great service.

Each agent (consolidator) buys so many seats on a flight and I guess as they are buying in bulk get whatever rate the airline is offering. When the seats are sold out with one consolidator that does not mean the others don't have seats on other flights.

If you rang the airline direct you would be shocked at the full economy fare. I have done this in the past.

It is really luck of the draw but plenty of searching the web and also can be worth phoning round (most agents offer a discount for internet bookings)

Jo
Old Jun 5th 2003, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stoney is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Thanks in advance

Mel

Hi,
Somebody posted this website on a similar post not long ago,
It looks good to me.
We havent booked yet as house has just gone on market.

http://www.leestravel.com/
Old Jun 6th 2003, 10:47 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all your replies, but my problem has been solved. Last December I was given a £500 travel voucher from my work. It is for a corporate travel firm (Portman Travel) and their prices seem to be very expensive, so I was not going to use it. Previous experience trying to book things through them is that there prices are more than £500 over and above what I have been quoted elsewhere.

However I gave them a call and as it turns out they do a lot of one way migrants flights. They quoted me about £500pp plus tax from Glasgow to Melbuorne. Taking into account my voucher this means we will only have to spend about £500 on flights. Result!
Old Jun 6th 2003, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

thewoods is an unknown quantity at this point

i booked with malaysian airlines through www.wefly.co.uk 30 kg baggage - ours is return for october but because we have recieved the visa we are going one way - i rung to enquire on prices one way and was quoted £435.00 for adult and £305 for child - unfortunatley it would cost me£250 per person to alter the booking from return to one way so leaving it as it is
Old Jun 6th 2003, 1:37 pm
tia
Forum Regular

tia is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi just booked ours 4 adult tickets as kids are 15 and 18.to perth 15th aug as prices drop slightly with some agents around that time......cost £442.00 each including taxes one way to perth...flying with singapore airlines....booked through travelbag.Phoned loads of places and these were the best prices going,and also good prices for stop overs.......