Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where's the best place in Perth to live...

Where's the best place in Perth to live...

Old Sep 16th 2007, 1:14 pm
Just Joined

CandiceM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where's the best place in Perth to live...

... for a youngish family Husband(32), Me(27), Son (4). My husband will be working in the CBD, I will be staying at home, but will need to be very close to some good scrapbooking shops to feed my habit. Preferably close to the beach and near public transport (especially for my husband to get to work). We are looking at paying a max of $400 a week.
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where's the best place in Perth to live...

Originally Posted by CandiceM
... for a youngish family Husband(32), Me(27), Son (4). My husband will be working in the CBD, I will be staying at home, but will need to be very close to some good scrapbooking shops to feed my habit. Preferably close to the beach and near public transport (especially for my husband to get to work). We are looking at paying a max of $400 a week.

Are you seeking a rental property or something to purchase?
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Sheffield (UK) -> Kitchener (Canada) -> Perth (Aus)
DimWit17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bobcat
Are you seeking a rental property or something to purchase?
We are also in the same boat and looking around Scarborough/ Wembley/ innaloo area
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

[My son is Inaloo, its very nice.
Maybe we should tell you places to avoid, that might be more helpful.
My son lived in Ashfield for a while, it was just awful.
Denise
Old Sep 16th 2007, 2:53 pm
Just Joined

We looking at renting for now. We looking at a three bedroomed home, not to picky whether its a duplex, stand alone house etc. Another question, what exactly is a villa. i see that this is an option when viewing rental properties online.
Thanks
Old Sep 16th 2007, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud ofWandathecat has much to be proud of

Hi

I recently spent 2 whole weeks touring Perth looking at areas to live. We did not look directly around the CBD but in the suburbs and further. If you are looking at the beach areas then pretty much anything up the north coast is fine.

Scarb, Innaloo, Butler, Clarkson, Mindaire. The only thing for me is a lot of the 'burbs' are a bit sterile....everything is the same (totally personnal to me) but it is great for familiesand has everything you could possibly need.

If you want something a little different the Midland, Swan valley area is good and reasonable.

If your looking more rural, the areas out towards Mudaring in the hills are just fab. But they can be pricey. All have pretty good links into the city.

Hope that helps

Cx
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Hi, sounds like we're in a similar boat. I have been looking at a couple of estate agent websites just so we can see what we can get for our money.

We have a similar wish list to you. We are starting out in Sorrento when we get to Oz (in under 4 weeks now!!!!! Getting really nervous)
We need the links to the CDB too for OH and I'd like to be near stuff for exploring.

We've been advised on places like Doubleview, Scarborough and Subiaco, so will be checking them out first. OH doesn't really want an hour commute like he has had to Cardiff and Bristol from our house!!!

Good luck. Louise
Old Sep 16th 2007, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolBeary
Hi, sounds like we're in a similar boat. I have been looking at a couple of estate agent websites just so we can see what we can get for our money.

We have a similar wish list to you. We are starting out in Sorrento when we get to Oz (in under 4 weeks now!!!!! Getting really nervous)
We need the links to the CDB too for OH and I'd like to be near stuff for exploring.

We've been advised on places like Doubleview, Scarborough and Subiaco, so will be checking them out first. OH doesn't really want an hour commute like he has had to Cardiff and Bristol from our house!!!

Good luck. Louise
What sort of a price range are you in?
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the input everyone we are covered for the first 4 weeks as Steve's new company puts us up in a furnished apartment (I have no idea where it is though) So basically we have to be out by the 15th Dec, surely that can't be a good time to move? Granted we will have nothing to move, as we opted to leave everything back here in SA and start there afresh. I also wonder if we will get our new furniture in time for Christmas. Oh yes I think if I get a bed for christmas this year I will be VERY grateful Well I supposeI was the one who said sure lets go it will be FUN I have a feeling those words will become infamous, and we will have the story that goes remember the Christmas we moved to Perth with basically the clothes on our back and a couple thousand South African rands Of yeah this is going to be LOTS of fun
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:08 pm
Account Closed

BristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud ofBristolBeary has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bobcat
What sort of a price range are you in?
We are looking to spend up to $400 per week, looking at most types of home. Ideally would like a 3 bed place and somewhere suitable for a 2 year old with good transport links to the CDB.

Not asking too much are we?????!!!
Old Sep 16th 2007, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

Hi Louise,
have you looked at www.reiwa.com yet for listings. Our problem is we don't know when exactly we are coming. Steve's company is organising everything including booking the flights. Do you know if there are any mommy and me type of groups out there? At the moment Luke goes to pre-school but I am going to wait till next year till I think of enrolling him in anything, I still though want to do age appropiate activities with him, any ideas.
candice
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for the input everyone we are covered for the first 4 weeks as Steve's new company puts us up in a furnished apartment (I have no idea where it is though) So basically we have to be out by the 15th Dec, surely that can't be a good time to move? Granted we will have nothing to move, as we opted to leave everything back here in SA and start there afresh. I also wonder if we will get our new furniture in time for Christmas. Oh yes I think if I get a bed for christmas this year I will be VERY grateful Well I supposeI was the one who said sure lets go it will be FUN I have a feeling those words will become infamous, and we will have the story that goes remember the Christmas we moved to Perth with basically the clothes on our back and a couple thousand South African rands Of yeah this is going to be LOTS of fun
You will be fine................. a long time ago I came to Perth for a 3 month boliday from Johannesburg..................... and I never went back?

I back-packed through India and Nepal en-route here; fell in love with Perth and now call it home.

I didn't know anyone.............. not a soul? But the natives weren't going to speak Afrikaans and it wasn't a requirement for me to be bi-lingual to get on up the ladder........ so I was laughing? You will be too!

For anyone that is prepared to give it a go and roll their sleeves up and do a bit of work............ well the sky is the limit.

I'm sure you will enjoy life down-under. I loved Africa............. it was magic; but I love Australia more!
Old Sep 17th 2007, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

We looking at renting for now. We looking at a three bedroomed home, not to picky whether its a duplex, stand alone house etc. Another question, what exactly is a villa. i see that this is an option when viewing rental properties online.
Thanks
A Villa is a dwelling that sits within a cluster of other dwellings on a Strata Title.

What's a Strata Title you might well ask?