White Cars

Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default White Cars

I was told that there is a real overdose of white cars in Aus, and this is beause it reflects the heat and other car colours tend to fade in the extreme heat.

Is this true?
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:46 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: White Cars

Yes that is true - though while there are more white cars than you would expect - its not like there is an overdose of them

And if you had sat in a black car for a few hours while the sun is beating down and the temp is over 100 - you would know why

~Sean

Originally posted by podgypossum
I was told that there is a real overdose of white cars in Aus, and this is beause it reflects the heat and other car colours tend to fade in the extreme heat.

Is this true?
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:50 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

ok...but is it also true that the colours fade on other cars??
Old Oct 19th 2003, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

SeanH is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not really sure on that one ( but is probably true ) - I think the reason is more the reflectiveness of White.

~Sean

Originally posted by podgypossum
ok...but is it also true that the colours fade on other cars??
Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:27 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

thats because white des not absorb uv rays,it reflects unlike red as blue which absorbs them.Green is pretty neutral i think.This is what causes paint to fade,not the absorbtion of heat which black is the best.(i think i remember this right from some science techi when i worked with Land Rover)
All car paints are now water based and all fade quite dramatically now,unlike 20 years ago when they had alsorts of chemicals in them,however if you just wash your car once a fortnight in a wax wash it will never be a problem no matter how much sun its in.If you wash your car in direct sunlight it causes the most damage as the water droplets beading magnify the suns rays in spots on your paint....which buggers it
more usless information from Deedee
Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:01 pm
Badge

mate I like your car advice, no worries. Hadn't thought about the sun damage aspect though - I know that you shouldn't wax a car in the sun!

I have a 15 year old Essex girl white BMW which, as I wax once a week still is WHITE. People can't believe it is 15 years old. No rust on any panel.

Apparently a lot of manus add an extra layer for white jobs as well.

Badge

Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

brummie bird is on a distinguished road

when I went to Perth earlier this year, there were a lot of furry dashboards, I was thinking they were all a bit 70's regect and a bit sad, only to find that it gets so hot that plastic dashboards can melt!!!!!

Angie
Old Oct 19th 2003, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

Originally posted by brummie bird
when I went to Perth earlier this year, there were a lot of furry dashboards, I was thinking they were all a bit 70's regect and a bit sad, only to find that it gets so hot that plastic dashboards can melt!!!!!

Angie
I expect they have furry steering wheel covers as well then!!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:38 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Originally posted by tinaj
I expect they have furry steering wheel covers as well then!!

Yeah and no end of folk have furry seat covers?????!!!!!! TRUE!

Di
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:41 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Yeah and no end of folk have furry seat covers?????!!!!!! TRUE!

Di
I feel strange for not having seat covers. Furry leapard skin and cow skin covers are also popular.
Old Oct 20th 2003, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Saw furry dice in a white car yesterday!

Loopy
Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:07 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by brummie bird

Angie

When I bought my car it had a 'carpet dashboard' which I quickly removed. Apparently they have this to stop the sun fading the black, but I would rather have a faded dash than a carpeted one!
Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

You got a problem with fluffy dice? (In a distinct Phil Mitchell voice)
Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:20 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by janeyray
When I bought my car it had a 'carpet dashboard' which I quickly removed. Apparently they have this to stop the sun fading the black, but I would rather have a faded dash than a carpeted one!
They are to stop the dashboard splitting apart in the sun. Would you rather have a split dashboard or have your car look a bit uncool?
Old Oct 20th 2003, 3:23 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally posted by renth
They are to stop the dashboard splitting apart in the sun. Would you rather have a split dashboard or have your car look a bit uncool?

yeh, I'd rather have a split dashboard.

If thats the case then, why hasn't EVERY SINGLE car got them, or do they also prefer split dash boards?

I take it you have one in your car then?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.