Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:57 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whether to do the move or not- oz the good bad and ugly needed!

There are no right or wrong decisions just paths taken and experiences to be had.

Pick a path and commit to it fully.

And pick Oz because the UK is shit.

Old Aug 11th 2011, 9:58 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Only bored people are boring and a bird in the hand is worth slightly less than $1US.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:07 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Will you regret it later in life and think "what if?"
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:08 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Try telling that to the billions of dirt poor people on this rock.

When we were kids we never even had dirt.........
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:09 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really, it wasn't a bird I wanted even for a dollar.

Originally Posted by Bix
Will you regret it later in life and think "what if?"
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by chris955
Not really, it wasn't a bird I wanted even for a dollar.
Not a looker then?
No good with a brown bag on it's head?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:16 am
Banned

A double bagger at least.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

If you move to Sydney or Melbourne it's like being in London with all the good and bad. I lived in a village in England and I wish I'd lived in London for a couple of years before moving to Sydney.

It's not a cultural desert here and there are plenty of theatres, music, museums. Do a Google search and see what comes up. Belvoir St Theatre, Seymour Centre, Sydney Opera House, Sydney Enterntainment Centre. Sydney Theatre Co, Wharf Theatre, NADA theatres in Kensington - where the acting students go, part of UNSW (I think?) Whenever I go for a walk around the inner city I keep seeing new galleries, museums etc I didn't know existed - White Rabbit Gallery - like a mini Tate Modern, Nicolson Museum in Sydney Uni - Egyptology - I'd never seen a 'real' Mummy before and it was free to get in.

Australia has over 200 years of European History (not forgetting the Aborigines of course.) Many of our favourite historical dramas are set in the period since Australia was settled - Jane Austen, Dickens, Trollope. There are plenty of Georgian and Victorian buildings here

Eating out is a joy of course, bound to be in a city of four million people from all over the world. Right outside my door are Spanish, Lebanese, Turkish, Indian, Thai, Indonesian, coffee shops galore. You get excellent meals in most of the pubs too.

In many ways I prefer the winter weather to the summer as I don't like getting burnt. In summer I go to the beach in the later arvo/evenings. In winter I carry on swimming - it's chill but not FREEZING, not unlike Cornwall in summer. I'm swimming at Redleaf in Rose Bay at the moment and most days it's very warm in the sun as it' sheltered from the southern winds.

In England I was only interested in football but living here I've got three other codes to watch - AFL, NRL, RU.

The schools and unis are as good as you'd get in Europe or the US.

Spiders and Snakes? I hate 'em too but it's on the roads you really have to worry and my beach has a full shark net.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 8:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Dorothy; Aug 13th 2011 at 8:56 am. Reason: meh.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:40 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Over what must be a few years now I have to admit to feeling a strong unity with Dorothy's point of view.

Who could argue with this one?
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
Over what must be a few years now I have to admit to feeling a strong unity with Dorothy's point of view.

Oh, I'm sure somebody could!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:51 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by Wendy
Oh, I'm sure somebody could!
Stop it!
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:55 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

I was going to post a sensible answer, but I see that a number of others have already beat me to it.

I'm sure there will be someone along soon to tell me I'm wrong.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

odyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to beholdodyssey is a splendid one to behold

I love it here. I havent always but I have found now my forever home. And if I didnt, I would just go home. Like its just an airfare away, my kids would be fine. And if that didnt work I would come back. or go somewhere else.

I think for me, being from a place where people stay forever (so I will always belong there even if I stay away for 20 years - people will just turn around and say " I told you she wouldnt stay out there") gives a lovely security blanket.

I just cant see what woudl tempt me back now though, for me my life is so much better here in every way. Although my life there was good at the time
Old Aug 13th 2011, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Like It Is will become famous soon enough

I remember having said doubts 5 years ago.Decided i would regret not trying and so glad i came.We are happy here and life still throws curved balls at you whereever you are.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.