Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where's the best place to live on the Gold Coast?

Where's the best place to live on the Gold Coast?

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:05 pm
Just Joined

Ads & Charlie is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Where's the best place to live on the Gold Coast?

Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on where the best places are to live on the Goldcoast.
I have my permenent residence visa and arrive in March to start my new life. However, as yet I am clueless about where to stay. I am on a modest budget and need to find work when I arrive.
Any suggestions from all and sundry would be most appreciated as currently I am going to have to jump in my rental car and wing it.

Thanks for listening and good luck to all those of you that are suffering the agony of waiting for the postie every morning. I remember how draining it was. Believe me the day you get a yes makes it all worth while.

Take Care
Ads
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:10 pm
ad4ozz

Default Re: Where's the best place to live on the Gold Coast?

i'd be interested in your replies as hoping to get to Brisbane/Gold Coast late summerish.

Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ad4ozz
i'd be interested in your replies as hoping to get to Brisbane/Gold Coast late summerish.
Will let you know if i find out anything of interest.
Cheers
Ads
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:35 pm
Account Closed

Nicstids is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ads & Charlie
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if anyone has any advice on where the best places are to live on the Goldcoast.
I have my permenent residence visa and arrive in March to start my new life. However, as yet I am clueless about where to stay. I am on a modest budget and need to find work when I arrive.
Any suggestions from all and sundry would be most appreciated as currently I am going to have to jump in my rental car and wing it.

Thanks for listening and good luck to all those of you that are suffering the agony of waiting for the postie every morning. I remember how draining it was. Believe me the day you get a yes makes it all worth while.

Take Care
Ads
I've just bought this book

http://www.goldcoastaustralia.com/106506.php

Didn't take too long to arrive from Aus. It's really good, written by an expat too....
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 6:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nicstids
I've just bought this book

http://www.goldcoastaustralia.com/106506.php

Didn't take too long to arrive from Aus. It's really good, written by an expat too....
Thats great. Thanks for the advice i will be buying it tonight.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 8:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of
Wink Re: Where's the best place to live on the Gold Coast?

Hi Everyone

Take Care
Ads
were also going to the gold coast around august the areas we were looking at were robina, varisty lakes, miami, but since the last time i went these have gone way up in value , so now looking at merrimac and other various areas, which are still nice , like all places there are good and bad areas,but i still say the bad areas in oz are way better than the bad areas in the uk, so good look with the choices that you make i hope it works out for you.
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 8:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by karenjc
were also going to the gold coast around august the areas we were looking at were robina, varisty lakes, miami, but since the last time i went these have gone way up in value , so now looking at merrimac and other various areas, which are still nice , like all places there are good and bad areas,but i still say the bad areas in oz are way better than the bad areas in the uk, so good look with the choices that you make i hope it works out for you.
Thanks for the advice. I may have a look at Merrimac to see what its like. I have never even taken a holiday in Aus, so it is a complete unknown to me. But somehow I know that it will be fantastic.

I hope all goes well with your application.
Cheers
Ads
Old Jan 22nd 2005, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

Hi Everyone

Take Care
Ads
don,t want to state the obvious but have you found a good real estate site as these give you a fair idea of the current good areas ( ie the more expensive the better the area in my view ) i accept this is not always true but i do think it is a fair guide to the market.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:19 am
BE Enthusiast

bezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of lightbezzanbob is a glorious beacon of light

Dear All,

We lived in Parkwood for a year in the mid 90's.

The house we lived in was new with pool and surrounded by gum trees and galahs (sp?) and was re

By the end of the year it was much more developed and on our last visit had really begun to sprwal out but I would recommend the northern areas of the GC. We found Southport to have a bit more about it than Surfers and the newer areas further south. Brissie was of course that much closer as well.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 12:44 am
Jonah & Suzie's Daddy!!!

Sir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud ofSir Les Patterson has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Where's the best place to live on the Gold Coast?

Thanks for the advice. I may have a look at Merrimac to see what its like. I have never even taken a holiday in Aus, so it is a complete unknown to me. But somehow I know that it will be fantastic.

I hope all goes well with your application.
Cheers
Ads
hi ..... if you are looking for work there are loads of jobs around the surfers paradise area and loads of places to find somewhere cheap to live close by all the best and hope to be there next year
Old Apr 6th 2005, 7:12 am
Arriving in GC 12th Jan

elksa will become famous soon enoughelksa will become famous soon enough

Hi Everyone

Take Care
Ads
We'll be heading to the GC in June and have done quite a lot of research on various areas. We're planning on moving to the northern end so we're that little bit closer to Brisbane. Areas we've been looking at are Commera, Upper Commera, Helensvale, etc... There's a good write up on Coomera in the book suggested above.

Obviously where you move is likely going to depend on your budget. The closer to the sea you get the more expensive it gets. Coomera appears to be nicely situated for driving into the centre of the GC but also within our budget and easy motorway access to Brisbane.

Good luck with your choice. Definetly get the book above as it will really help.