Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where are you moving to

Where are you moving to

Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:30 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Where are you moving to

I have decided to move to Canberra (yes I know a lot of people think BORING , but I dont).

I have started to notice that more and more postings are not mentioning the main places like Perth.

Where are people moving to and how did they come to that decision. I have been wondering about this because there are so many amazing places to live and I wonder if it is because there are other brits there or for some other reason.

I chose Canberra because it is a city in oz I havent lived in ( i have lived in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney - albeit in my late teens and early 20s pre 22). It is great for kids ( I have a 7 yr old) It has the types of jobs I want -sorry to admit I am a civil servant (but not one as you know it), very clean, has distitive seasons and it is close to other major cities.

I was in Canberra for three days in the winter of 2004 and as soon as I was there on the first day I realised that was where I wanted to live. Can't explain what it was about the place, but something told me this was where I should be. This bearing in mind that I was only visiting Oz to see my family for a holiday - I never had any intention of ever returning to Oz.

how about everyone else
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where are you moving to

Originally Posted by killamarsh
I have decided to move to Canberra (yes I know a lot of people think BORING , but I dont).

I have started to notice that more and more postings are not mentioning the main places like Perth.

Where are people moving to and how did they come to that decision. I have been wondering about this because there are so many amazing places to live and I wonder if it is because there are other brits there or for some other reason.

I chose Canberra because it is a city in oz I havent lived in ( i have lived in Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney - albeit in my late teens and early 20s pre 22). It is great for kids ( I have a 7 yr old) It has the types of jobs I want -sorry to admit I am a civil servant (but not one as you know it), very clean, has distitive seasons and it is close to other major cities.

I was in Canberra for three days in the winter of 2004 and as soon as I was there on the first day I realised that was where I wanted to live. Can't explain what it was about the place, but something told me this was where I should be. This bearing in mind that I was only visiting Oz to see my family for a holiday - I never had any intention of ever returning to Oz.

how about everyone else
We are going to Adelaide. When we first started it is where we had to go as we were looking at a STNI Visa at first, however when the MODL list was updated last year my hubby's profession was added giving us enough points to go anywhere.

We are still going there, because I have an Aunt and some cousins there, that I haven't seen for a lot of years, so thought it was as good a place as any.

Good luck with your move.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

stacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond reputestacey and jordan has a reputation beyond repute

how about everyone else
We are hopefully heading to the Gold Coast. Never been to Oz so to choose a destination was quite difficult, but by reading lots of post on here the Gold Coast seems to be what we are looking for and i do think the fact that alot of post i read when i first joined BE were from people from the Gold Coast which steered me towards this destination. If we don't like it we will just move on, until we find some where we can call home.

Stacey xx
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

I thought half the people on this forum are going to Perth
Old Apr 16th 2006, 7:56 pm
Back in OZ!

ElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond reputeElshaUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Luma
I thought half the people on this forum are going to Perth
Back to Perth for me
Old Apr 16th 2006, 8:38 pm
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

A year ago I though that too. However, recently you will notice that many people are talking about places away from major cities.
Old Apr 16th 2006, 9:10 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

We are going to the Gold Coast in approx. 5/6 wks!
Old Apr 16th 2006, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

richard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud ofrichard-elly has much to be proud of

We moved to Anglesea, Victoria nearly 5 mths ago. It is lovely here. We had never been to Oz before and picked it randomly with a little help from an Aussie couple we bumped into in a Irish pub whilst holidaying there, who came from Geelong of all places! I have been on a mission to promote Anglesea as I can't believe it has gone undiscovered for so long. Ok not all places are for everyone, I know that, but we think we hit the jackpot!