Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Who`s Done The Self Build??????????

Who`s Done The Self Build??????????

Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:11 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Who`s Done The Self Build??????????

What are the implications, Pro`s Con`s of doing a Self Build in Perth?

I`m looking for as many comments/opinions on every aspect from funding to design and who can build what( Deoes a joiner have to do the Kit? can i do it myself?)

I am project managing a self build for the family at the moment and i have done most of the work up t now from doing foundations to erecting kit to wind/water tight, Planning to do roof in the next week or so, then doing the outer skin blockwork then eventually to all............ PWWWWw to put it simply i will be doing the lot except Electricals/Gas

Now! the house is excactly as i would like to build in OZ ( Yes! i helped with the design too! What was i thinking? )

Anyway i think everyone will get the point here so what are the implications, can i do the same over there?
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:03 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who`s Done The Self Build??????????

Hiya,

Try this link :-

www.brb.org.au/OwnerBuilder.htm

Explains much of what you are after I think
Old Mar 10th 2006, 11:45 am
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute

thanks, Good Info

Originally Posted by Centurion
Hiya,

Try this link :-

www.brb.org.au/OwnerBuilder.htm

Explains much of what you are after I think
Old Mar 10th 2006, 9:54 pm
Forum Regular

Koala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant futureKoala Konnection has a brilliant future

We didn't self-build, but we did get someone to build the house for us (nearly finished) and we've photographed and written about the process on our web site www.koalakonnection.com.au

You've probably seen it all before, but there might be something on it that grabs your attention. What I do know is that there is a "builder's margin" of 20% on everything, so roughly there is 20% to be saved plus the cost of a project manager less those little jobs that you can't do.

However, Australia is very strict on what you can and cannot do here in the building trade. Just bear that in mind.

Hope the info helps.

Paul
www.koalakonnection.com.au
Home is where you build it
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

brasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant futurebrasso has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sunny_Glesga
What are the implications, Pro`s Con`s of doing a Self Build in Perth?

I`m looking for as many comments/opinions on every aspect from funding to design and who can build what( Deoes a joiner have to do the Kit? can i do it myself?)

I am project managing a self build for the family at the moment and i have done most of the work up t now from doing foundations to erecting kit to wind/water tight, Planning to do roof in the next week or so, then doing the outer skin blockwork then eventually to all............ PWWWWw to put it simply i will be doing the lot except Electricals/Gas

Now! the house is excactly as i would like to build in OZ ( Yes! i helped with the design too! What was i thinking? )
Hi....we are in the middle of a self build ourselves. We live on the Sunshine Coast in Queensland...i dont know whether the regulations are different in Perth...however in QLD you have to go on a self builders course to obtain a certificate and permit number. However, if you have a trade(my husband is a spark) you dont have to go on course you apply for your cert giving them your trade details. So far my husband has done everything himself...we designed the house ourselves and got a draftsman to officially draw it up...then for speed we went through a private certifier who puts it very quickly through council(2 weeks). Ozzies like to give a lot of advise and we have listened to it all and done what we thought best...we just have the roof on and are getting to the nice part now. Ours is on stilts with metal and wood cladding as we are in the rain forest. We have to get a plumber in (my husbands mate is one so he just wants a keg of beer for his work) and my husband will do the electrics...only thing is you can only do a self build here every 5 or 6 years(cant remember which)...we got a quote from a builder to build the house which he quoted $460,000....we are well within our budget of $200,000 and that includes a swimming pool. So yes, if you have the know how you certainly save a lot of money...but cant do it loads of times unless you get a builders contractors licence. You have to have a licence for everything here!!!! Hope this helps. Maggie
Anyway i think everyone will get the point here so what are the implications, can i do the same over there?
see above....slotted it in the wrong place...story of my life!!!!!!!!!!!!