Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

White tail spiders in Nelson!

White tail spiders in Nelson!

Old Aug 23rd 2003, 11:00 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default White tail spiders in Nelson!

Ok, I'm new to the area, but from comparison to photos on the web, it seems that we have quite a few white tail spiders around the garden.
They are only about 20-25cm, is this right, i'm not in a panic as they don't bother me personally, but sue is a bit concerned. I hear manuka honey is good if you get bitten.

I noticed them as i was admiring the wonderful view from our deck, across Nelson bay to the mountains!!
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 11:41 am
Forum Regular

grahamclan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: White tail spiders in Nelson!

Originally posted by garrisondamn
Ok, I'm new to the area, but from comparison to photos on the web, it seems that we have quite a few white tail spiders around the garden.
They are only about 20-25cm, is this right, i'm not in a panic as they don't bother me personally, but sue is a bit concerned. I hear manuka honey is good if you get bitten.

I noticed them as i was admiring the wonderful view from our deck, across Nelson bay to the mountains!!
http://www.tepapa.govt.nz/our_resour...hite_tail.html

I assume you meant 20-25 mm, not 20-25 cm On this website, it mentions some are established in Nelson & also says the bite is pretty harmless.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 9:18 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

You have'nt been down the west coast yet have you!Haast,Bruces Bay and many other places down there have an insect problem thats huge...the ickle sand fly.They don't hurt when they bite but when theres so many that you can see swarms of what looks like clouds of dust,but its sand flies.We origonally wanted to buy on the west coast but after only a few days we realised we just could'nt live with them.Its so bad that i said if all of NZ had this problem i just would'nt live here.After one hour in shorts and a short sleeve shirt i had over 50 bites,all itching like mad,but that was really bad for them that day...humid.The Catlins has quite a few sand flies too,and Fiordland breeds them i think

None up here though,phew