Adelaide
14.47%
Darwin
0%
Hobart
0%
Melbourne
17.11%
Goin Bush......(Thats outback for all you with dirty minds!)
2.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Where are you going?

Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:19 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by bundy
Oh, I don't know...plenty of sheep and cattle stations are just getting into the whole internet thing, as are local businesses and some of the smaller rural companies wanting to set up mailorder etc. Might seem ridiculous but sometimes there's a real need for people with web skills out in the sticks

...hmm.... you know you might be on to something there. I had this mad idea a few months back of setting up my own Co. i do brochure design and production as well as web design and development. I can also turn my hand to just about anything computer wise. I'm sure a 'local lad' might stand more chance of getting that sort of work than a big nasty corporate out in the city type of firm. Who knows.

maybe it's something to look into? cheers!

leigh
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:23 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
...hmm.... you know you might be on to something there. I had this mad idea a few months back of setting up my own Co. i do brochure design and production as well as web design and development. I can also turn my hand to just about anything computer wise. I'm sure a 'local lad' might stand more chance of getting that sort of work than a big nasty corporate out in the city type of firm. Who knows.

maybe it's something to look into? cheers!

leigh
Absolutely. When I was working for a sheep station/hostel out there they spent months dithering about a possible website and had a huge lack of trust of big web design companies. They ended up employing a freelance web designer who just happened to be passing through.

Rural businesses might be a bit of an untapped market - worth investigating? After all, it's all about finding a niche, right?
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:25 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Absolutely. When I was working for a sheep station/hostel out there they spent months dithering about a possible website and had a huge lack of trust of big web design companies. They ended up employing a freelance web designer who just happened to be passing through.

Rural businesses might be a bit of an untapped market - worth investigating? After all, it's all about finding a niche, right?

you're absolutly right.... hmm, wonder how many people have read this? *looks over his shoulder and whispers*.. ok lets just keep this between me and you... we might be on to a money earner here!

Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:28 pm
She's a bird, you know

bundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond reputebundy has a reputation beyond repute

you're absolutly right.... hmm, wonder how many people have read this? *looks over his shoulder and whispers*.. ok lets just keep this between me and you... we might be on to a money earner here!

I shall expect a cut of the profits when you start raking in the millions...if you are thinking about it at all seriously there are probably some links I can think of...
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

We are off to Perth to start with, but then will move further south. We are living rural now, and I couldn't imagine living in a city or a town. Too claustrophobic for me now. Even though I was born in Birmingham. Had to go back to Brum a couple of weeks ago, nearly cacked me pants. ooh no, not for me.

Whisky
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:33 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by whisky
We are off to Perth to start with, but then will move further south. We are living rural now, and I couldn't imagine living in a city or a town. Too claustrophobic for me now. Even though I was born in Birmingham. Had to go back to Brum a couple of weeks ago, nearly cacked me pants. ooh no, not for me.

Whisky

Yay! So I'm not the only one! The city sucks, outback towns rock
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:35 pm
life begins again...

I shall expect a cut of the profits when you start raking in the millions...if you are thinking about it at all seriously there are probably some links I can think of...

if you can find them easily then i would appreciate you sending them over. If it's a big task then don't worry about it.

Thanks in either event.

....you know the more i think about it the more it seems like a serious possibility to explore so you never know, i might need a partner with some local knowledge. That's if my visa ever comes through!
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

Yay! So I'm not the only one! The city sucks, outback towns rock
To each his own, and I admire those that do, and glad that they do too, otherwise rural wouldn't be rural.

Whisky
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:37 pm
She's a bird, you know

if you can find them easily then i would appreciate you sending them over. If it's a big task then don't worry about it.

Thanks in either event.

....you know the more i think about it the more it seems like a serious possibility to explore so you never know, i might need a partner with some local knowledge. That's if my visa ever comes through!

Shall send a PM shortly...

Oh, visas, minor point. Haven't even applied for mine yet (doing de facto)
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:49 pm
life begins again...

Shall send a PM shortly...

Oh, visas, minor point. Haven't even applied for mine yet (doing de facto)
it's all fun and games... thanks again.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 9:50 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Rural Australia has a lot to gain from the web for so many things that us city folk take for granted. Sadly Telstra's service in the bush is lacking and you would be lucky to get a 22k dial connection let alone broadband.

The issue is one of the reasons preventing the full privatisation of Telstra.
Old Oct 9th 2003, 10:03 pm
Checkin' the world out.

nixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nicenixstuff is just really nice
Default FREELANCE DESIGN

Yo scutter

Just been reading your posts. I'm a freelance designer too, off to Perth Jan 2004 (with any luck). I do print, mm, web, you name it. Ex repro turned designer. Quark, Adobe, Macromedia, etc, on a G4. Thinking of setting up as a sole trader rather than with a design co., so your stuff makes interesting reading.

Seems like we're in similar positions - I'm from Stoke, so leaving this delightful provincial ex everything town to a new life down under is reason enough in itself for a change. Stoke and Doncaster were separated at birth.

Let us know how you go - good luck with the visa.

Nick
Old Oct 9th 2003, 10:04 pm
She's a bird, you know

it's all fun and games... thanks again.

OK, PM on it's way...
Old Oct 9th 2003, 10:06 pm
She's a bird, you know

Originally posted by bondipom
Rural Australia has a lot to gain from the web for so many things that us city folk take for granted. Sadly Telstra's service in the bush is lacking and you would be lucky to get a 22k dial connection let alone broadband.

The issue is one of the reasons preventing the full privatisation of Telstra.
Too true, bondipom, the bush service isn't great. Long and boring report about it here, if anyone's interested:
http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/HCC/00-13.pdf
Old Oct 9th 2003, 10:14 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Too true, bondipom, the bush service isn't great. Long and boring report about it here, if anyone's interested:
http://www.rirdc.gov.au/reports/HCC/00-13.pdf
Just saw the minimum service is 2.4 kbs. Yikes I find 56k slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.