Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

White Goods - Buy here or Australia?

White Goods - Buy here or Australia?

Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default White Goods - Buy here or Australia?

Hi

We are off to OZ in October and I am wondering whether I should buy a new washing machine here in the UK or wait until we get there?

Shipping isn't a problem as there is room in the container

Any ideas anyone?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 6:23 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: White Goods - Buy here or Australia?

hiya....check out www.thegoodguys.com.au which will give you an idea of what you can get and for how much. They also give you good discounts if you pay cash (which also means bak cheque...ie not credit)
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:28 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends where you land a lot of QLD doing rebate off washers to save water and they sell water saving washers you may not get in UK. We brought our massive washer and now have to have it on the bore to save water.

Don't think there is quite as much choice in appliances here.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
Depends where you land a lot of QLD doing rebate off washers to save water and they sell water saving washers you may not get in UK. We brought our massive washer and now have to have it on the bore to save water.

Don't think there is quite as much choice in appliances here.
We will be on the Sunshine Coast
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

tabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to beholdtabby is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kevinbloomfield
We will be on the Sunshine Coast
Then you will get a rebate on a water saving washer and it seems that top loaders are the thing over here $959.00 for a 7.5kg top load washer which senses how many clothes are in the washer and put the correct amount of water in instead of filling to the top the washer was up for $1250 + you would know get a further $200 rebate from the government. So you could pay as little as £324.00 .

Martin
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:40 pm
BuggerMan

The Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of lightThe Norwegian is a glorious beacon of light

I don't know if it is me, but I am not impressed with the top loaders. They use a lot of water and just rotate the clothes back and forth in lots of water, I like the front loaders better. Get one in the UK. They are not to common here. I think you can get a better deal in the UK.

Anyway, what the hell do I know. I only live in the Saudi Arabia of the Scandinavia

Erik the Oil Sheik
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:52 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are off to OZ in October and I am wondering whether I should buy a new washing machine here in the UK or wait until we get there?

Any ideas anyone?
buy a good condensor dryer before u come....dryers r tiny and expensive here and yes u do need them
Old Jul 25th 2006, 10:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Norwegian
I don't know if it is me, but I am not impressed with the top loaders. They use a lot of water and just rotate the clothes back and forth in lots of water, I like the front loaders better. Get one in the UK. They are not to common here. I think you can get a better deal in the UK.

Anyway, what the hell do I know. I only live in the Saudi Arabia of the Scandinavia

Erik the Oil Sheik
We got ours fro the good guys a Samsung front loader $450 after rebate, most washers seem to be on par with Uk prices. Get them out here as your uk warranty won't be any good here.

John
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:11 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I think WMs are still more expensive in Aus. I would avoid a top loader as they tend to damage clothes quickly and don't seem to clean too well. Front loaders are increasingly available here and you probably could get one from about $700 but that would be with a slower spin speed than you would get in the UK for the same money. Top end front loading WMs are up to $1800. Combined WM/Dryers are rare as hen's teeth.

Most Australian homes have a separate laundry often near one of the bathrooms. Typically, but not always, there'll be space for separate WM and Dryer. A dryer is required even in Brisbane IMO, especially during winter or the three weeks of rain we get in the summer - clothes don't dry easily indoors when humidity is at 98%.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Any ideas anyone?
I too am not a fan of top loaders. If you are after a front loader European brand I would buy it before you come out. I did for GBP300 - out here the nearest model is $1300. And I also believe that the Bosch is made somewhere in Asia and the quality control is not as good as those made in the EU.

HTH
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
hiya....check out www.thegoodguys.com.au which will give you an idea of what you can get and for how much. They also give you good discounts if you pay cash (which also means bak cheque...ie not credit)
if you are spending big money in the Good Guys they will still give you money off paying by credit card. This is because most eftpos cards won't allow you to spend over $1000. We got nearly $500 of a plasma TV at the weekend and we paid by credit card.

I would say buy the washer here in Australia only due to the fact of the warranty. You don't want to be lumbered with a knackered UK washing machine and no way of getting it fixed. You will pay a bit more I think but if it goes wrong then at least you have piece of mind.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 12:55 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Norwegian

Erik the Oil Sheik
Top loaders do not clean the clothes as well as front loaders, because of their action I believe. However you do get more clothes in you average top-loader, but that's about all.

To the thread starter:

Best to try & get an "Aussie" brand front-loader, the parts if you need them will be much easier to get & cheaper too.

We ourselves have not got round to buying a machine for our rental place yet, took our stuff to the local laundrette and never before I have seen our clothes so clean.

Jesus Christ. I'm getting old & talking drivel.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

I've got a Samsung top loader and it is absolutely crap! It doesn't get out any stains at all, not even everyday kids stains. It also makes the clothes look 10 years old after 3 washes. I bought mine from the people we bought the house from and I think it was mainly for the novelty factor, in hindsight I wish I'd gone and bought a front loader.

Jo
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:18 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clougherty family
I've got a Samsung top loader and it is absolutely crap! It doesn't get out any stains at all, not even everyday kids stains. It also makes the clothes look 10 years old after 3 washes. I bought mine from the people we bought the house from and I think it was mainly for the novelty factor, in hindsight I wish I'd gone and bought a front loader.

Jo
It's not only the washing action of the top loader that won't get the stains out - it is also the fact that the washing powders out here are crap. The manufacturers are not allowed to put an ingredient in which makes them more effective. Hence the prevalence of detergent "boosters" in Oz (the addition of which still doesn't make that much difference IMHO!).
Old Jul 26th 2006, 1:19 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the argument about top loaders. We used one when we first got here and it cleaned as well as any front loader I have ever had. Brought my front loader with us but only because it's a Bosch and was only just over a year old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.