British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Where would you go, young family, metal fabricator (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/where-would-you-go-young-family-metal-fabricator-503075/)

roxanne Jan 2nd 2008 9:33 pm

Where would you go, young family, metal fabricator

Hi, this is my first post but ive been lurking around reading everyone's threads for a little while.

Where would you recommend we moved to in OZ?

We were originally looking at Perth and i still like the look of the place but after reading some posts Im not sure its for us now.

My OH is a Metal fabricator / Boilermaker, this is a job which seems to be in demand in all the states as it is on all there sponsorship lists. My OH will be 30 by the time we can go, im 25 and we will have two young children 3 years and a 1 year old.
We have spoken to agents and they say we will have no problems getting a skilled visa.

I'll probably have plenty more questions as things progress.

suesk Jan 2nd 2008 10:01 pm

Re: Where would you go, young family, metal fabricator

Hi and welcome to BE im sorry i cant help with your qs as im still here just wanted to say good luck

Suexx

Mipik Jan 2nd 2008 10:09 pm

You may consider Adelaide.

Navy will be starting some major work on ships here soon and the pay rates are supposed to be great.

Even if hubby will not be able to get a job there due to security clearances this will attract a lot of locals leaving other jobs open.

Teabag Jan 2nd 2008 11:26 pm

There is a little heart shaped island at the bottom of Australia called Tasmania, it's a bit of a secret and special place, but we are desperate for metal workers here. It has a tiny population of 470,000 people and half the island is world heritage area, so beautiful. Well worth investigating.

Read some of the posts of happy ex-pats here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...438954&page=41

kezzabird Jan 3rd 2008 3:53 am

Defo consider Tas, we took the plunge and love it here. There is a company called Incat they are always looking for Metal workers. They build Catamarangs (not sure of spelling) for Navy and such like. We don't have a water shortage and don't get as many nasty poisonous snakes and spiders as the mainlanders. Its great for kids here, loads of open spaces and doesn't get too hot. Its very out doorsy here, people spend the weekends fishing, boating, jet skiing, surfing, sailing etc you get the picture. We also get 4 seasons, in the winter we get snow on the mountains, but rarely in the residential areas.

worzel Jan 3rd 2008 4:14 am

Originally Posted by roxanne (Post 5731151)
Hi, this is my first post but ive been lurking around reading everyone's threads for a little while.

We were originally looking at Perth and i still like the look of the place but after reading some posts Im not sure its for us now.

My OH is a Metal fabricator / Boilermaker, this is a job which seems to be in demand in all the states as it is on all there sponsorship lists. My OH will be 30 by the time we can go, im 25 and we will have two young children 3 years and a 1 year old.
We have spoken to agents and they say we will have no problems getting a skilled visa.

Don't be put off by the rubbish written on here about Perth.

Anyway, the Welshpool area would have loads of jobs in that field.:)

melaniee Jan 3rd 2008 4:19 am

What puts you off Perth ?

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5732453)
Don't be put off by the rubbish written on here about Perth.

Anyway, the Welshpool area would have loads of jobs in that field.:)

worzel Jan 3rd 2008 5:00 am

Originally Posted by melaniee (Post 5732466)
What puts you off Perth ?

Me??? Are you having a laugh? I get abuse on here because I keep banging on about how much I love the place:lol:

travelbug Jan 3rd 2008 1:02 pm

Hi there, we recently validated our PR visa's with a trip to both Perth and Tasmania. We were torn between the two places and having now visited both have decided that Tasmania is the place for us. (for many reasons including weather/properties etc)...
My OH is a Sheetmetal worker & Thermal Insulator - and we noticed on Tas that there are many Metal jobs - some of which were not necessarily suitable for his skills - but a lot for your OH. In actual fact his nieces boyfriend is a Metal Fabricator/Boilermaker (born Australian) and he earns $34 an hour doing his job (and people were saying whilst we were out there that was a good hourly rate for a tradesperson). In Tas the hourly rate can vary between $20-$30 depending on company/experience etc etc....

The same applied to Perth as well - plenty of work there - although having seen the industrial area of Kwinana - my OH said he'd rather not work there - which is where he imagined a lot of his work might be!
We also have two children - one nearly 5 and the other 1.
If you're unsure where to settle - there's no rush - you can get your visa's and do a trip (if you can afford it) to see what you prefer.....
My OH has close family living in Perth so he'd been many times in the past - although it had changed considerably since his previous visit. We could make things easier for ourselves and move where there are relatives that would be able to help with the moving process/settling in side of things - but the pull of the place wasn't strong enough for us to choose to do that.

There are so many different places in Oz that it's hard to choose!
We have said that because Tasmania is only an hours flight from the Mainland that if we did decide it wasn't for us after a 6months to a year that we will check out area's surrounding Melbourne - then at least the costs of moving furniture etc again wouldn't be too bad as moving back here to the UK! Hopefully that wont be necessary for us though as we're hoping we'll love it.

We hope to move after the summer - fingerscrossed for a quick house sale once it goes on the market in a couple of months....

Good luck with your visa application.
:D

DEEDEE01 Jan 3rd 2008 8:04 pm

Hi There,

Welcome to BE, I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need on here, the people are a wealth of knowledge !

Ready your post was like reading my first post (minus the kids!!), my OH is not far from 30 and I'm 25 next week and he is also in the Metal Fabrication / Boiler Maker trade !!

We are debating on Perth or Brisbane, but after reading about Tasmania, not sure now !! The place sounds great, exactly what we are looking for. We are looking to start a family pretty soon, so this would suit us great I think :confused:

Going to look into Tassie and do a bit of research.

If you have any questions, just drop me an e-mail.

Donna.
x

brian.w Jan 3rd 2008 10:01 pm

I am a pipefitter and torn between perth and qld also,i am waiting for my visa now,but someday i will need to pick one and cant decide.
I am used to working in the oil and gas industry,both on site and offshore on the rigs so thinking perth is best suited for that,but to live i am not sure,wish it was easy easy to pick.
I have no ties and going alone so kind of a bonus there,as i am not tied to where i should head or be really.

melaniee Jan 3rd 2008 10:21 pm

Nah Worzel, the OP !!

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5732566)
Me??? Are you having a laugh? I get abuse on here because I keep banging on about how much I love the place:lol:

melaniee Jan 3rd 2008 10:23 pm

Agree-don't think it can be healthy to work in the Kwinana area.

Unfortunately it has to go somewhere ! (but has ruined a lovely piece of coastline in the process !)

Originally Posted by travelbug (Post 5733982)
The same applied to Perth as well - plenty of work there - although having seen the industrial area of Kwinana - my OH said he'd rather not work there - which is where he imagined a lot of his work might be!

:D

Sham Williams Jan 25th 2008 12:48 am

I would say Adelaide to there is so much work for Metal Fabricators here, when we came on our rekkie trip OH went for 6 interviews and got offered 5 jobs, so just proves in demand here!!

Infact so in demand we have just bought our own Fabrication company, unfortunatly not looking to hire anyone just yet, but shows how much work there is about!!

Adelaide is great for young families to!

flowergal Jan 25th 2008 4:17 am

Originally Posted by worzel (Post 5732566)

Me too Worzel !!!!!!:thumbsup:
blinking:thumbup: hot today