Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Where are you heading in Oz?

Where are you heading in Oz?

Old May 16th 2010, 6:31 pm
Wjuicypeach

Wjuicypeach has a spectacular aura aboutWjuicypeach has a spectacular aura aboutWjuicypeach has a spectacular aura about
Default Where are you heading in Oz?

Where are you going to live?/ Where do you live in Oz? And what made you choose it? I'm very nosey.....
Old May 16th 2010, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

suzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to beholdsuzanne7575 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Where are you heading in Oz?

My first choice is Cairns, but I am happy to go to Townsvilleor Brisbane or another city within Queensland

As for why I have chosen it, i guess it is just research and talking to people and I like the sound of the queensland lifestyle, and of course the weather too. I think it will be somewhere that will suit my family. I have never been though we are planning on looking at it as a big 2/3 yr working holiday/adventure and if we love it we will stay, if we don't we will come home, we don't own a home here in teh UK so it's not as if we are selling up etc in order to go
Old May 16th 2010, 7:12 pm
Wjuicypeach

Wjuicypeach has a spectacular aura aboutWjuicypeach has a spectacular aura aboutWjuicypeach has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by suzanne7575
My first choice is Cairns, but I am happy to go to Townsvilleor Brisbane or another city within Queensland

As for why I have chosen it, i guess it is just research and talking to people and I like the sound of the queensland lifestyle, and of course the weather too. I think it will be somewhere that will suit my family. I have never been though we are planning on looking at it as a big 2/3 yr working holiday/adventure and if we love it we will stay, if we don't we will come home, we don't own a home here in teh UK so it's not as if we are selling up etc in order to go
It was originally Queensland I wanted to go for similar reasons to yourself but we have opted for Perth. The reason being I have a good friend there and my hubby thinks it's better for me to be near her as I have no family there. I visited in November to validate the visa and really liked it, it was totally different from what I expected, not all in a positive way, but seemed to offer a much better lifestyle for my kid's. You have the right attitude about giving it a go and even better that you don't need to sell a house at the mo. Thanks for your bit.
Old May 16th 2010, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

I'm planning on going to the most expensive place to live in the world apparently - Sydney! My OH is an Aussie who was born and brought up there so that's why we're moving back there next year. Despite the expense I'm looking forward to living there. Having visited several times and having experienced each of the four seasons I am happy to be going to Sydney. I also believe that being close to my OH's family and friends may help us to settle
Old May 16th 2010, 7:24 pm
Wjuicypeach

Originally Posted by Mazza12
I'm planning on going to the most expensive place to live in the world apparently - Sydney! My OH is an Aussie who was born and brought up there so that's why we're moving back there next year. Despite the expense I'm looking forward to living there. Having visited several times and having experienced each of the four seasons I am happy to be going to Sydney. I also believe that being close to my OH's family and friends may help us to settle
Definetly a bonus to have other's to help.
Old May 16th 2010, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mazza12
If I were you I would be moving at least 6 hours away from the inlaws and all his mates. They may be absolutely super people (as are my inlaws) but it skews the relationship and there will be times, especially with kids, when you resent the fact that they have it all and your folks have nothing. Far better to be you and him and your own little unit against the world than you against him and his. Dont underestimate the power of resentment when he knows everything and everyone and you dont.

Good luck with it! And, yes, Sydney is one of the most expensive places to live so hope you both get good jobs!
Old May 17th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Mazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud ofMazza12 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by quoll
If I were you I would be moving at least 6 hours away from the inlaws and all his mates. They may be absolutely super people (as are my inlaws) but it skews the relationship and there will be times, especially with kids, when you resent the fact that they have it all and your folks have nothing. Far better to be you and him and your own little unit against the world than you against him and his. Dont underestimate the power of resentment when he knows everything and everyone and you dont.

Good luck with it! And, yes, Sydney is one of the most expensive places to live so hope you both get good jobs!
Interesting comments quoll - sounds like you're talking from experience? My partner has been living here with me and my family and friends in Scotland for the last 4 years. He was very proactive in making his own friends through work and joining a local cricket team (yeah they actually do play cricket in Scotland:-) to avoid the problems that you highlight. I also plan to be very proactive in making my own circle of friends when I move to Sydney. I feel that I am going into this move with my eyes wide open mostly due to research and reading the realistic (and often negative) comments on this forum. I don't expect it to be easy, in fact, some days I wonder what the hell I'm thinking of - giving up very good jobs, a lovely house and fantastic family and friends. But I'm not prepared to live the rest of my life wondering "what if" so I'm going to give it a go! Thanks for your comments - all perspectives and experiences are helpful.
Old May 17th 2010, 7:15 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wjuicypeach
It was originally Queensland I wanted to go for similar reasons to yourself but we have opted for Perth. The reason being I have a good friend there and my hubby thinks it's better for me to be near her as I have no family there. I visited in November to validate the visa and really liked it, it was totally different from what I expected, not all in a positive way, but seemed to offer a much better lifestyle for my kid's. You have the right attitude about giving it a go and even better that you don't need to sell a house at the mo. Thanks for your bit.
How was it different from what you expected?
Old May 17th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

we plan to head to Sunshine Coast, but with state of £ now have to go where the work is as will leave money in UK.

So could be Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane!

Once things settle (hopefully) and £ regains some value I can set up my own business again where we feels most comfortable.
Old May 18th 2010, 1:03 am
ABCDiamond

The weather helped me to decide where I am now

Plus proximity to water and City.

Old May 18th 2010, 1:29 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

My advice if you don't need to live in the large cities for work reasons have a look at some of the coastal country areas within 1 or 2 hours of large city. Theres some very nice places with great beaches at much more affordable prices then the cities.